taurus 709 slim

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 81jasonG23, Oct 22, 2010.

1. 81jasonG23

81jasonG23 Wheres the beef

hey guys,

its been a while since my last post. I've been looking at a taurus 709 slim lately. Seems to have some pretty good reviews on it.

Anyone with some experience care to tell me what they think?

thanks -

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Search for 709 under my user name, I did a review a few months back. My only problems are related to the mags, but those problems are significant. I would NOT recommend the 709 based on my experience. There are plenty of satisified owners though judging from the Taurus forums I've browsed.

3. ctfireman

ctfireman

Also search my posts. I had a 709 for a while. In short...it was ok except for the long horrible trigger. If you do get one be sure to clean it with great detail bc it comes PACKED with factory grease.

4. CBennett

CBennett

Check out the latest issue of Guns and Ammo "Handguns" magazine they did a article on "bargain" handguns. its called "Bargain 9mm shootout". The competitors were the Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro,Kel-Tec PF9,Stoeger Cougar, and the Taurus PT709 Slim. They were trying to keep prices under $450. The Author summed up in the end that he would Choose the Taurus Slim for its combination of size,trigger(good),and accuracy but your top pick should be determined by your needs.

5. auburn4

auburn4

I saw that pistolsandparts.com has one on their website. I have purchased some sigs from him and he is a nice person to deal with. I like a long trigger pull on my carry gun.

6. matt c

matt c

I personally would choose something like a Walther PPS over the taurus. I'm not into "bargain" pistols myself.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  7. Vigilant

Vigilant

Finger grooves on the pps suck for my hands.

For just a few dollars more, you can get a Kahr P9. If you are in LE or an allied field, you can go through budspolicesupply.com and pick up a CW9 for $372 shipped, with 1 mag.

I have a Slim. Liked it a lot until I found Bud's LE discounts.

Get the CW9.

8. austin_tx

austin_tx

And some pretty bad ones, too. I'd stay far, far away.

9. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

I have had one, and it looked like they were trying to achieve a consistent number of FTE's per magazine. They were quite successful at that. I was in a 'saving some money' mood when I bought it, I was seriously p%$d when I sold it.

Ended up learning a valuable lesson on 'bargain guns': more often than not, the bargain is not yours.

The sad story ends well though: I have bought a Walther PPS and found bliss: quality costs more, delivers more. In this case, flawless, accurate, high-level finish. I passed by my club briefly today just to shoot a few rounds with it and left with a smile, and the memory of a ragged hole in the center of the target. That is a carry gun, the slim in my opinion is a joke.

10. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I've been wanting a 9mm PPS for over a year. Someday....

11. kempeh

kempeh

The trigger is terribly long. When I shot a friend's I thought the gun had malfunctioned a few times but it was only because I hadn't pulled the trigger far enough. Apparently 1/2 inch pull just starts to engage the trigger itself.

12. oldcop1971

oldcop1971

my son bought one used, jammed about two or three times per magazine. sent it back and got a new ejector on it, now 100 percent. great little 9mm. i'd carry one for a bug if i had one.
    oc

13. VBVAGUY

VBVAGUY

I have one and have over 2000+ problem free rounds through mine. I believe the earlier 2009 models had problems with the extractor, but latest ones seem to be problem free. I hope this helps. God Bless :)

14. deathpriest

deathpriest

Mine Feeds and shoots everything I load it with, 200+ rounds in 3 months. Trigger is slack is long and pull is heavy. Reset is very short. Sights are off and should go back for it. Shows some blemished on the finish, not sure if it is corrosion. I keep it pretty well lubed inside and out. I like the form factor.