Talking To A Cop Today @ CCW...........

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by LinuxLover, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

Open carry is just as necessary as concealed carry IMO and should be the person's choice if they "want a target" on their back or not - For me, outside of the home on your property, maybe if I'm in a more rural area, etc - do I need to OC in downtown Asheville? LOL no (you guys from west NC know what I mean)

Thankfully we "have it" in NC (and I hate to talk about it like its a privilege but unfortunately with all the different state laws its treated like it), I've seen people in Walmart etc open carrying by me, and it makes me happy to see them exercising their right and volunteering to be the first line of response if SHTF -

In Florida and other states where open is not allowed, and its 110 degrees in the summer and you're wearing light shirt and shorts, do I really have to be that paranoid that if I'm reaching up on a shelf in Home Depot and my shirt catches the holster for a split second that I might be getting in trouble? Or that I need to throw more clothing on in order to avoid it?

Or in our state (NC) for example, your OC or CCW is determined while you're in the ****ING CAR as well, so if you don't have a conceal carry permit you have to have it in plain sight at all times otherwise you'd be in trouble -

There needs to be both, IMO, or it just annoys me. I don't get worked up about printing (besides LEO's and other concealed carriers no one in their right mind would know the difference between a gun printing and a cell phone case with one of those big Samsung phones on a guys belt), if it occasionally happens when I'm wearing a T-shirt, so be it. I'm not going to be the guy who's wearing a T-shirt and an open, oversized button-down in the middle of August just because I'm paranoid about printing - that looks more odd to me than anything, I can spot those guys a mile away.

2. fredj338

fredj338

Uh yeah. So what huge target is on every LEO back? Uniform & a gun. kinda why when under cover they dont wear their badge & gun openly.
    If I was going to rob the local pharmacy, you are in line, oc, you get shot in the back of the head cuz I am not waving my gun around. If you cant see the logic in it, I dont know what else to say.

robhic likes this.

3. Paul53

Paul53 MAKE HATE WRONG AGAIN!

If I'm in the bank, OC, I'm gonna jump on the back of the nearest guard and scream "I got him, I got him"

4. fredj338

fredj338

In most states, even krappyfornia, accidental gun exposure is not a violation of the law, just sloppy ccw. Even printing is not necessarily breaking the rules governing ccw, just again sloppy technique.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  5. Lunch Meat

Lunch Meat Tactical Mennonite

Criminals get Tunnel Vision too

fredj338 likes this.
  6. dukeblue91

dukeblue91

I have open carried of and on for over 20 years here in NC.
    I see it done just about daily in Raleigh.
    Never heard of anyone being shot in a bank robbery or anywhere else for OC'ng.
    It depends on what I do that determines how I'm carrying.
    But I like seeing people doing it for the simple reason of reminding me and others that a armed society is a polite society.

LinuxLover likes this.
  7. BGDaddy

BGDaddy Leg Humper

I have no freaking idea what I just (attempted to) read. :crazy:

8. Anomander

Anomander

Drugs are bad, mmmkay

LinuxLover likes this.
  9. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Ill put it in a nut shell for you.. IF the bad guy becomes aware of the OC citizen prior to any overt action occurring and IF the badguy has reasonable command of common sense, I think OC stands a pretty good chance at being a deterrent. BUT !

IF the badguy becomes aware of the OC citizen [a f t e r] overt action has occurred, his options are likely limited to FIGHT, FLEE or SURRENDER. I will place my bet on a violent predatory criminal responding violently toward a perceived threat in this circumstance.

The Wildcard: IF the badguy is suffering from addiction, mental illness, gang influence, evil indifference or some other highly charged emotion/ perceived dire circumstance.. I consider conflict even more likely.

HERE's the KICKER: How do you know which circumstance is more likely? Well, you don't and that is where common sense strategics come in. If I cannot know when the badguy is going to become aware of an OC firearm ( if at all), then I will err on the side of caution and choose the best tactic.. the one that will likely afford me the MOST options in the face of danger. That tactic is called concealed carry. Concealed carry does not highlight me as the most dangerous person in the room, it doesn't put me on the radar, It will likely afford me MORE of an opportunity to choose when, where and if to respond with my firearm. If a person wants to believe that a gun is a talisman, they can... but I wont.

