close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

taurus 709 slim or keltec pf9

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by eamonher, Jan 7, 2010.

1. eamonher

eamonher

Which one? If neither of them, why?

2. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Keltec just cause the taurus is new and unproven

3. eamonher

eamonher

is it reliable?

4. Burns

Burns

I might wait on the Taurus; it's a very new model and lots of folks are having trouble and are having to send them back to the manufacturer. I think the "slim" is an excellent and promising design, but the first generation of many pistols have problems.

The PF9, when it first came out, also had problems. Most of these have been resolved.

In my opinion, the PF9 will be more comfortbale to carry since it is smaller and lighter, but it is a bear to shoot. The Taurus will be a smooth shooter and will be very controllable, but won't carry as light.

Finally, the trigger on the Taurus is a single action, with a double action second-strike feature. The PF9, on the other hand, is a long and heavy DA pull. I would rather have the Taurus in a gun fight, but I would rather carry the PF9 every day. It's all about compromises; you pick.

That said, I like the Taurus.

5. eamonher

eamonher

how long ago did the 709 come out? So it still have problems. Im kind of paranoid on a gun reliability the keltec more reliable right now?

6. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

If the Keltec has an issue, they'll fix it.

If the Taurus has an issue, good luck.

7. Dandapani

Dandapani

My son bought a PF9 couple years ago. Had problem (ejector broke off). Quick trip to the factory and they replaced the frame with new design (replaceable ejector). Ket-Tec just keeps making them better and better.

8. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Pretty much sums it up, but if I may modify a quote a little a manufacturers will to fix a problem means nothing when your gun fails during a zombie attack

9. 4lifeglocker

4lifeglocker

Handled a pf9 but never shot one not too impressed. I would save up and get the walther pps 9mm its my edc and its accurate and reliable. Its the single stack 9mm glock should have made.

10. eamonher

eamonher

I'll eventually get one of those as well

11. Burns

Burns

I don't know the date; it couldn't have been a year since it became available. More like 6 months or less, I think. I'm sure you can google that if you really want to know.

I believe it is a "crap shoot" between them. You could buy either one and it could be either reliable or unreliable. They both have lifetime warranties. From what I have heard, Kel-tec service is superior in terms of turnaround time. Most of the guns that are returned to them are back within two weeks; double that for Taurus. Again, this is just what I see / hear.

The problem I have with the PF9 is the trigger. A trigger like that just kills accuracy for me. Some folks will say "you just have to get used to it." For me, a single action trigger is just going to be faster and more accurate.

I would prefer to have the Taurus in terms of defensive use. It feels like a "hand full of gun" whereas the PF9 feels like a "little gun" and moves in my hand. Of course, I have big hands and this will vary according to the user. The Taurus has nicer sights, IMO, and it appears to have slightly better workmanship. The PF9 will carry lighter. I would recommend handling both, and hopefully trying the triggers out.

It seems no one can build a tiny 9mm auto that is what I would call "Glock reliable." At least not as consistently as Glock builds them. You will hear statements like "but...but...I have 600 rounds through my Kel-tec and it's been perfect!" Yes, but the question is, how many guns out of 100 have problems? This is hard to answer because when the guns don't work, people are more likely to post on the forums. If you go over to KTOG, how many of the new members first found the website when their new gun started jamming on their first range trip...LOTS! By comparision, how many threads do you see here saying "I just bought a Glock 19 and I can't get through a magazine without it jamming." On top of that, Glock sells many times more pistols than Kel-tec and Taurus combined. While we don't have a scientific measure of how reliable these guns are compared to one another, some things are obvious.

I'm waiting until the Taurus has been out a bit longer, and they've worked out the bugs. I think the gun is great, conceptually.

ETA: I'm not sure about the Walther. I've heard it's real reliable and it looks really nice. How do the specs compare to the Taurus in terms of size?

12. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

Neither.

Why? Because of this, coming out later this year:

[​IMG]
    BERSA BP9cc

TGG

13. eamonher

eamonher

price range?

14. smokey45

smokey45

I have been pleased with my PF9. I've owned it 3yrs or so. Carries and shoots great. It's been 100% reliable to date. The trigger travel is long, but light. If you can shoot a DA revolver well, you'll have no problem with this trigger. I've had several shooting buddies shoot mine. Most shot it pretty well. Great carry gun at a great price.
    s45

15. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

I believe it is going to MSRP around $430, so it should sell at about $350, less if they have a sale because it's new.

I would take Bersa over KT and Taurus any day of the week, and at HALF the price and just as reliable as the Walther PPS, it's really a no-brainer!

TGG

16. Burns

Burns

That Bersa LOOKS like it has more "height" than the Taurus slim. Does anyone have the measurements?

Personally, I feel myself drifting towards a PM9.

17. Reb 56

Reb 56

Walther PPS better Pistol than KT or Taurus a lttle more pricey tho.

18. eamonher

eamonher

how many rounds through it?

19. voyager4520

voyager4520

If you get a PF9, get one with a metal magazine catch. As long as it has that, it has all the necessary upgrades. You might check ktog.org, tons of Kel-Tec info. I've been considering getting a PF9 lately.

20. smokey45

smokey45

Around 400. ( Ballpark) I shoot it just enough to verify function.
    s45