close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

tapco polymer mage

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Jedi74, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Jedi74

Jedi74

do you guys think these are high quality? do they last long?

thanks!

2. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Personally I wouldn't waste my $ on one of them, I have a buddy that bought a couple of them last year. He's since broken both of them, the locking tabs are plastic with no steel reinforcement and those are what broke, that being said he's just hard on his gear but none of his other AK mags have broken. For a range mag they 'd be fine but for savin your hide mag, do yourself a favor and get a quality mag like a combloc steel.

3. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

So many genuwine 20s an' 30s out there... Like comparin' Obamacare to your old family doctor.

4. Dmeister

Dmeister

I have a bunch and they work just fine. No problems with breaking or excessive wear yet. The locking tab is a little thicker than the metal mags, so you want to check the fit. With the Tapcos, some mag catches are fine, some are tight, and some won't click in place. Mine was of the last variety so while it was in for repairs I had the factory file the mag catch just a little to fit the tapcos and it still worked with all the other mags just fine.

The big bonus with these mags is NO RUST. Tapco also let me know via email that they've had no problems reported from storing them fully loaded (if that's your kinda thing.)

If you load them up using a Lula loader (recommended) for the last two or three rounds you may have to forcefully hold the loader on the mag or it may pop off. If you can't seem to get the last 2 or 3 rounds in no matter what, you can try to smacking the bottom of the mag and try again - the follower is probably getting caught on the spring. Be persistent and it'll pop in place for a full load.

Chances that you'll actually need your AK to "save your hide" is pretty infinitesimally small and the Tapcos come with a lifetime warranty - you break it, they send you another. If you can find them at a good price, get a bunch and enjoy!

5. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

:upeyes: Ummm yeah oooook, it maybe a small chance but the chance does exist, if you're life is only worth a tapco mag that's fine by me. Mine is worth a whole lot more...

Did you ever see Tommy Boy with Chris Farley? At one point he's trying to sell some brake pads but the guy won't buy because "there's no guaratee on the box", Farley's character has an excellent line that you just made me think of. Something to the effect that all you're getting is a guaranteed POS, my steel mags don't come with one, and suprise they don't need to.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  6. my762buzz

my762buzz

Even glock, does not have a polymer mag without any steel embedded
    in critical parts. Feed lips, locking magazine lugs, and anywhere a cartridge is going to abrasively rub against needs to be strong enough to take the abuse.
    I'm not saying Tapco mags do not work, but they will not designed and made to take the abuse that the better polymer mags can handle.

7. Dmeister

Dmeister

Sorry - I forgot for a moment that people like to take themselves way to seriously around here sometimes. :tongueout:

I will say, though... if the OP is interested in metal mags, I've been told that these are quite good and cheaper than most Tapcos.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47E30&groupid=15

I'd buy a bunch to replace all of my unreliable and broken Tapcos but the darn things just haven't broken or been unreliable... :dunno:

8. War Hammer

War Hammer

Tapco mags are an utter waste of money. That is, unless you just like paying more for an inferior product. If that's the case, Tapcos will be just fine for you.

9. Sammler66

Sammler66

I have a couple of the Tapco mags - tried them. Cracked one of the feed lips on one - not sure how it happended. I leave them at home now. My opinion - if you want plastic - the cicle 10 mags are the way to go. If price is the issue - stay with combloc surplus.

10. En9999

En9999

Stay away from Tapco (and Pro Mag) polymer AK mags. The Bulgarian Circle 10 mags are the way to go for polymer, but those run around $30 on most sites. Just stick to the $10 surplus steel ones.

Edit: It seems that all of the US made AK mags are garbage. I'm still wondering if Magpul will ever start to make AK Pmags.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  11. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

They work fine for me. No complaints.

12. visching101

visching101

anyone try any of the K-Var mags?

13. Sammler66

Sammler66

KVAR is known for selling the Bulgarian Circle 10 mags - they are the best IMO - but are expensive compared to surplus steel.

14. JGguns

JGguns

The kvar mags are fine but for the pice I am glad I went with the metal sirplus mags that aims has right now. They have been 100% perfect for me.

And I dont like the tapco's at all. I had fitment issues with everone I owned. But I have never bought new ones they always came with rifles I bought. Steel mags all the way for me...

15. visching101

visching101

Thanks for the fast response. Was just checking cause a friend of mine just recently bought a wasr to mess around with and it has very slight mag wobble, not enough to cause any problems but enough to get annoying over long periods of time lol. When talking to someone about it, he was told that a polymer mag may help solve the problem. Dunno if this is true as I dont have any AK variants yet but after shooting his, I plan on getting one lol.