Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Rational
14,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm having my ceiling rebuilt, and the sheetrock guy comes this weekend. I've had the entire house reboxed for ceiling fans, with one box replaced over the sink with a newer box that is properly mounted this time, which is plastic and will go to a small light fixture. This box is powered by a light switch next to my stove, but it's a pain in the ass to use. I therefore want to leave it on and get a pull-chain light fixture so that I can just reach up and click off.

My kitchen, however, is very dark. The counter is speckled brown and black, the stovetop is black, and the cabinets are also dark brown; all of which does nothing to reflect light in any way. There was two sources of light that were small and weak....one above the sink as mentioned, and the other in the center of the kitchen. That is going to be cured with a ceiling fan that is going in there that will have a light fixture, which will replace the el-cheapo flush-mounted LED fixture that was in there before, which didn't do a damn thing to break through the darkness.

I don't know what fixture I want above the sink, though I do know one thing: I want this MFer as bright as the sun. I want this kitchen to be lit up like Fort Knox. Otherwise, I might as well install undercabinet lighting as well; something which I don't want to do.

The ceilings are going to be barely 7 feet tall (and yes, I know the building codes for ceiling fans; I just don't care as long as they are mounted properly, not to mention the fact that I'm short), so at least the light will be close enough. But here's what I'm thinking.....

Either this, with a 5,200 lumen high-output LED:

Or.....this Westinghouse 2-bulb light fixture:

I like the brushed stainless steel, which would match my refrigerator and dishwasher, and likely the ceiling fan I'm putting in there as well. That, and it looks nicer than the single-bulb fixture.

I'm worried about the frosted glass not allowing enough light output. And the thing is, if it puts out enough light, I MIGHT forego a light fixture on the fan to save some headroom and maybe just get undercabinet lighting with a remote instead, along with one of these light fixtures.

I just can't make up my mind. So I'm open to suggestions. Requirements: it MUST have a pull chain. I'm afraid I must insist, otherwise this would be far easier of just getting a bigger light fixture to mount in there. But the switch is out of the way and a PITA, as I mentioned, so it has to be a pull chain instead.

Thanks fams. 👍

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
10,940 Posts
I would opt for a par style LED bulb...it will focus on the sink area for task lighting...the LED bulb you pictured was a general lamp which will illuminate a wider area....I spend a lot of time at my sink, so I use a high output PAR so I can see my work area

·
Rational
14,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would opt for a par style LED bulb...it will focus on the sink area for task lighting...the LED bulb you pictured was a general lamp which will illuminate a wider area....I spend a lot of time at my sink, so I use a high output PAR so I can see my work area
Yeah.....a focused lighting would be nice, however, if I could illuminate more of the kitchen with that general lamp, rather than just the sink area, then that would be a huge benefit too.

Thanks for the input!

·
Rational
14,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First one that popped up but you get the idea.

Thanks, I've seen that video. Unfortunately I have tile on the wall, which I don't think would be easy to get through without making a huge mess of it. I would have to either delete an outlet there as it sits by just taking out the outlet and wiring it for a light instead, and then putting a face plate on, or.....just get a plug-in unit, with maybe a app-controlled or remote controlled plug-in for the light.

·
Rational
14,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
You probably know you need a metal box fastened well for your ceiling fan and a plastic one wont work. You can probably drill thru the cabinet bottom into the wall and fish a 14 gauge wire to your outlet/switch for under cabinet lighting power. YouTube has wire fishing videos.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If hes there today too late but I'd do wafer lights primarily on a dimmer switch so you get the light you want. Whitest I'd do is 4200nm some like white in a kitchen I feel 3500 is better like the rest of your house should be.
You almost sound like you want track lighting.
These are very easy to install Commercial Electric Slim Baffle 4 in. Color Selectable New Construction and Remodel Canless Recessed Integrated LED Kit (4-Pack)-91475 - The Home Depot
Dont just shove wires in though get a connector to protect wires from the sharp edge of the punch out. Press fit 3 wire plugs are so easy (only use for light not things that wiggle such as light switches or outlets)

·
Rational
14,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You probably know you need a metal box fastened well for your ceiling fan and a plastic one wont work. You can probably drill thru the cabinet bottom into the wall and fish a 14 gauge wire to your outlet/switch for under cabinet lighting power. YouTube has wire fishing videos.
Yes, thank you, the electricians already installed the metal boxes where necessary. Only the box above the sink is plastic, but on a metal bar between joists.

If hes there today too late but I'd do water lights primarily on a dimmer switch so you get the light you want. Whitest I'd do is 4200nm some like white in a kitchen I feel 3500 is better like the rest of your house should be.
You almost sound like you want track lighting.
I wouldn't mind track lighting, the problems are that 1) I only have one switch for it, and it's not easily replaced and wired somewhere else, and 2) I only have one box for it, hence why I want a pull switch instead. I would have to get more boxes wired and new switches installed, which is something I just can't afford at the moment. Maybe down the road though.

·
Rational
14,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why just put a track instead of the fixture on that one box.
The switch. It's placed in an incredibly annoying area of my kitchen. I can't move the switch to a better area.

·
Values. Can't be bought.
13,120 Posts
Saw something like this at Sam's or Costco. I think they pivot

·
Come on man!!
16,633 Posts
I got no specific recommendations but I put up new LED fixtures in my kitchen and master bathroom about two years ago and they were both about as bright as a nuclear bomb right after detonation. The light in the master bath took a little getting used to for middle of the night bathroom trips, it's a level of light that is just insane.

I know my kitchen is not your kitchen but when I put an LED fixture in to replace the old fixture in the center of the kitchen it completely eliminated the need for a task light over the sink.

As it is now, the task light is only used at night to provide soft lighting in the kitchen as I like to have soft lighting in all the main rooms in case I have to deal with a fool in the middle of the night.

·
Mentally Frozen
28,524 Posts

·
Values. Can't be bought.
13,120 Posts
Funny, I was just watching a video about them. Thanks!
I bought my kitchen light at Costco. It has a remote control. It can turn on when I walk in the room and stay on a variable amount of time, has variable motion sensitivity, dimming, color temp control from warm to cold, night light and ambient light sensor, all switchable. Winplus brand. May not be bright enough for you, 1600 lumens. I doubt they sell them anymore but I bet you can buy similar brighter lights online.

Reactions: Jade Falcon

·
Rational
14,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now I'm thinking of replacing the wall switch for the light above my sink...the one that is very inconveniently placed.....with a WIFI switch of some sort. But I don't have Alexa or Google Assistant, nor do I want them. But this would give me a far broader range of lighting options to choose from.

:unsure:

·
Registered
43,659 Posts
Recess lights. Pendants. Under cabinet. Over cabinet. Our kitchen has no windows but it's never dark. Lots of options out there.

Reactions: Jade Falcon
1 - 20 of 28 Posts