Target Sport USA - buyer beware

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Deputydave, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

I wanted to pass on my experience with Target Sport USA.

As many here know, I'm an agency instructor and I also teach private citizens (I'm very big on law abiding private citizens having their CCW and exercising their 2nd Amendment rights). As such I have periods where I use a good bit of ammunition. Normally I just run down to Walmart because I have four of them within a 15 minute drive and honestly their prices are often hard to beat. However, I get emails from companies like CTD, CDNN, Target Sport USA etc. Target Sport USA emailed a deal on some ammo that I use for training and the price was just a tad lower than Walmart. I hadn't ordered from them before so I figured I'd give them a shot. So I ordered 1000 rounds. I was a bit concerned as it was just before the holidays but their website said the ammo was in stock and if you ordered in the next 'X' amount of hours it would ship that day (12/21/15) and it would arrive 12/24/15. Well, I mistakenly figured they knew what they were doing so I ordered, well within the time frame to have it shipped that day. I had tracking through FedEx and paid the extra for insurance. By the expected arrival date FedEx indicated that only a label had been created. I waited until after the weekend as they were closed. Called yesterday (Monday 12/28/15) and the ammo had not even shipped yet. They apologized and stated on the phone that it would be sent that morning. I got off the phone a little miffed too be honest. I had ordered from other companies in the same time frame and had already received the orders.

I emailed them (to have a record of the conversation) to let them know they had an unhappy customer (it was a professionally scripted complaint detailing everything and not just a *****-fest letter). I got a last minute end-of-the-day email from a representative (9 minutes before the company closed) that he would 'check the warehouse'. That's all I heard from him. This morning I checked FedEx and nothing had shipped. I see this as a failure to fulfill their stated obligation by shipping the same day, failure to fulfill their obligation to ship when I called 8 days later and failure to professionally follow up on the situation by their CS. And 9 days later the package is still sitting in their warehouse. I called and cancelled the order completely. From the quickness of the call and the sound of the woman's voice I take it that I'm not the only one that has cancelled an order recently. No 'we're very sorry' or 'what can we do to make this right' or anything of the sort. The whole call lasted less than 30 seconds.

I've had great success with other firearm/ammunition companies. Perhaps others have had success with this one but my first (and only) experience with them was less than professional and unacceptable. I will not order from them again.

ESAFO, Sonu, crockett and 1 other person like this.
  2. gadgetnut259

gadgetnut259

You might want to call your credit card company and inform them of the situation. If Target Sport fails to do your refund, you will have record of the dispute on file already.

Paul53 and Deputydave like this.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

This is why I don't like to deal with "new" internet companies. I like to stick to the old reliable ones.

Deputydave likes this.
  4. Planetcat

Planetcat

I've used target sports USA, not sure if it's the same as target sport USA, but had a smooth transaction with them at a good price. I wasn't trying yo get 1000 rounds shipped to me three days before Christmas, though.

ithaca_deerslayer and zukyota like this.
  5. Deputydave

If they can't fulfill the obligation that they state they can fulfill then they have no business making the obligation. And apparently the time of year isn't the issue...it's the company.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/TargetSportsUSA_5

Some satisfied customers but also some very unsatisfied customers:

And it seems this problem has been going on for years:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...nd-one-place-stay-away-target-sports-usa.html

So they have no business making a commitment to ship the same day that the order is placed if they don't follow through. Particularly since the order still wasn't shipped 9 days later yet my card was charged the same day I ordered. That is unprofessional and unacceptable. And apparently my experience wasn't an isolated event.

ESAFO, crockett and Paul53 like this.
  6. Planetcat

Planetcat

I wasn't implying that you were in the wrong to complain. My point was that many internet companies deliver under normal circumstances, but completely fail when the customer needs them to step up to make a sale.

7. Deputydave

I understand what you're saying. When talking about this with some folks on another forum I came to find out that there had been a lot of complaints, some of which I listed above. In today's connected internet world one would think a company would bend over backwards to make sure they fulfill the service they've promised. Or at least provide much better communication when they can't. In this case, and apparently in a plethora of other cases dating back years, they have continually failed to provide the service they state on their website. And they've lost business because of it.

8. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker SuperOwner

Well known FEDEX failure this season. Don't be so quick to blame seller.

FEDEX stopping delivering anything but overnight and 2 day a few days before Xmas. In fact, they also stopped picking up anything at all around 12/20 here in my area of Texas.

Even then some 2 day packages have not arrived. I know this because my 2 day shipped 12/20 and did not arrive till 12/28, and am still awaiting one shipped 2 Day 12/21.

Like yours mine was label created, no action, and then arrived under different tracking number. All of this nonsense is documented in various FEDEX forums, etc.

So even if seller did ship it, FEDEX probably would not have picked it up and almost certainly would not have delivered it in time.

misunderestimated likes this.
  9. grumpy1

grumpy1

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/TargetSportsUSA_5

Out of 9316 reviews they score a 9.61 out of 10 which IMO is excellent. Obviously a lot if not almost all customers have had great transactions with them.

Sorry to hear you had a problem. They are most likely a very small company and probably stretched very thin with the latest ammo panic plus holiday season shipping delays and problems.

You might try SGAmmo sometime. They have great prices, reasonable shipping, and for me have always delivered in a timely manner.

I have found that if I need something by a specific timeline I always do that purchasing locally as too much can go wrong depending on getting something via internet/phone/mail order no matter whom it is ordered from..

