targets?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Pat S, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Pat S

Pat S Millennium Member

I did a search for D-1 cardboard targets and came up with a blank other than The Target Barn which has a "new" D-1 with a black center and visible scoring rings. Is this going to be the replacement at GSSF matches? If not, does anyone have a source for the old perforated D-1? New target looks like it would be much easier to shoot.

thanks

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

3. ede

ede

i just got a box from target barn about a month ago

4. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

We make ours. One of our group fabricated what I call the Iron Maiden, resembles a dart board in a pub, but is really simply a jig, with nails of the right length driven through one side mirroring the scoring rings. So we are cardboard hounds. Lay the cardboard in, trim with utility knife around the jig (which is size of a D1) and then tap-dance on it a bit to create scoring ring serrations. Takes longer to type this than it does to make a target.
    :supergrin:

:patriot:

5. Don At PC

That's called "Practicing for retirement early". I haven't asked you lately; "How many days"? :rofl: :thumbsup: :wavey:

6. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

That's a cool idea.

A slightly simpler approach would be to make your full size plywood D-1 jig, but just put one nail right where the center of the circles would be.

Then, just use a compass to make the circles in light pencil. You might just make the B ring, since that is what you will be shooting for.

No, you probably won't be able to see the light pencil mark. But, under some lighting you cannot see it at a GSSF match either. This would allow you to practice the worst conditions and it will be that much easier for you when you CAN see the circles.

Scott told me they get their targets from TargetBarn. GSSF intends to stay with the classic D-1 mainly because the new target would require two different colors of pasters. That would not only pose a logistical hassle, but the ROs having to switch back and forth would slow down the pasting process and thereby slow the match as well.

UPS Shipping charges on a box of D-1's costs almost as much as the targets themselves! Scott said that the past few years, they have taken advantage of the match in Indianapolis to swing by Toledo, where TB is, and pick up a year's supply of 4 or 5,000 targets in GSSF's trailer, thereby saving a LOT in shipping costs.

7. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

I am not schizophrenic. And neither am I.

:supergrin:

8. Don At PC

No not me, me, me, me, me :rofl: :thumbsup: :wavey:

9. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Took longer to quote & post this than it does to make a target. We make 40 of 'em in pretty short order; 2 people can get that done in 1/2 hour.

Honest; I wouldn't lie about this, no matter which one of you I'm talking to.
    :animlol:

10. Ghost361

Ghost361

Is GSSF thinking of changing as the NRA has. The reasons behind the change were good and hopefully GSSF will follow. Any rumors?????

11. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

:zipmouth: You're not cleared any more for that; I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself laughing. But it's a very small number.

12. Don At PC

I am shocked, just totally shocked that you think I would laugh. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :wavey:

Don

13. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

6 years, 5 months and 9 days but who's counting. Oh you mean UNTIL retirement, I was thinking SINCE I retired. :) Brings tears to your eyes doesn't it Wes? ;)

14. Don At PC

How about 15 years, 10 months and 23 days. :tongueout: :shocked: :rofl: :thumbsup: :wavey: ;)

15. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

True, but you're much older than I. ;)

To the topic at hand I'd rather buy them than make them, just lazy I guess.

16. Don At PC

True; Buttttttt you foregot to mention how much more handsome I am than you. :rofl: :rofl: :tongueout: :thumbsup: :wavey: ;)

But back on topic, I also order mine usually from Speedwell. I am far too busy to mess with cutting them out. Heck I am retired and believe in being "Low Maintenance".:thumbsup:

17. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

:animlol:
    I never want to hurry time along. Makes my friends older. ;)