close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tattoo Policies

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by nolacop, Jan 16, 2010.

1. nolacop

nolacop

Im curious as to whether or not your dept has a tattoo policy. It seems more dept's are implenting tattoo policies requiring an officer to wear long sleeves year round for any visual tattoos. I have heard of some dept's who wont even allow you to apply with visible tattoos. Personally, I think as long as it isnt offense in nature and not on the hands, neck or face it shouldnt be of concern.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. COBRA90GT

COBRA90GT

Yes, policy exists. Must be covered - for those with tats prior to "policy" coming out on them, you are "grandfathered" in, per the policy...

3. cash

cash

They have to be covered when in uniform. There are a few guys who are grandfathered in I guess because they are allowed to have their's visible. Mine, covered up. Not an issue 6 months of the year when I'm in long sleeves, mildly annoying when I'm in short sleeves.

(I'm in the process of having one lasered off right now ... it's slow, expensive, and it hurts. Getting *that* tat inked *there* was not one of my better plays.)

4. silverado_mick

silverado_mick

No written policy, but generally understood that they not extend to hands or up ionto the head. We had one guy with full sleeves, chest, back, and legs almost covered, he did have a piece on the back of his neck that you could just see over the collar of his shirt.

Not for me, but I don't have a problem with it. The guy I'm talking about was a great officer who worked his *** off and left for greener pastures. I personally think policies prohibiting tattoos are limiting otherwise qualified applicants from applying (just like a minimum college requirement does).

5. CAcop

CAcop

We have no formal policy. There was a non sworn employee who was told "no more tats on your forearms" a few years back. He no longer works for us for other reasons. We do have one oficer who was hired with a tat on his forearm. Others have gotten them so they are mostly hidden by short sleeves.

Considering our area as long as we don't have lip, nose, or eyebrow piercings or no face tats we would be considered clean cut. I also hear our chief is willing to let us have beards in uniform if someone were to float a memo requesting it. No one has yet though.

6. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

We used to have no policy and you could freely show your tattoos. But that was before we hired a couple of people with some weird, borderline satanic, and offensive tats. And then one of our senior experiences guys went nuts on vacation and came back with some weirdass full sleeve that was absolutely horrific in a sort sleeve uniform. Then in a typical deskjockey admin knee jerk reaction, they banned all tats, no matter what they were. Patrolman even with non-offensive tats had to wear long sleeves year round. Now they've relaxed a little and take it on a case by case basis. We've allowed some people to go back to short sleeves, but some can't. They simply told those that complained that they had a job and could keep it under their terms, or not.

I try to tell people to keep their ink in a location that can be covered easily and keep it to themselves and to think about the decision to get ink. Instead of getting tattoos that have significant personal or spiritual value, and keeping it to themselves, a lot of people now days get any old picture they think looks cool and decide they need to show the world how individual they are. And they don't seem to think through the ramifications of those decisions.

7. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

My department's policy is no visible tats in summer class A's. If it is visible upon hiring, you must have it removed.

8. cash

cash

I'm sporting a full beard right now. I grow one every winter. Full beards (well kempt ... whatever that means ... I'd guess it means whatever the Sgt and Lt says it means) are a-okay. My prior department had no policy on tats, but facial hair, except for a moustache, was verboten.

9. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

Ours is pretty lenient. Nothing offensive, nothing on the hands, neck or face.

I have had my arm tattoos visible in short sleeves since I was hired. Now my leg tattoos are usually visible.

10. davis513

davis513

Tattoos are covered in our written directive on Uniform and Personal Appearance and states:

Tattoos and Brands
    a. Tattoos or brands cannot be visible on the head, face, chest or neck.
    b. Visible tattoos or brands cannot be vulgar, indecent, sexist, racist, or
    incite sexual thoughts.
    c. Visible tattoos cannot be more than 2.5 inches in length or 1 inch in
    width and number more than one per limb, including the hand.
    d. Tattoos that do not meet the above specifications must be covered by
    clothing that meets the guidelines of this directive, tattoo-covering
    makeup consistent with the employee’s skin tone or by an approved
    “Tat-Jacket.” Any other method for covering tattoos must be approved
    by the Executive Staff. These items must be purchased at the
    employee’s expense

11. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

We have no real policy... but I think full sleeves, neck, forehead and lip tattoos look idiotic with or without an uniform.

Mine peeks out a bit in short sleeves when I extend my arms but barely and if you aren't observant, as 99% of the sheeple out there, you won't even notice. I did have a lady ask me last week though, she was a bit surprised and blurted out, "They let you guys have tattoos!?!?!" and I said as long as it's not offensive or all over the place, it's not an issue.

Heck... our Chief has one displayed openly too....

12. Flatfoot

Flatfoot

we have no policy concerning tattoos. I think we should have a policy that states they should at least be covered as there are quite a few officers in my pct. that have full sleeves. Ehh, to each their own I guess.

13. tc556guy

tc556guy

We've just implemented a tattoo policy, but since I'm not back to work yet, I'm not sure that its been implemented. From the policy letter I read, it sounds like they are trying to ban visible tats.

14. robotoid

robotoid

We just impleted one last year, covering tattoos, piercings, and a whole bunch of other stuff I'd never even heard of. WTF is "fleshing"? I don't know, but it's covered in there. Doesn't affect me, so I don't really care. I think they're trashy when they appear with the uniform of a para-military organization.

15. nolacop

nolacop

Every dept is so worried about the negative image visible tattoos portray. They should worry about how unprofessional obese cops look while in uniform. I rather see a fit cop sporting sleeve tattoos instead of some fat cop who cant scale a 6ft fence. Where are our priorities?

16. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

No tattoo policy, but somehow I think anyone who really goes overboard and get his/her head done and what have you wouldn't make it past initial screening.

Other places are OK.

17. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Well, scaling fences isn't in our job requirements. But, being able to shoot them off of it is.:supergrin:

Besides, I thought it was a requirement to look pretty.

18. matt86

matt86 Oink Oink

Here they only make sure that your tattoos aren't gang related or offensive during the hiring process. We have no tattoo policy as of yet though. It bothers me that some departments aren't allowing people to apply that have visible tattoos even if they can be covered with a long sleeve uniform though.

19. Bobshouse

Bobshouse

So your saying this really wouldn't be acceptable?

[​IMG]