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  10. r3dot

r3dot

Thanks for the heads up. Other ammo companies are honest with expectations. Some specifically state that shipping may be delayed 3-4 days.

ESAFO likes this.
  11. Deputydave

If it was a problem with FedEx then they should have informed me yesterday when I called them. Also, their CS should have informed me when I emailed them. That would have been understandable and not a reflection on them as it would have been beyond their control. But they didn't say anything about FedEx at all. Only that it was to be shipped out yesterday and once again did not fulfill the promise. There is nothing on their website about delays either to let the consumer know that shipping is currently an issue. That's why I emailed CS and gave them an opportunity to explain any unforeseen situation and what they were doing to resolve it. All I got was 'I'll check the warehouse' at the end of the day with no follow up. That just doesn't solve the issue or inform me the consumer.

Thanks, I'll give them a shot. Appreciate the recommendation.

12. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker SuperOwner

Agreed, my shipper told me and of course FEDEX problems for Xmas were all over the news so I knew anyway.

Still waiting on 2 day shipped 12/20. FEDEX has not returned any calls....

13. dpadams6

dpadams6

I've ordered from them many times and never had a problem. During the holidays, ammo company's, like all other company's, are swamped and have big delays in getting their product shipped. Also, fed ex may to be, at least, partially to blame.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ithaca_deerslayer and Rockermann like this.
  14. GAFinch

GAFinch

I second this recommendation. I ordered from them the Friday before Christmas. Despite a warning of holiday delays, they shipped out my order the same day.

I've also been very happy getting ammo from Palmetto State Armory. Despite notorious delays and issues shipping out AR items, their ammo division has always been very prompt and organized for me and for others (usually shipping out the next day and arriving at my door a day after that).

15. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

I have ordered from them at least a dozen times (thier free shipping on bulk cases really give them an edge on price). And overall I'm a happy customer. Yes, their shipping is slow, usually takes about 10 days or so for it to even update with a tracking number. But once it ships it's about 2-3 days to my door step. So roughly 2 weeks before I get my order is the norm. Sometimes I guess I'm lucky and it'll only be a week. I never run out of ammo completely. So for me, the time frame isn't an issue considering the price.

Guess it's one of those things where you can only pick 2 of 3. Fast, cheap, good service, choose your two

16. Glock 23 Nutter

Glock 23 Nutter

Well...

According to my records, I have Five(5) bulk purchases from Target Sports USA.

All were at a great price, free shipping, transacted/ billed/ shipped w/ email notification every step in a professional and timely manner.

I would do business w/ them again in a heartbeat.

I also wouldn't be naive enough to expect that an order, on Christmas Eve week, wouldn't maybe have a problem.

The real world is an imperfect place, especially retail around the Holidays.

Nutter

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    nmk and krankase like this.
  17. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

I used to work for a company that operated 'under the table' and had questionable business dealings. I wonder if this company is doing the same?

The company I very briefly worked for:
    -Customer orders item X. Customer via website or phone item X is in stock. Their card is charged.
    -Item X really NOT in stock. The manufacturer of Item X only gets a prepaid order from distributor once a week. So, if you order on Tuesday and they don't order until Thursday, you're down three days already.
    -Item X arrives the following Monday to distributor and is received. Then, on Tuesday the order is picked and set for shipping. It goes out via ground on Wednesday (if you're lucky) and arrives 2-4 business days later.

I HATED how this company operated. My guess is that 70% of their generated orders cancelled before completion. But, they lived off that interest they had parked in the bank for 7-10 days before you figured out it was taking much longer to get your items and cancelled.

Sad, and yes they were very active in a certain 'religion' known for being cheap. I harbor no ill against them for their religion, only how they operated their shady business.

18. plp

plp

Very similar experience with a well known company. 4 times I ordered and paid for either firearms or ammo they claimed to have in stock. Money stayed tied up for as long as 14 days before being returned to my account, all 4 times they sent an email within 72 hours saying they were out of stock. I finally quit wasting my time with them.

19. Deputydave

You must not have read the thread :dunno:

If a product is listed as being in stock then it needs to be in stock. If a company lists that they will ship your product the same day as ordered, then it needs to be shipped the same day as ordered. If they say it will be shipped on the day you call, then it needs to be shipped on the day you call. If there is an extenuating circumstance beyond their control and they have the opportunity of two phone calls and an email to inform the customer they need to take that opportunity rather than making further promises they don't intend to fulfill. Anything less than that is unprofessional and a company I will not do business with. They could also have posted a notice on their website of any situations that were delaying shipments, they did not.

You feel free to support them and I hope all your transactions are smooth as glass. But my first experience with them will be my last.

In terms of ordering on Christmas Eve week, I ordered other products from other companies that all shipped on time and arrived on time. So blaming it on the time of year is naive. Bottom line....they never shipped my product. And from the reviews I've posted (a fraction) the time of year was not relevant.

ESAFO likes this.
  20. FelixD

FelixD

I am another lost customer of TargetSport USA. They promise the moon and don't deliver. I paid for expedited shipping that never happened, missed the final date for a Remington rebate because of it, had their CS rep try to tell me things where "just too busy" in the office because of a holiday to find my order, sent the order to the wrong address, etc, etc............................... There are too many good companies who sell the same merchandise for the same price that are responsible and well managed to do business with TargetSport USA.

ESAFO and Deputydave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.