close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Taurus 85 Help

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by CarRamRod, Jan 27, 2010.

1. CarRamRod

CarRamRod Liter of Cola

A friend of mine recently had her home burglarized. Before even telling me about that she went to her local gun shop and they sold her a Taurus snubbie in .38 special. I'm pretty sure it's a model 85. So after finding out she has never shot before I dragged her to the range. In sa she does fine but in da she can barely pull the trigger. Is there a simple fix to lighten the trigger or is this a bad idea on a HD gun? I've also read that some shops won't even work on a Taurus revolver. Any ideas?

2. eyelikeglasses

eyelikeglasses Hooah, Hooah.

Put a couple hundred rounds thru it DA for her and it should lighten up.

3. serger

serger

4. CBennett

CBennett

1 of 2 things and YES the Taurus trigger IS heavy..a bit too much so. lots of shooting to break it in..take it to a COMPETENT gunsmith and tell him what you need he should be able to EASILY do it(lighten and smooth the trigger). I would go with option 2 then get in lots of option 1. That said she should have tried out the trigger to see if she could pull it lol..but thats not the question. I have the 85 CH its a great little shubby I want to also get the trigger done...even after quite a few rounds down range its still a bit "heavy" im betting thats where a Smith or Colt is probably better???? I KNOW a LCR is a TON better(meaning better trigger)

5. method

method

Don't even have to do that, just dry fire it several hundred times. Next easiest step is the Wolff spring kit that Serger mentions.

6. diamondmike

diamondmike

Even though Taurus is junk IMO they are famous for having a light smooth trigger pull on their revolvers.

You can cut a coil or two off the main spring and that will lighten trigger pull but will also lighten how hard the primers get hit.
    Too light and the gun will not fire because of a light primer strike.

Just be thankful the gun fires at all being a Taurus.

7. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

There is a BIG difference between Taurus revolvers, and their semi-autos.

I have multiple Taurus revolvers that are 20+ years old. They all have been fine, dependable shooters. If you hate Taurus firearms so much, then maybe you shouldn't bother reading threads that have the word "Taurus" in the title.

8. diamondmike

diamondmike

I am interested in reading about problems that other people had with their piece of junk Taurus.

Dont tell me about their guns work good because I have had plenty of experience with the Taurus both revolvers and semi-autos.
    Their guns look sharp and they use some exotic metals but after shooting about 500 rounds through one of them problems start.
    My last Taurus was the Total Titanium 357 Magnum revolver and it shot fine until about 300 rounds and then the lock-up pin that comes out of the cylinder and into the frame under the firing pin broke.
    I have had a number of Taurus guns and had problems with everyone of them except a Taurus 92 9mm Luger that I have.

You will see what I mean sooner or later.

9. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

Good guns. Spotty customer service. They are quite good quality, but I agree, the trigger is a little heavy for a girl. Plenty of dry firing did not noticeably affect the trigger on the one I bought for my wife, positively or negatively. Any competent shop that works on revolvers will work on an 85.

10. rfd339

rfd339

Dry fire it UNLOADED and should lighten up and keep it stock as possible . I have a had good luck with there firearms in the past.

11. motorcyclist

motorcyclist

I bought a Taurus 85 snubbie in stainless in 1992 (maybe 93') and have countless rounds through it with no problems. From the start it has had a very nice trigger in SA and DA. If yours is that stiff in DA I'd look into a spring kit for her. I understand they are very close in design to a S&W J frame so what ever smooths them out my work on that Taurus.

12. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

I do not know about the 85 model... .38 Special I am pretty sure. I have a Model 94 in .22lr, after about 200 rounds you will have a blister on your trigger finger. That being said, I love the gun. If I had to guess that little Taurus has seen more rounds than anything else I own.

13. farmer2

farmer2

Went through this same exact scenario with a friend when she purchased an 85. Had my gunsmith do a trigger job on it and it turned out better then most of my high end revolvers stock triggers (only $45).

farmer

14. StrokenMerc

StrokenMerc StrokenMerc

Buy the Shooters spring pack from Midway. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=573848
    I installed them and test fired it today. It makes a huge difference in the trigger pull. I read that the main spring might be too light to fire the primers on some ammo. I shot WWB and Federal Hydrashoks and had no issues. I figured for $7 it wouldn't hurt to try and am very pleased with the results. If you have issues when using both springs, try using the stock main spring and reduced power trigger spring.

Keep Stroken

15. CBennett

CBennett

please stop just wow:upeyes:

16. CBennett

CBennett

they read these threads just so they can bash lol..im sure we all know people like that.

17. CBennett

CBennett

I think thats what im gonna do..I got plenty of rounds through mine trigger pull is still harder than id like. good gun works flawlessly just needs a better trigger..its not unshootable by any means just not as smooth as some of the revolvers ive shot in the past..it is however as RELIABLE as any revolver ive ever owned.

18. farmer2

farmer2

I agree, I was very impressed with the gun. I actually wish I had one just like it.

19. cornnutt

cornnutt

where can u find the spring kits? cheap?

20. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

Are you just as interested in the threads from folks who have had nothing but good service from their Taurus revolvers for many years
    ..........and many more than 500 rounds???