close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

talk to me about power adapters

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by tbone1970, Dec 18, 2006.

1. tbone1970

tbone1970 walmart goat

im interested in getting something for my car that will allow me to power my laptop. (dc to ac converter)

i ran across this at radio shack.

just curious what others are using and possibly get some reviews on this one.

thanks guys

2. blue0623

blue0623 2B1ASK1

Never seen that one before,but from the spec. it should work if not they have one (don't know the name, sorry) but it is red and black for about 100 dollars that I used personaly at work that was great, and it had two power outlets on it.

3. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

Just be sure that the charger is optimized for your Li+ battery. The danger of screwing up your charge is so significant (explosions, fire, etc.) that I'd only buy a charger from the same company that made my battery, and only buy a charger that specifically was designed for that battery.

Seriously. Don't skimp on OEM when it comes to safe handling of Li+ batteries.

4. lens

lens

70w is no longer adequate for many laptops. Best check before buying. Many today want ~100w adapters to run properly.

At any rate, I wouldn't spend that money on it. I bought a DC to AC adapter for my car a few years ago. I can just plug the AC cord into it and run my laptop. I think they are ~$40 these days. The DC to DC adapters for laptops seem to be much more expensive to do the same job.

5. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Good advice, except that the external power supply doesn't charge the battery in any remotely modern laptop. The actual charging circuitry is in the laptop itself. I suppose a wonky PSU could cause that system problems, but I doubt that's any more common in decent aftermarket bricks than in OEM parts.

There are a few dedicated, external battery charging stations, and your advice is pretty much 100% there, but they are few and far between, not to mention terribly expensive as a rule.

To the OP: I haven't used that particular adapter, but I bought an APC branded AC/DC brick and it works great, never any issues.