close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Target panic?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by trlcavscout, Sep 2, 2011.

1. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

So I have experienced this in archery as well but I took my new G26 to the indoor range today to start working on my 25yd groups (if you can call them groups) and I noticed it bad. I get the sights lined up and almost on target then its like I have to get the shot off NOW! I noticed it is worse at the farther targets all most like my mind doesnt want to have to concentrate that much? Any ideas for getting over this? I dont notice it at matches (although my targets show it) because I am shooting faster, but slow concentrated fire it really shows up.

Maybe more outside dry fire practice at objects farther away?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

25 yards with a 26? Try starting at 7 and work your way out...

3. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Everyone has a figure 8 wobble, EVERYONE. The key is making it small so the front sight doesn't travel to far.
    Are you getting the "perfect" shot and then going with a fast trigger pull, aka jerking the trigger or taking the slack up and letting the break surprise you?

Where are you hitting? Is it a shotgun pattern?

4. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

Its centered for the most part but high. Some after shooting a while were going low. Yes I try for the perfect sight picture then when I get close I jerk the trigger to get it over with? I do it at closer ranges also but at 10yds its not enough to throw the shot off.

5. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

Out to 15 or so I can keep the shots in the rings of a 5 spot target. The 20-25 is where I need to work.

6. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

BREATHE

Practise breathing

Breathe in and exhale

Breathe in again and exhale and at the bottom of your breathe squeese gently and let the shot go on its own

any course that I have taken and then had to quailify to pass. I used to run up and as quick as I could get on target I was blasting away.No matter how much I knew to go slow I would shoot as fast as I could. Fianally a fellow i was training under taught me to breathe better and now I am more relaxed. Remember if your not breathing your dying. BREATHE

When I am competing in GSSF I always take my sight picture as its my time to
    "STOP"
    "TUNE IN"
    and then start to breathe
    Best of luck

7. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Jerking the trigger is not a good thing and the effects are increased the further you are from your target. It may not look bad at 10 yds, but it will be double the error at 20 and double that at 40.

Hitting high, without looking at your target could be breaking the wrist up and/or anticipating recoil and therefore heeling the gun or pushing it.

ETA- Holding a full breath can cause on movement and holding no breath causes a different movement. For me, holding a half breath works best. Shooting groups is one thing, shooting for speed is another.

8. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

Could be anticipating? It is uncomfortable for me to shoot. I am used to my G22 but I am useing this to get back into 9mm until my dealer gets a G17 in. I am determined to get good with the G26, and to get better at long distance but I gotta say I dont care for the sub compacts :supergrin: My hand hurts from the way I grip it, the "M' backstrap was poking my hand, I just dont dig it!

9. GlockinRandall

GlockinRandall Member

I had a really hard time with my 26 and 30SF at first. I felt like I had to grip the hell out of em because the grip felt so short and was shooting all over the place. It kind of clicked once when I was practicing, and I just started gripping and shooting it like my other glocks and now I shoot them about as well as the other ones. Mag extentions help some too, doesn't feel so small.

10. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

Ya I have some extensions but I am trying not to use them. I want to carry without them so I dont want to get used to it.

I used my G27 at the last GSSF match here and it felt good. I removed the backstrap from the G26 and it feels better, but even smaller now. I am thinking I should have picked the gen 3 G26 just for the grip but I would have lost a mag :supergrin:

11. mike g35

mike g35

The "holding a half breath" tip works very well for me also. I have no right to give anyone advice on GSSF match shooting so I'll bow out to the masters here but 25 yards is a long shot and taking your time is a must. S You have to get yourself "in the zone". Focus on your front sight, align your sights, and squeeze the shot off. And if nothing told to you here by the masters works do what I do and blame the gun!!!:supergrin:

12. Noponer

Noponer

Never heard of "target panic", but I do get impatient when the clock is running at competition matches; works OK for USPSA if you go fast enough & hit enough targets... but it's murder at GSSF matches.

Many years ago when I shot target archery, I read about "gold fever" (referring to the gold bullseye on archery targets). I thought it sounded like a dumb idea.... who would release an arrow before they were ready??? Apparently, the premature arrow release has something to do with the tension on the archer's hands, arms & shoulders... the body wants to let go & that gives the brain an urgency. Some archers even added a "clicker" to their bow so the audible signal would OK the release; they would get the arrow on target almost at full draw (1/4" or so before the tip of the arrow slipped out from under the clicker), then pull just a hair more &... click/release.

Later, I was on an extended business trip to Newark, NJ. I stayed there about a month & had to entertain myself at night. One night I drove to Belleville (I think it was... I may be wrong - it was over 40 years ago!) to an indoor archery range & rented a bow to shoot some. Shortly, a few world archery champions I had been reading about in archery magazines came in to practice. I was in my mid-20's then & their presence made me nervous.

When I started to shoot, an extremely weird thing happened. As soon as my bow sight lined up with anything downrange (a spot on the wall, a piece of paper on the floor, etc.) - the arrow was gone! I had little to say about it! After that night, it kept happening to me all the time for a couple of years. Yes, I had to add a clicker to my bow!

If this story says anything about your problem, I think that is to relax more!

13. Aux Bear

Aux Bear

Two things: control your breathing, and front sight, front sight, front sight.

14. SARDG

SARDG

Here is a link to this month's SSUSA (Shooting Sports USA):
    http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/ssusa_201109/index.php#/0

Check out the article on page 22, "The Fine Art of Not Cracking Under Pressure". This is the first of 3 parts and next month it features Jessie Abbate. (I know, she's not 'Abbate' any longer - but I can't remember her last name.)

This is more about controlling pressure and anxiety, than specific techniques for shooting, but I think it has some relevance.

15. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

I agree, archery is where my problem started and cost me a few 3D tournaments! But that was usually the 45-50yd targets.

The sights arent the problem, I have a perfect sight picture I just get jumpy on the trigger like its gonna bite me if I dont pull it as soon as the sights are on target.

I have never been a spot shooter, but this winter I am gonna concentrate hard on bullseyes and groups. I usually do a few combat run and gun time training courses with handgun or AR in the winter but not this year! If the G17's dont come in soon I may get so used to the G26 that I will run it next year, maybe in Vegas?

16. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

Good reading thanks! And thanks to everyone else for the help!

Interesting, I first heard about a basketball player years ago on like 60 minutes who would play a whole game in his head at night laying in bed, pictureing every shot down to the last detail. I seen mental pictureing mentioned in the article. I have tried that but when I get to the point where I am focused on the target and ready to squeeze the trigger I lose mental focus.

17. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

on Sesame Street it was said "what determines the size is where you put your eyes"

Line up your sights on a target at 100 yards.

The sight picture is the same as at 10 yards.

Fire a few rounds at the 100 yard target, or dry fire at it.

NOW move to that realy close target at ONLY 25 yards--piece of cake.

18. mike g35

mike g35

Thank you mam I needed that info also.

19. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Thanks Kitty, that was a good read.

And I REALLY loved that presentation! Like you were reading a magazine, but on the screen, turning the pages (with sound effects) and everything. Way cool.

20. SARDG

SARDG

That's an NRA publication and anyone can sign up for it. You're then notified by e-mail when the new monthly edition is available.
    http://www.nrapublications.org/ssusa/

Again, that article is Part 1 of 3 so I'll be looking for October and November issues.