close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Talk to me about plated bullets..

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by FiremanMike, Jul 29, 2014.

1. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I use Rainier 147 HPs. Working on my second batch. I use the Lee die set and just iron out the case mouth, you can't really see any "crimp".

Accuracy is as good as or better than the run of the mill 115 grain range ammo I have been using and they are much softer shooting over 4.0gr of WSF. I want to try some Montana Gold JHPs in the same weight to see how they compare.

2. RWE

RWE

I bet you will go back for more. Have fun!

3. RustyFN

RustyFN

I have shot a lot of Berry's and Rainier and they all shot very good. The only reason I stopped buying them was because I could buy jacketed cheaper. Not sure what the prices look like now but if I could buy them cheaper than jacketed then I would buy them.

4. naughtymoose

naughtymoose

Tried 500 147 X-treme rn. Loading with 3.8 grains of WST and getting some excellent groups in both my 17L and Gen 4 17.

5. norton

norton

Loaded and shot 50- Rainier 240 grain HP's (.44 magnum) out of my S/W 629 on Saturday. Great plinking round, accurate-at least enough for off hand 25 yard and closer shooting.
    Also shot 100 Berry's 115 grain 9mm plated bullets out of my Glock 17 at the same time. Again, plenty accurate for a plinking round. Berry's shows a max velocity on their 9mm box as 1250 fps.

6. Shmoopy

Shmoopy

That is all I shoot in my guns. I get mine through berry's or frontier.

7. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

You probably need to revisit some of the manufacturers pricing, particularly this company for plated http://www.xtremebullets.com/Copper-Plated-Bullets-s/2897.htm. Much much cheaper than Berrys or Precision Delta and good quality.

8. Schrag4

Schrag4

Hey, I just checked their site, and was curious about shipping so I loaded up a cart and proceeded to checkout. When I put my zip code in, it said there's free shipping in August!!! Thought I should pass that on in case anyone didn't know. If I didn't just buy some bullets I would be all over this.

9. G36_Me

G36_Me

My thought is you have to know your gun and the specific reload. I do find I have more consistent success in Glocks with FMJ. I find in my guns with traditional lands and grooves they are more forgiving with lead and plated bullets. I keep extensive records of each batch of reloads.

10. just for fun

just for fun

Autos, WWW.DeltaPrecision,com. Jacketed bu...e been putting a few back every now and then!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  11. RustyFN

RustyFN

Yes like I said I'm not sure what the prices are now. I haven't bought bullets for a few years and still don't need to buy any. Last time I did buy jacketed bullets were cheaper than any plated bullet out there. I will check out xtreme next time I need some, thanks.

12. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

As an update, my 10 round trial run went great! 115gr plated, 4.7gr hp38, 1.130" OAL, cycled great, felt great!

13. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

FM.....very close to mine.

I've been loading 115gr Xtreme plated with 4.7 of 321 at 1.150 OAL and they've been working fine for me.

14. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy Silver Member

I have used a lot of X-Treme hollow point concave base bullets for 9mm.
    They can be loaded up to mid level jacketed levels.
    Good accuracy with them. Really like them and now my LGS carries them. :supergrin:

15. Gpruitt54

Gpruitt54

Excellent! I am happy that you found Xtreme plated bullets to your liking. I buy plated from Xtreme exclusively for practice rounds. Xtreme bullets produce Consistent performance and are priced perfectly. I use them in 9mm (RN and HP), 40S&W (FN and HP), and 45ACP (RN) and I have never looked back.

16. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

I've put lots of Raniers through my Glocks and 1911s. I try and keep the speed below 1,200 fps. I've never had any problems, and with a little experimentation they can be plenty accurate. I prefer the truncated cones and semi-wadcutters. They feed well and leave nice regular holes in paper targets.
    9mm, 10mm, and .45 ACP

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  17. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Out of curiosity, why by the hollow points? Are you creating self defense ammo? Is there a difference for you in practicing with hp vs rn?

18. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

It's not just your target ammo. Your inventory is also your zombie apocalypse stash. :supergrin:

19. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

In a plated bullet the concept of a FMJ vs JHP makes no difference in regard to the lead exposed at the base. A lot of Open Shooters care about that. BUT some people have found JHP to be more accurate.

20. JamesT

JamesT

FWIW..called Xtreme some time back...they told me to use Speer load data (believe that Speer is one of their customers). I heave tried 115 gr, 4.4 thru 4.8 231, OAL 1.135, all worked fine. Settled on 4.6/4.8.
    Be Safe