Talk to me about the Jeep Cherokee

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jade Falcon, Sep 20, 2020.

1. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

One thing I've noticed about the Jeep Cherokee is that they are driven mostly by impatient 20-somethings that drive like A-holes. And the worst of them is the women.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  2. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

It made the list in the 20 worst vehicles to own. Terrible maintance record.

Jade Falcon likes this.

3. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

I’d look for a high mileage 4Runner

ruffhunter and Jade Falcon like this.
  4. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

It’s a dodge. Over the years I have owned a Durango, Patriot and a grand Cherokee. I just don’t think Chrysler makes as quality and long lasting of a vehicle as the other American manufacturers. I know it’s a small sample it’s just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock1963 and Jade Falcon like this.
  5. bayerta

bayerta Former Marine

I bought my first Cherokee when I got back from Saudi Arabia in 2004. Daily driver that I took from 38k miles to 149k in 2017 before someone ran a stop sign and I had no time to stop.

I bought a replacement with the insurance payout. Same year, same color, basically the same car with a few more miles on the clock. My nephew didn't even know that it was a different car. It runs just fine and is right around 189k.

I never had any real issues with the first one until about 10 years when I had to get the AC repaired. Everything else was fairly cheap and easy to DIY. There are plenty of videos to help you do any work needed and parts are cheap and can be found literally everywhere.

If you are buying one on the low end of the price range, expect it to need a good amount of work. The majority of them get rode hard and put up wet. A good one will cost you somewhere in the $6k range.

6. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Suzuki XL-7 also looks nice.

7. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

my son has an 01 4runner with over 250k.

Also check edmunds.com and type in the model you are looking at, then click on the year and read the owner reviews. good intel site, plus specs, mpg for that year and engine

Jade Falcon likes this.
  8. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

9. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

jimcorbin and Jade Falcon like this.
  10. cyphertext

cyphertext

I had a 2001 Jeep Cherokee that I purchased used. At around 60k miles, I started having problems with it overheating. The temp gauge would read normal and then just peg to the right. We replaced the thermostat, water pump, radiator, hoses... still would overheat and cause issues. Finally, the dealership said that they were going to have their heavy mechanic come and break the engine down. He found that the piston skirts had melted and they replaced the engine under warranty. When I got it back, I took it down to another dealership and traded it in.

ETA: Currently have a 96 Wrangler in my garage, but it is purely a recreational toy to drive around with the top off and do some trail rides. It runs well, but is old, so I don't count on reliability with it either.

11. cbetts1

cbetts1

The big increase in popularity of overlanding and 4x4 has caused the once reasonably affordable used Jeep Cherokees to increase in price drastically. There are some good YouTube videos on the subject. Just a few years ago a Cherokee in good condition was very reasonable.

Anything in that price range could be a potential maintenance nightmare but you could get lucky.

I would keep the caddy and throw a few bucks at a neighbor to haul it in their truck when they go to the dump. Split the cost. Offer to cut their grass etc.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  12. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Okay. But it sat for 9 years. Bad battery? Bad alternator?

13. ronj1

ronj1

Wife has 2019 Jeep Cherokee V6 4X4. She loves it. Never had a problem in 50K+ miles. I am not allowed to drive it. I was bad. I took it into Ocala forest in the rain to try the 4 wheel drive. Can't even set in it anymore. This pic is what got me caught. jeep.JPG

prairieviper and Jade Falcon like this.
  14. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

No way. I appreciate that, but there's no way I'm parting with a running leather-interior car with a good tranny and engine for scrap metal. The problem with this damn car is that it's always something that's relatively cheap....just small enough to make you cringe yet pay for it, and never big enough to scrap the entire car. The problem is that these "little things" have added up. Now it needs a driver's side heater door actuator, and I've had enough. It can be someone else's problem now.

IF I did decide to keep the car long-term, I'd have the engine rebuilt by Northstar Performance. It needs new oil pan and valve cover gaskets anyways, and that involves taking the entire engine out of the bottom of the car. If I was going to do that, then I might as well have the whole thing rebuilt with a bulletproof kit and performance upgrades. I could get 335+ HP out of that thing easy, along with aftermarket exhaust.

The performance parts and kit are relatively cheap. It's the sending it off to a shop in SF or Seattle and then paying some ungodly price for the work that has me shaking my head. I think I'd rather just get an SUV instead.

15. cbetts1

cbetts1

Ok, I missed that. I thought garbage and the dump were the issues.

Remember, You will still be putting your garbage in the interior (likely carpeted) of a SUV, similarly to your Cadillac. Nothing worse than leaking, garbage liquid except bong water.

Good luck.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  16. ScarFace88

ScarFace88 NOT MOD APPROVED

I'd be looking at the fuel system, gas will turn to varnish and ethanol is hydrophilic.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I had a Cherokee a few years ago. They tell me that the ability for a dog to nudge the gear shift into park (maybe reverse?) and lock up all 4 wheels at 75 MPH is a "feature, not a bug." :rofl:

Seen the drive shaft fall off of 2 Wagoneers while they were driving - never seen that happen to another vehicle.

I stay away from Jeep product. Too many better choices.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  18. cbetts1

cbetts1

My exes uncle owned a multi brand car dealership in a small town. Along with Ford products they sold Chrysler/Dodge & Jeep. He said he wouldn't allow her to buy a Cherokee if she wanted to because of the maintenance history. This was early 2000.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  19. DaveD

DaveD Ex-Mod Moderator Millennium Member

I had a Jeep 40 years ago. Seemed like the AWD wheel joints got replaced every 7-10 days or so :)

Jade Falcon and cbetts1 like this.
  20. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Street tires ?!