Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Just pixels
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems kind of an odd brand I never see on store shelves around here?

They seem to jump from pretty cheap pistols immediately to $1,000+ models used by really elite competition shooters with not much in between. Also seems even online any metal framed versions being in stock seems very hit or miss?

So any fans around here that can tell me about them?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I only have one example, a Limited in 45 acp. Love the gun ,very well made .

Only draw back I see is guns and parts are expensive. A caliber conversion for my Limited is $ 750 ! A complete gun is only couple hundred more.

They all have poly rifled barrels, this can be good or bad depending on use/accuracy expectations.
If shooting plated or soft bullets don' t expect dime sized groups at 25 yds.
If on other hand you are shooting a quality jacketed bullet , exeptional
accuracy is the norm from my gun.

Just yesterday I received 2 barrels from EAA that I will machine to work in my Limited to shoot 40 and 9mm.
Once again these 2 barrels were almost $100 more than 2 CZ Tactical Sport barrels !
Some CZ parts will work or be modified to work on Tanfo's. There are small frame and large frame Tanfo's, from my understanding all the recent imports are all large frame.

The old saying is still true "Gotta pay if you wanna play"!
Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Everyday carry

·
Grumpy Old Guy
11,769 Posts
I have the least expensive model I believe. The Witness P S. Comes with only one mag.
Accurate pistol and very similar to the Sar B6P pistol.
CZ clones usually.
My Witness was $320 OTD at local Rural King.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've got 10 of them. Seven shown in pic, plus I have two small frame plastic guns and one more TA-90.
I also have barrels/slides 3.6", 4.5", 4.75", and 6", and the following calibers, 22LR, 22TCM9R, 9mm, 9x21, 9x23, 38 Super, 357 Sig, 9x25 Dillon, 40SW, 10mm, 400 Corbon, 40 Super, 41AE, and 45 ACP.

I don't know exactly what you want to know, but there are basically 8 different frames.
Steel Large Frame Full size
Steel Large Frame Compact
Steel Small Frame Full size (No longer imported, only available in plastic)
Steel Small Frame Compact (No longer imported, only available in plastic)
Then the same four in Plastic.
There are also different length dust covers on the large full size guns like ES 350's gun above. (Limited, Stock III, Hunter, etc)

The barrels all swap between models of the same frame size (large/small), regardless of whether they are steel or plastic, compact or full size. However, some of the competition guns use a large bull "coned" barrel that does not interchange with the others. The slides are different between the plastic and steel guns as well as different between the large and small frame. (As far as all the slide differences, this will take more explanation than I am willing to type here).

Tony

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have the least expensive model I believe. The Witness P S. Accurate pistol and very similar to the Sar B6P pistol.
Those top ends will fit and function fine on a Witness small plastic frame. They will also work on a steel small frame, but there will be a slide-frame length mismatch at the rear, as shown is pic #2 below. (steel small compact frame with SAR Arms top end installed)

Tony

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I've got 10 of them. Seven shown in pic, plus I have two small frame plastic guns and one more TA-90.
I also have barrels/slides 3.6", 4.5", 4.75", and 6", and the following calibers, 22LR, 22TCM9R, 9mm, 9x21, 9x23, 38 Super, 357 Sig, 9x25 Dillon, 40SW, 10mm, 400 Corbon, 40 Super, 41AE, and 45 ACP.

I don't know exactly what you want to know, but there are basically 8 different frames.
Steel Large Frame Full size
Steel Large Frame Compact
Steel Small Frame Full size (No longer imported, only available in plastic)
Steel Small Frame Compact (No longer imported, only available in plastic)
Then the same four in Plastic.
There are also different length dust covers on the large full size guns like ES 350's gun above. (Limited, Stock III, Hunter, etc)

The barrels all swap between models of the same frame size (large/small), regardless of whether they are steel or plastic, compact or full size. However, some of the competition guns use a large bull "coned" barrel that does not interchange with the others. The slides are different between the plastic and steel guns as well as different between the large and small frame. (As far as all the slide differences, this will take more explanation than I am willing to type here).

Tony

VERY nice collection you have!

With all the barrels/slides you have ..... have you ever swapped barrel and extractor on a 45 to shoot 40 and or 9mm from 45 slide?

I assume some of the calibers you listed are custom reamed ?

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
The wife has the large frame Witness Match, single action, larger ambi safeties, no mag-well funnel, 19 rd mags. Runs pretty good, came with horrendous sights that I kind of custom replaced with a "Novak" style adjustable and a custom made Dawson Precision fiber optic front. I say custom made because I think I was the first one they made one for, then they offered them in their catalog afterwards. I also fitted some Hennig custom trigger parts, giving a very nice trigger pull. The damn gun is comfortable, reliable and accurate, but big and heavy. Oh, and it has some aggressive "lava grip" grips on it, + grip tape now.
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have done quite a few barrel swaps in different slides, but haven't tried a 9mm on a 45ACP slide yet. Here's what has worked so far............

10mm and 40 will work on a 45 ACP slide with a 10/40 extractor installed. Without the extractor swap, it's hit and miss trying to use a 45 extractor with 10/40. However, 45 ACP runs fine on the 10mm/40 extractor, so just do that and you can run both.

9mm will run on a 40SW slide with no changes. There is no need to swap extractors.

A 38 Super slide with 38 Super extractor will run 9mm, 10mm, 40SW, 357 Sig, 38 Super, 9x21, 9x23, and 38 Super Comp, as-is with no extractor changes.

I tried 9mm on a 45 ACP slide with a 10mm extractor in place and it's a no-go......but I haven't tried it with a 9mm extractor.

Keep in mind, LAR produced the Grizzly pistol in 45 Win Mag, and they also made one 9mm Win Mag conversion for that pistol. It was tested by the late Bob Milek Sr. and written up in Guns & Ammo magazine back in the 80's. That gun functioned fine with both 45 Win Mag and 9mm Win Mag on the same slide with an extractor and ejector swap.

Tony

P.S. Yes, I reamed some of those barrels.

·
Registered
874 Posts
[QUOTE="es 350, post: 24953227, member: 234990"..... have you ever swapped barrel and extractor on a 45 to shoot 40 and or 9mm from 45 slide?

[/QUOTE]

Today I put a 9mm extractor in one of my 45 ACP slides, installed a 9mm barrel, and fired 20 rounds of 9mm with it. Ejection was sporadic and all over the place......4 stove-pipe stoppages in 20 rounds. Hand cycling will pull the round from the chamber, but the extractor drops it as soon as it hits the ejector.

Keep in mind, that is just one test with one barrel, one slide, and one type of ammo......but, it doesn't look good.
Since I have other slides in the correct caliber, I'm not going to screw with trying to modify it to work.

Tony

·
Registered
517 Posts
They are very popular comp guns at the clubs I shoot at, in almost all divisions. I agree, they are not that common in stores but a lot of members specifically order them. Lots of aftermarket options but accessories can be a little pricy. The 10mm crowd seems to have taken to the EAA because they are robust, accurate and handle nicely (and one of the only affordable double stacks other than Glocks). I just picked up my first but haven't been able to take it out yet.

·
Registered
127,494 Posts
Seems kind of an odd brand I never see on store shelves around here?

They seem to jump from pretty cheap pistols immediately to $1,000+ models used by really elite competition shooters with not much in between. Also seems even online any metal framed versions being in stock seems very hit or miss?

So any fans around here that can tell me about them?
CZ clones

They are decent, but not top quality.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a Witness Match in 9mm. Nice shooter.

I bought a combination package of a standard Witness P pistol in .45 acp with a .22 conversion.
The .45 was nothing special so I sold it but kept the .22 conversion which is a perfect match for the 9mm.

I waited a minute ? or so too long and the other caliber conversions, top ends and magazines, became almost as expensive as what I paid for the 9mm Match.
So sad.....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts