Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having some Talons in my bin for some time I decided to try them on my 43x. I was apprehensive about them as I had a Hogue Sleeve on it previously but didn't like the way it made the grip fatter and change the overall shape.

So I have the grips on and like them but have been hesitant to take a hair dryer to the grips as generally instructed. I know that the heat has a tendency to reshape the mag well and some folks advise to heat only with a magazine installed. That's great except that (right now at least) I use S15 mags which have a little bit different fit than OEM mags. And what I discovered with OEM mags is that they expand a bit when loaded.

And so my questions:
1) Is heating the Talon grips truly necessary? What is the downside of not heating them?
2) If I do heat the grips, how do I insure it does not change the mag well shape in any way?
2a) If a mag is needed as I suspect would be the case, would you use an unloaded OEM mag or a S15 mag- and what is the reason behind your choice/advice?
3) Is there any other important information that I need to know should I choose to heat the grips?

TIA

Reactions: SK2344

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
When I applied mine I simply heated/warmed everything with a hair dryer - I didn't burn it. Mildly increasing the temperature of the grip and Talon product shouldn't do anything other than warm the surfaces to improve the adhesion - you don't want to melt anything, you want to 'meld' it. Don't over kill with the heat. All you are doing is increasing the efficiency of the adhesive, to make it tackier.

Reactions: John_AZ

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I always heat mine with a hair dryer. Gently. Then use my fingers to flatten them out and mold them to the grips and remove any gaps. I do this about three times. The last set I put on have been on almost five years. And it’s pocket carried.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Talon instructions say no hotter than 135. Depending where you live your car probably gets hotter inside than that in the summer. I've installed many sets of Talons and have never had an issue with the heat that's required.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I always use a hair dryer and heat the grips to set the glue they use. I find it hard to believe a hair dryer could deform the grip. My hot water out of the tap is 130 and that’s pretty damn hot to a bare hand. I stop heating till the point of where I can barely still grip the gun. Never took the temp but I’m sure it’s under 130.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately I do not own a hair dryer. First you have to own enough hair to make having a hair dryer worthwhile. But I think I’ve got it figured out with an alternate method. I do have one of those bed buddies that you put in the microwave and heat up. They get pretty warm but you can control how much they get heated by how long you leave them in the microwave. So my plan is to heat them up and wrap them around the grip. I think with this method I should be able to keep the heat even in relatively controlled. After a few seconds I can let the pistol cool off and then reapply wrapping the bed buddy once again. Rinse and repeat.I wish there was a way to determine if the heat application did what it was supposed to do. How would one check to make sure it was done properly?

·
Registered
217 Posts
You can buy a hair dryer for $10 on Amazon, target, Walmart. I have a hair dryer in my tool box for speeding up paint drying, removing adhesive, drying parts off after cleaning them, applying talon grips etc. it’s well worth $10.

A hair dryer would be hard to cause any damage with when applying talon grips what you don’t want to use is a heat gun which can cause damage due to the amount of heat they can put out. But
even then some common sense goes a long way you want to heat the grips not melt them it’s not rocket surgery.

·
Registered
885 Posts
After having some Talons in my bin for some time I decided to try them on my 43x. I was apprehensive about them as I had a Hogue Sleeve on it previously but didn't like the way it made the grip fatter and change the overall shape.

So I have the grips on and like them but have been hesitant to take a hair dryer to the grips as generally instructed. I know that the heat has a tendency to reshape the mag well and some folks advise to heat only with a magazine installed. That's great except that (right now at least) I use S15 mags which have a little bit different fit than OEM mags. And what I discovered with OEM mags is that they expand a bit when loaded.

And so my questions:
1) Is heating the Talon grips truly necessary? What is the downside of not heating them?
2) If I do heat the grips, how do I insure it does not change the mag well shape in any way?
2a) If a mag is needed as I suspect would be the case, would you use an unloaded OEM mag or a S15 mag- and what is the reason behind your choice/advice?
3) Is there any other important information that I need to know should I choose to heat the grips?

TIA
Yes, they must be heated to seal them. I use a heat gun, very carefully.

Talon grips are awesome. I have them on every pistol I own.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've done many of these, even on 43, 43X, and 48. Just follow the instructions and it'll work perfectly.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok... I've got them installed. And for lack of a hair dryer I did use the bed buddy, heating it in the microwave to what I perceived as a warm cup of coffee and wrapping the grip, gently pressing in to insure the heat made contact with the grip. I did it a few times and hopefully did what the heat is supposed to do. I don't know how to test it if worked, but if it did I really liked this method. Unlike a hair dryer or heat gun the heat was constant and consistent. I did the process with a OEM mag inserted, but when I removed the mag and felt on the inside of the mag well it was slightly warm, so som heat had to have gotten transferred through the grip into the handle.

I don't know why I hesitated to install it. Yes, I do. I had initially had a Hogue sleeve and didn't like how much thickness the Hogue added to the handle and was afraid the Talon grip would change the feel more than I'd like. But I was wrong on that count. I was also apprehensive about the overlap, but once I installed the grip I realized that they are much thinner than I though and feel great. I did have to make one slight mod to it and cut an approximate 1/16" sliver vertically along the side of the mag catch as I felt that being so close the mag catch made it harder to push the catch all way in.

But I really like the feel of the Talons, more than I expected.

·
Registered
31,725 Posts
If a hair dryer is warping a polymer gun frame imagine what it's doing to your hair and scalp!

·
bene vivere
2,094 Posts
I recently applied rubber Talon Grips to my 26.5. I used my wife’s curling iron on the low to heat the grip a bit before applying and they were in place. I gripped the pistol firmly after used the curling iron on it. My 26.5 now feels extra good in my hand. I also apply a strip of rubber “Talon Grip” type tape to the slide serrations a couple of years ago to give me a better grip when my hands are sweaty. I might do the same on my 19.4.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recently applied rubber Talon Grips to my 26.5. I used my wife’s curling iron on the low to heat the grip a bit before applying and they were in place. I gripped the pistol firmly after used the curling iron on it. My 26.5 now feels extra good in my hand. I also apply a strip of rubber “Talon Grip” type tape to the slide serrations a couple of years ago to give me a better grip when my hands are sweaty. I might do the same on my 19.4.

View attachment 931390
I'd be scared to use a curling iron but I'm glad it worked out. Where can you find some of that tape. What I'd really like is a ledge on the from dust cover under the barrel where my support thumb likes to lay. Something like Taran Tactical does with their pistols. But short of that, perhaps I'd like some material like that in that place. I know that "HandleIt" grips have those. I had a set of those grips that I never installed as I felt the Talon texture was better.

·
bene vivere
2,094 Posts
I'd be scared to use a curling iron but I'm glad it worked out. Where can you find some of that tape. What I'd really like is a ledge on the from dust cover under the barrel where my support thumb likes to lay. Something like Taran Tactical does with their pistols. But short of that, perhaps I'd like some material like that in that place. I know that "HandleIt" grips have those. I had a set of those grips that I never installed as I felt the Talon texture was better.
I use the GT-5000 tape on tools and cameras, cell phone. I found it on a Amazon and is Made in the USA. It was not expensive.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
740 Posts
Talon also sells strips of their material.

·
Registered
I buy and use guns for self protection only.
1,432 Posts

And so my questions:

TIA
I think you are Over Thinking this! Just follow the Instructions that came with the grips and you should have no problems a all! I installed them on my G43, over 2 years ago and I have never had a problem wih them. Yes, I used a hair dryer to apply the heat needed to complete the job. Just do it and they will come out fine!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you are Over Thinking this! Just follow the Instructions that came with the grips and you should have no problems a all! I installed them on my G43, over 2 years ago and I have never had a problem wih them. Yes, I used a hair dryer to apply the heat needed to complete the job. Just do it and they will come out fine!
I DON'T OWN A HAIR DRYER! Consequently I was looking for an alternative without making a purchase for one-time use.

Reactions: lesgeaux
1 - 20 of 27 Posts