Talk to me about Toyota Sequoias (or other Toyota SUVs)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jade Falcon, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

I'm looking at a 2005, 2-owner Sequoia near me with 248,849 miles on it. Dealer is asking $6,788 for it; my max is $6,000, so I'm hoping they'd be generous enough to knock off $788.

What are your experiences with these cars? I know their reliability is legendary, but is there anything I should be concerned with at this mileage?

Thanks!

ETA: I'm also looking at Suburbans and Tahoes, and there are a few near me that look very nice.

2. Jake514

Jake514

With that many miles I would want to know how it was treated, were regular PMs done, etc. There are plenty of Toyotas that have gone many additional miles past 250k range, but odds are much better if they were properly maintained.

Many also like 4Runners since they use a truck frame but gas milage is lowered. I am considering between a RAV4 and a Highlander and I have heard many good things about both of them.

Good luck in what whatever you select.

Jade Falcon likes this.

3. powernoodle

powernoodle

On kbb.com, the private party value for that vehicle (based on specs I entered without knowing anything) is $3,000 to $5,300. A dealer is going to mark that way up, as you have seen. So maybe consider shopping around and finding a vehicle from a private party. Otherwise, I love the idea of buying a used Toyota. Excellent reputation for long-term reliability.

Since you mentioned Suburbans, my 2009 4x4 Suburban has 215,000 on the clock, and burns a quart of oil every 1,500 miles. But otherwise runs great and I intended on driving it until it turns into dust.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  4. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Thanks! Yeah, I'm eyeballing two Tahoes and a couple of Suburbans, all about 2002-2005 vintage. In particular, there is a 2-owner 2004 Tahoe for sale near me, looks very clean, cloth interior with 144,559 miles on it for $6,995. Sounds like a steal.

There are other specimins with anywhere from 180K to 235K miles for about the same price or a smidgen less. So I think $6,000 for a 144K mile Tahoe isn't bad.

There is also a 1-owner 2005(?) Z71 Tahoe near me with just a hair over 200K miles. Looks very clean; don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I want to say it's about $5,900?

5. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

2005 was when Toyota added vvti and electronic throttle control to the 2UZ-FE. Toyota used the V8 across the 4Runner, Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser and some Lexus models.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  6. kiole

kiole

6k for a vehicle with 250k miles no way.

who knows how it was maintained and everything is suspect of going or being bad.

jmohme, mike from st pe, B C and 6 others like this.
  7. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

....is that good or bad?

pizza_pablo likes this.
  8. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I’m a Toyota fan and have driven a 4Runner for six years and will happily buy another one. That said, I don’t see paying $5k+ for any vehicle with 248k miles (Toyota or not). If it has been well maintained and you really like it- only you can answer the question, “is it worth it?”

jmohme, Jade Falcon and Berto like this.
  9. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

It's fine. A little complexity for a little more power. They bump the power the next year also. Toyota tends to use an engine for awhile across their lines.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  10. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Just found a 2-owner 2002 model with 209,000 miles on it for $4,995. Humina humina!

11. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper Don't Jump!

That seems like a lot of money for an old Sequoia whose best years are behind it.

The first gen Sequoia's are pretty good... the biggest problem is the frame rot which has already been mentioned.

I have a 2002 Sequoia 4x4 that I bought new. It's been pretty reliable... but doesn't have a lot of miles on it, about 109,000. I maintain it by the book and do a lot of preventive maintenance. Since new, I've replaced the timing belt and related parts, water pump, AC compressor, front and rear calipers (pistons seized from corrosion), one set of brake pads, two sets of tires, radiator, 3 batteries, rear hatch latch, one fuel filter and of course, regular fluid/ filter and grease on all drive train components... and that's all I can think of right now.

I let my son take it to college a couple of years ago... he loves it and I guess it's his now.

After it went to college, I really missed it and so I replaced it with a 2017 Sequoia. I like the first gen... but the second gen (2008 and up) is better in every way.

You didn't' say, but if the one your are looking at is 4WD, the Sequoia has one of the best 4WD systems out there. 2005 and up get the excellent Torsen center differential. The Sequoia is one of the few SUV's (maybe the only) that is selectable for 2WD or Full time 4WD (a.k.a., AWD).

Jade Falcon likes this.
  12. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Yes, it does have 4WD. I only consider SUVs with 4WD. To me, a 2WD SUV is a bit like a baseball player who is missing a hand and a foot.

I didn't know frame rot was a thing with the Sequoias.

13. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Just found a 2005 Sequoia, 2-owner, $4,995, with 247,575 miles on it. I might write the dealer and see if he/she would take $4,000 flat for it....

14. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

I think the current Chevy Yukon has available system with 4wd H, 4WD L, 2WD, and Auto. The Auto mode performs basically like an AWD system and unlike the 4wd mode can be used on dry roads.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  15. Glockman4

Glockman4

Wow, seems kind of high on price. Make sure it was taken care of at least somewhat (ask for maintenance records) take a long test drive, and Carfax it.

That’s a lot of miles. I’ve been looking at a 200,000 mile Town Car to have as a second vehicle but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. And the guy only wants $2,000 for it.

It’s pretty much potluck at that point determining what will break and when....I would haggle and try to get it as cheap as possible.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  16. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

Quarter million miles on any vehicle is a lot, I would want to know EVERYTHING that was done to it since day one before I would shell out $6 grand. The Tahoe with 144k sounds better for the same money but I still would want some history on it as well. Good luck in your search and let us know what you buy.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  17. sonoma

sonoma

Buying a 15 year old vehicle with 250,000 miles on it is kind of like buy an old prostitute.Not sure where its been and how many miles are left on it.

ZekerMan, B C, R*E and 1 other person like this.
  18. DrewBone

DrewBone

No. Way. Look elsewhere. If you're not in a terrific rush then save your pennies and look for a better deal.

19. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

If it’s at a dealer make them show you the timing belt, make sure it’s had that done, and check the frame for rot, also check around the water pump for pink crust, and look at the sway bar end links. If all that checks out it should be good to go another quarter million miles!!

Jade Falcon likes this.
  20. DannyB

DannyB

I have a friend that had a Sequoia. I think she really misses it.

I know a concrete contractor with a similar Tundra. That truck must be up to 400,000 plus miles by now. He hasn't had any problems. If I'm correct the Sequoia is simply the SUV version of the Tundra?

Pros: Toyota
    Cons: Gas mileage is not very good.

Jonesee likes this.