Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so both me an my friend are lost on this one. I got my ak off of him 7 years ago. He just got his about a month or so ago an his came with the new tap-co mags. NO idea why but his polly mags wont fit. My friend got the great idea to push harder an then it got stuck. We tore it down an got it out. It seems like the front top of the mag is to thick? My metal mag fits fine in his, no rattling. I just don't get it. The only difference is his says GP WASR-10/62 mine says WASR-10. Both say Made by cn romarm sa/cugir in romania imported cal georhia. Any ideas what the issue is?

·
Registered
293 Posts
When Century gets the AK-47's in a lot of them are the ones that were made to take the single stack 10 round mags. So they (Century) cut out the mag wells to except the standard 30 round double stack mags. With some they are milled out too much, and that's where you get the mag rattle. On others they are not cut/milled out quite enough so you have to file some on the mag well to get the mags. to fit. I have 2 of them, and one the mags rattle from where it was cut out too much, and the other was just the opposite and not cut out enough. I just filed a little until I could get the mag in and out with no trouble. It's actually good now, no mag wobble and the Tapco mags fit and work well.

·
Timber Baron
4,157 Posts
It's an AK built by monkeys.

Get out your hammer, punch, and bastard file and go to town. It'll practically fix itself when it sees you pull out the tools.

·
Plain and simple
695 Posts
Just to be clear, are you trying to insert an empty or full magazine? Empty polymer magazines may have fit problems because the follower pushes up and expands the more flexible feed lips.

·
Mostly IDPA now
1,135 Posts
Tapco plastic magazines are oversized junk. The two I bought won't fit my milled gun, but Bulgy, Korean, Chinese steel all fit fine. Get steel mags

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tapco mags seem to be a little bit over-sized compared to the metal mags. This is an advantage for folks who have AKs with large magazine wells made by over-aggressive work at the factory, as this lets them fit tight without rattle. More narrow magazine wells (like your friend's) don't allow the mags to fit.

If he wants to continue to use them, an option would be to sand/file either the mags or the mag well until they fit snug. The bottom of the rear locking lug on the mag, or the top of the mag catch may need a little material removed as well for a proper fit. Inserting the removing the mags a few times will help them wear in - you may see grooves and wear patterns appear on the sides as they fit themselves to a particular rifle.

If he doesn't want to mess around with them, just stick with the metal mags for an out-of-the-box, no effort fit (unless he needs the 3 compliance parts supplied by the Tapco mags...)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts