Glock Talk banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts
Their quality control seems to be hit or miss. Every so often I hear about someone getting a bad one, often even after being sent back they still break down. I hear it far too often to trust them. If not checking them for quality is how Taurus gets their prices down, I'd rather pay more for one that works. For that matter Taurus doesn't even have the lowest prices for budget guns, so I don't see the draw there either.

My father owns a Taurus Judge which I have much experience with. I would never buy a Taurus firearm after handling and shooting it. It feels cheaply made, and the fit and finish is very poor. It is one of the black models and the bluing feels like some sort of easily chipped, cheap black lacquer. The trigger is horrible and gritty, while all the machining is very poorly done. The checkering on the hammer, for example, is uneven in height. The accuracy is poor as well. That said, if you had to use it to defend yourself at 7 yards, it would work.

It's completely a matter of personal preference, but the names of many Taurus revolvers bug me as well. The names "The Judge" and "Raging Bull" seem much better suited to be plastered on the side of an 8 year old's toy than a firearm. It doesn't make matters better when they make these model names as large in a most obnoxious location.

All the ones ive owned and or shot(and know the current owners) have ALL worked 100% this includes the

PT99(adjustable sight version of the PT92 loved it has been the only gun that the entire time I owned it never failed in any way)

Currently have a CH85 Revolver works great good snubby.

have shot in the last year

PT145(works great never malfunctioned(after i told the guy when it was malfunctioning that he actually had to clean it B4 he shot it..he had no idea..once he cleaned it up its run 100% I actually think this may very well be my next gun)

709 Slim(ran 100% guy moved but b4 he moved id shot around 100 rounds through it and he a lot more and never a problem...he used it as his primary CC weapon)

The small taurus .380..the newer one that I cant think of the name of..actually real nice..once the guy ran about a box and a half through it its run 100% ever since..I DID have some issues during the first box and they have ALL GONE AWAY since the box and a half mark. IF I were to get a .380 this is the one id get.

The bad reputation Taurus used to have still resonates with those that have had bad experiences with Taurus, and those that have read about the bad experiences. Taurus has come a long way. I bought a PT-1911 a couple of months ago and have over 700 rounds thru it with no issues. Wasn’t my first choice, but the LGS (Small store) keeps them in stock and the price was right, so I decided to give it a shot. I have not been disappointed.

Look for hickock45 on YouTube. He is very well respected for his views and has at least 3 videos on a Taurus revolver.

Discussion starter · #45 ·
I went to the gun show a couple months ago and handled a Taurus snubbie, ported, in .41 Magnum. It was a beautiful little thing, that fit my hand without much trouble. It held 5 shots. It was used, and I've forgotten what model number it was. But I really liked it! Not bad price either for $430-something, if I remember correctly.

My PT1911 AL has been a nice purchase with no issues that weren't of my own doing...I changed the recoil spring to an ISMI of the same 16lb. spec (I do this for all my 1911 pattern pistols)...

I think you need to check when making any custom touches just as you might with other pistols of this pattern like grip panels...I've read Raasco stocks are fine...as some of my stocks bind a bit with Taurus' ambi-safety...

I wanted to try an aluminum framed 1911 type pistol and the price was right and mine has not disappointed...I read that prices aren't the screaming deals they once were but I'd make my purchase again if the price combo was right...

Bill

Buying a Taurus like grabbing a treat from Forrest Gump's 'Box o' Chocolates'- you never know what you're gonna get.

I traded for my first Taurus awhile back, a late model PT145. Taurus has a well-deserved reputation for spotty quality control, which manifested itself in the first 20 rounds from this gun. One of the magazines was, politely put, a piece of crap. Luckily, the the dealer had another PT145 on hand and he swapped me out a good mag PDQ. With good magazines, pistol is reliable and it isn't picky about bullet profile. It fed my .45 ACP, 230 lead flat-point reloads slick as a whistle. Early shooting indicates it will keep a magazine on your head at 20 paces. Later shooting revealed that I shoot it just as well as my issue Glock 22, even at 25 yards. I do find the grip of the Millenniums to be on the small side for my hands, and a grip sleeve like this Houge made a noticeable improvement in my unsupported shooting.

I've had a couple if chances to break even on it already but I can't bring myself to do it, It's just the right size, shoots my favorite cartridge... rest of the story here if anyone's interested.

PS... those guys at TaurusArmed are a hoot, some cheerleadin' mofos! They do seem to realize that poorer examples of their pistol just flat suck.

I have a Taurus Tracker .41 magnum that my dad bought me twelve years ago,never had a problem out of it.

The only other Taurus I have is a Rossi/Taurus Circuit Judge
that I bought on a whim.So far no problems after about 300 rds. with it.

While I prefer Ruger or S&W,Taurus has some products the niether of the former offer like the Tracker.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their revolvers again.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.