There are very good reasons why most LEOs do not OC off duty, why most experts in protective services, self defense training and other armed technicians do not OC when not on duty, why most citizen carriers in OC States still do not OC. Its called tactics and strategics.

I live in a OC State and although OC is rather rare, I have had the occasion to talk with a several over the decades. Proponents of OC generally tout all the same mantras.. "its my right", "you lose a right if you don't use a right", "I want to represent this cause or that cause", "I want to condition others to seeing armed people in public", "badguys will surely flee when they see me". Its always the same old stuff and when they ask me why I don't OC, I tell them because I want to win the fight. They always look perplexed.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  10. porschedog

porschedog

Too funny

fnfalman likes this.
  11. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Aw--- c'mon! The 30:1 was rather tongue in cheek - I guess some people didn't 'get it' though.

But I DO live in a tourist-y area. It's trout fishing that is the biggest draw - that and really nice campgrounds. I cannot say whether they have a hissy seeing an OC or not - but I've never noticed it.... not saying it doesn't happen at least on a minor scale.

I care about California because I have kids there - one's a cop and another is in internal security and that's in an area where the number of rounds citizens can legally carry is very low and getting lower... I expect single-shot, break-action is next.... with frizzens and powder horns.

I speak of these things since I see a trend ---> As California goes, so goes the rest of the nation.... eventually... slowly.........quietly............

Remember that I used to live there and as a recent single decade escapee.... I can only look back risking being turned into a pillar of salt because I care about most of the poor people there.

The rest of California is incorrigible.

BTW--- I won't be carrying at all tomorrow --- I'm in a parade and the biggest attraction in that parade is the tractors and the candy coming outta the cement truck for the kids.

So you see, if I carry at all - it's for fishing pretty much only and I have explained WHY and HOW I carry. Unless I see a challenge here - I'm also pretty much 'commented-out' and I'll just hover here for a while.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  12. Lunch Meat

Lunch Meat Tactical Mennonite

I've noticed that you ask for input on certain behaviors ( should I open carry? Should I carry with a round in the chamber?) That are known to be controversial and then you argue against every response. I rhink you're a troll.

13. hardluk1

hardluk1

Come on , stay on topic , you continue to drift further away from center . Your an adult so make your own big boy decisions or perhaps ask with in your state firearm forum about what others do in rural area's and larger citys in the state you live in as that's what matters most . Common sense is a wonderful thing if you use it .

Lunch Meat He can't help it , maybe he was born that way .

Lunch Meat likes this.
  14. Kennydale

Kennydale

I've been FLAMED before on this. I know a Husband and wife instructors they also instruct. Police and State Guard. He Open Carries. His wife Conceal Carries. She knows that in a situation, he becomes the main focus of the BAD GUYS. She has his back ! (I've seen her shoot, she is no wimp!)

LinuxLover likes this.
  15. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

........and...........
    Hmmmmmmm. You become flummoxed and decide that I'm trolling? You accuse me of 'drift(ing)'?

I think this has been a robust and informative series - perhaps you're not happy because this was questioned and maybe resolved before - but I wasn't here before like you.

I bow to your seniority .... but it isn't always about you.... and I don't remember kicking your feed dish..

16. hardluk1

hardluk1

Bottom line is YOU get to figure out what's right for as it should be .

Smokey613 likes this.
  17. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Sure... and that will probably be sometime [after] the badguy figures it out.

fredj338 likes this.
  18. fredj338

fredj338

Some people do need to figure stuff out the hard way.

19. hardluk1

hardluk1

Fireforged , . Finding the right holster is purely trial and error and if you have carry long enough we each have bought a few holsters that did not work for YOU but might have been fine for others .

The bad guy probably had no holster ! HA .

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  20. Tomkat

Tomkat I Like Beer

I support open carry. When I see someone open carrying, I notice the weapon and the individual just as I would notice the individual wearing a florescent colored shirt. It simply stands out. I may be a hypocrite saying this; but, I get concerned when an open carrier, in other ways than the open carry, is dressed or behaving in a manner that hurts our (2nd amendment defenders) image. I guess that is subjective; but, it is real. Even though I support open carry I don't do it for one reason and one reason only. I do not want to make myself a target. Even if you could provide factual proof that nobody was ever targeted by a bad guy because they were open carrying, I would accept those facts as you present them to me; but, it would not change my mind. Pun intended here, carry on, in whatever legal manner you so choose. I support that.

treg likes this.