Talking in code during CCW traffic stop?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by G19/48, Oct 29, 2020.

1. G19/48

G19/48 Previously G48 OEM Guy

New to CCW and would appreciate some perspectives from LEOs. There are many good posts about what to do if stopped by LE during a traffic stop while carrying. Since I often have one or all my children in the car with me, should we be stopped, is there a polite but clear way to indicate to the officer that I do not want my children know that I am carrying a weapon? For example, would it make sense to hand over my DL along with the CCW permit and say something like "Sir, I have children with me …" with the hope that the officer will talk in code and not say things like "pistol", "gun" or "firearm"? I imagine he could ask "do you have it today" and I would say something like "3 o'clock" or something like that. My wife and I have decided not to let the children know we are carrying until they get much older...

Any advice is appreciated, especially from LEOs. Has anyone run into such a situation on the job?

2. thequintessentialman

thequintessentialman

Why are you concerned about the children knowing you have guns? Just curious.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

If the kids are yours, I'd say it's a moot point.

But if you've got OPCs (Other Peoples' Children) in the car ... I'm not sure if the cop would understand "code".

You are free to try Pig Latin though.

"Ix-nay officer, I've got eighbor-nays ildren-cay in the ar-cay and I don't want them to know about my un-gay"

4. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

Yeah, safety concerns and plain language are going to have to trump your desire to shield your kids from "forbidden" knowledge.

If you act weird about having a gun, the cop's first instinct is going to be to suspect that the reason you're acting weird about having a gun is that there's some legal reason why you shouldn't have a gun. The possibility that you're acting weird just because you don't want your kids to know that you're in possession of something that's legal for you to possess isn't going to be on the officer's radar. At all.

There is a good chance that the officer has kids of his own. He obviously has gun(s) and his kids know he has gun(s). The idea that kids need to be protected from even the knowledge of guns is going to be completely alien to the officer. Even if the officer isn't a "gun" guy with a personal arsenal, his sidearm, at a minimum, is just part of his world. Of course his kids know he has it, what it's for, and not to touch it.

Some, maybe even most, cops will be cool about your carrying a gun with a CCDW and not make an issue. Hand over your CCDW with your driver's license and say something like "I just want to let you know, sir or ma'am, that I am carrying." If the cop is cool, he might say something like "Where is it? Keep away from it. Thanks for letting me know, etc." and that would be the end of it. Your kids would never know.

But, if the cop isn't cool about it, or feels the need to investigate it further, or asks you directly about it, then being weird or coy about stuff will just excerbate a stressful situation. Use plain language and avoid any potentially tragic miscommunications.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    fredj338, fastbolt, SARDG and 9 others like this.
  5. John_AZ

John_AZ

I’ve got a really good plan for this. Ready?

Stop at stop signs, renew your vehicle registration when it’s due, keep it 5mph or less over the speed limit and don’t drive drunk.

Then you don’t have to worry about getting pulled over.

My daughter is two. She already knows dad carries a “ba-boom”

6. Big1

Big1

Oh, you forgot to make sure that your tail light is not out.

pittpa likes this.
  7. RoyHinkley

RoyHinkley Just some guy

You had me at "un-gay"

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

8. Scott1970

Scott1970

I’m a cop. There’s no coded language when discussing a firearm on a traffic stop. It’s not going to happen.

BillG174, fredj338, Lt. Donn and 7 others like this.
  9. BMyers

BMyers

I'm not sure why you wouldn't be talking with your kids about firearms? We had very clear discussions with my daughter about mommy and daddy carrying firearms. We also explained to her there are times that we can discuss and debate things, but there are times when you have to do exactly what mommy and daddy says without question. We discussed safety plans and even made a game of finding the emergency exits. She was probably the only kid that could tell you where every emergency exit was at Walmart.

She is now a senior in college and still uses the knowledge we instilled in her at a young age. Teach your kids and it will help them to grow up to better prepared adults.

10. spork

spork Caffeinator

Although you mean well, you won't be doing yourself any favors by trying to talk in code. Plain, simple, and direct responses are always best in these situations.

-JCN-, Dukeboy01 and Joshhtn like this.
  11. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Be honest with your kids

GlockyQ, Caver 60, Uncle Mark and 4 others like this.
  12. Firecop203

Firecop203

Don’t. All you’re going to do is trigger a nervous “this guys up to something and trying to hide it” response from the officer.

Act as normal as you can and obey your states laws.

GlockyQ, SARDG, -JCN- and 4 others like this.
  13. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy

You should be honest with your children and you should talk to and educate them on firearms.

My 4 year old knows more about, and has more respect for, "Shoot Guns" than some adults do. You're doing your kids a disservice by hiding it. Educate them.

sas-G19, Caver 60, Uncle Mark and 2 others like this.
  14. Pluto57

Pluto57

The cop is going to be clueless because he's not going to understand that you are trying to hide the fact you carry a gun from your children. It's not the norm. Does your state require that you inform?

SARDG and -JCN- like this.
  15. MoreMonkeyThanMan

MoreMonkeyThanMan

deleted

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    Caver 60 and -JCN- like this.
  16. oldmick

oldmick

Imagine how a realtor feels if stopped with a client in the car.

If you believe personal safety trumps all, drive safely, check that taillights, Brake lights, headlights work and your registration is up to date. Then just go about your life.

And saying, “Officer, I need to inform you that I have a license/permit to carry and I’m armed”, avoids using the word “gun” yet lets him know you are carrying. The passenger may not even know what you’re talking about.

-JCN- likes this.
  17. Fortunate Son

Fortunate Son

My children knew, however there are a multitude of reasons why some parents may not want their young children to know they carry:
    1) Your children are friends with coworkers' or boss' children and you carry at work against employer's policy.
    2) Same for church.
    3) Not wanting your children revealing you carry socially.
    4) Less likely a thief will know you have guns in your home.
    5) Mouthy child may give away your tactical advantage in a possible defensive situation.
    6) And the "helpful child", "daddy that sign says no guns".

18. Renoc

Renoc

All of my children knew. I taught them about firearms starting at a very young age. I taught about each type of firearm. Not to touch unless dad was there. We had frequent sessions where we talked about firearms. They each had their own toy firearms and had to demonstrate safe handling methods with those. They must be taught, they must know. The two oldest became hunters and enjoy firearms. The youngest had no interest and that is fine, but I gave them training and choices.
    I do not get the concern? You do not want your children to know you stand up for your constitutional rights? which hopefully will be their constitutional rights?
    Do you not want them to know you own a firearm?
    Have you taught your children firearm safety?

Caver 60, SARDG and -JCN- like this.
  19. Scott1970

Scott1970

I’m not going to waste my time on a stop reading handwritten notes because someone doesn’t want their children to know about guns.

Don’t get pulled over, don’t have your children with you, or surrender your carry permit. These are the choices given the parameters of the OP’s concerns.

20. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Pretty much this.....

-JCN- and G26-Has-my-6 like this.