close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Talking GPS for the Car ?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Nolyn, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Nolyn

Nolyn

I'm looking for a portable GPS unit for the car - one that I con program in where I am going, and it tells me when to make each turn as I go along. I want it portable so that I can use it in several vehicles (rental cars)

I seen a Magellan unit on Ebau for about $600. Anyone know if this is any good, or if there are better/cheaper options out there ?

thanks

2. JMag

JMag

3. bigtinva

bigtinva Megalomaniac

I am very happy with my Garmin StreetPilot 2720. It was the latest model out when I bought it, i'm sure it has been passed up now as technology advances pretty fast. My GF just ordered the Garmin Nuvi about 3 minutes ago.

4. Nolyn

Nolyn

Yeah, this stuff seems to be advancing so fast that by the time I've identified a good model, it will be obsolete :)

5. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

6. Nolyn

Nolyn

Well, looking around I'd say the Streetpilot 2730 seems to have the best price / features ratio. For about $670 (Amazon) it comes with integral FM receiver

Thanks for the input guys - I think this is the one for me

7. kAr

kAr Netware Rocks!

If I were to win the lottery, the Garmin 376C would be my choice. It's got an XM receiver doodad that can also display realtime weather radar images superimposed over the map. Not as usefull in a car as on a motorcycle I suppose.

8. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

I'm using iGuidance software in my HP iPaq, along with a GPSlim bluetooth receiver. It works great, and I get double duty with the pocket PC (though I do use the GPS more than the pocket PC alone). I also have a cradle with an amplified speaker that will power/charge both the PPC and GPS Rx. The talking feature works great.

I've got about $500 in the whole setup, and so far have been very pleased with the performance. I guess the one drawback is that I have several pieces to keep up with, whereas a dedicated unit would be easier to carry around in your case.