Other Tao Te Ching Meditations

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by ziggy2525, Jan 19, 2017.

1. ziggy2525

ziggy2525

Tao Te Ching (sometime translated Dao De Jing or Daode Jing) means "The Way to Enlightenment Book."

Tao means "The Way" and was the "The Way" long before that group existed in 1st century Israel. Te means enlightenment or virtue. Ching is book.

There is a religious and non-religious form of Tao. Tao Te Ching is a non-religious set of meditations to help you gain insight into the world around you. You don't need a master for Tao Te Ching. The goal is to master yourself.

There are 170 meditations. I'll try to post a new one daily, but I may miss.

orangejeep06, happyguy and Baba Louie like this.
  2. ziggy2525

ziggy2525

1. The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name. Unnamable is the essence. Naming is the beginning of ten thousand particular things. Named are the manifestations. Nameless is the Mystery.

orangejeep06 and Baba Louie like this.

3. Emmett4glock

Emmett4glock

How long have you been practicing the meditations and what benefits in your life would you say you've derived from them Ziggy?

4. Dave514

Dave514

43. (John Wu translation)

The softest of all things
    Overrides the hardest of all things.
    Only Nothing can enter into no-space.
    Hence I know the advantages of Non-Ado.
    Few things under heaven are as instructive as the lessons of Silence,
    Or as beneficial as the fruits of Non-Ado.

Baba Louie likes this.
  5. ziggy2525

ziggy2525

Since 2006, when I walked away from Christianity after being a practicing Evangelical Christian for 40+ years. This isn't a debate thread, but it might be interesting to open a debate thread about why Christians walk away. Many of the atheists on GTRI are former Evangelicals and Catholics.

The benefits are the same as other methods of meditation or prayer. Dave articulated them using a Tao Te Ching verse. It differs from prayer in that you're not asking God to give you something, whether that's peace, or enlightenment, or virtue. Those things already exist inside of you. Similar to Christianity, accomplishing them is a process.

orangejeep06 and Baba Louie like this.
  6. Emmett4glock

Emmett4glock

Thanks for the reply Ziggy. I was currently writing you a conversation because after Dave posted I thought maybe you just wanted to post meditations without any other questions, comments, etc. I'll discontinue that conversation but the gist of it was that one of the reasons I read RI is to learn about others' beliefs, non beliefs, etc. and not to disrupt the plans you have for your particular thread. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Sarge1400 likes this.
  7. Dave514

Dave514

On the subject of the health benefits of meditation (or prayer for that matter), being that I like objective measures..one thing that I found helpful and very interesting was biofeedback measurements you could do on your own.

So, if you're meditating...how do you really know if what, or which things, you're doing are changing the brain waves to a more relaxing or meditative state? A simple home version of biofeedback like the GSR2 gives you tools and real time feedback about what you're doing. Once you've done it a few times, you find out what works best for you and you really don't need it anymore but it's fun to play with. It's been a few years since I even used it. You put the software in your computer, hook up the unit. Hook yourself to the unit and watch the graph or listen to the audio feedback. The CD even came with a relaxation dude talking through a session to help.

https://www.amazon.com/Basic-GSR2-Biofeedback-Relaxation-System/dp/B000E22DFE

8. ziggy2525

ziggy2525

That's pretty high tech. The way I learned it was using a small, inexpensive red oil bulb thermometer (ETA - with the bulb) held between your thumb and first finger. As you relax, your capillaries dilate and the temp increases. When you're tense, the temp might be in the mid 80's. As you relax, the temp increases to the mid 90's.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Dave514 likes this.
  9. Dave514

Dave514

The thing I found very interesting about the philosophy as a whole was the distinct departure of 'accumulating knowledge'. The stripping away of knowledge or 'the uncarved block' concept was very foreign to me at first. But after you begin letting go of everything that takes you off 'the way' you realize you don't need to know more. You just need to be able to recognize what you need less of. The 3 becomes the 2 that becomes the 1 and then 0 and on to nothingness...except what's left. And it's nameless. A complete departure from Western philosophy and an objective that just seemed like kook ball stuff at first.
    For the Tao Te Ching to start with such a statement that you can't really even really understand until the end (not the end of the book but the end of the whole journey into what Taoism is), or unless someone try to explain it to you...it was a hurdle that didn't make much sense to me until later.

Baba Louie likes this.
  10. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

I'm gonna have to look into it. I try to meditate (at least the way I was taught) but I fail every time.

11. Dave514

Dave514

Taoist story not from TTC but enjoyable as a lesson, none the less.

Maybe
    There is a Taoist story of an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. "Such bad luck," they said sympathetically. "May be," the farmer replied.

The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. "How wonderful," the neighbors exclaimed. "May be," replied the old man.

The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune. "May be," answered the farmer.

The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing that the son's leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out. "May be," said the farmer.

12. ziggy2525

ziggy2525

2. Whenever there is beauty there is ugliness.
    Whenever there is good there is bad.
    Long and short complete each other.
    Difficult and easy need each other.
    Sound and silence fulfill each other.
    Front and back follow each other.
    Life and death give birth to each other.
    Manifestations and Mystery come from the same source.

Baba Louie likes this.
  13. ziggy2525

ziggy2525

3. The Master is one with the Tao.
    He acts without forcing.
    He teaches by showing.
    Things come and he lets them come.
    Things go and he lets them go.
    He gives birth without possessing, achieves without expecting, creates without taking credit, works without needing praise.
    He completes his work, then forgets it.
    His work lasts forever.

Baba Louie likes this.
  14. ziggy2525

ziggy2525

4. The Tao is like a fertile valley, filled with creativity, Gateway of the Female, roots of Heaven and Earth.

15. ziggy2525

ziggy2525

5. The Tao is like a well, empty but inexhaustible - dark, enduring, deep - ancestor of ten thousand things.
    However much you use it, you never have to fill it.
    However much you use it, you never use it up.

16. Dave514

Dave514

Out of curiosity, who's translation are you using?

17. ziggy2525

ziggy2525

Carol Deppe did the compilation from Robert Henrick's Lao-Tzu Te-Tao Ching: A New Translation Based on the Recently Discovered Mawant-tui Texts. She has four versions
    Sage/She
    Master/She
    Sage/He
    Master/He

I'm using the Master/He.

Dave514 likes this.
  18. ziggy2525

ziggy2525

BTW, if you have a different version you prefer, post it up. It's all good. I'm just trying to stick to one a day.

19. Dave514

Dave514

No, I just wondered because the "chapters" seem separated differently than any translation I'm familiar with.

20. ziggy2525

ziggy2525

6. Edge without sharpness, knot without tangle, hole without emptiness, door without opening.
    Soft glare.
    Clear fog.
    Submerged, indistinct, motherless, older than the gods.