Talk to me about high-mileage SUVs

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jade Falcon, May 26, 2020.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

In about 4 or 5 months, I will be trading in my Cadillac for an SUV in the $10,000 and less range. The Cadillac has become far bigger of a problem child than I am willing to put up with. I think a $1,000 trade-in for it would be appropriate, combined with a $2,000 cash down payment.

There are only three brands that I'm looking at: Chevy/GMC, Toyota, and Honda. BUT....let me know if there are others I should consider.

I plan to do a lot of traveling; some to remote places where I need either AWD or 4WD. Nice to have in the winter too. Comfort is also a must. I also need space in the back for pots, lumber for planter boxes, bags of soil for my garden, various other home and garden items, and various tools for around the home.

The ability to pull a trailer if necessary would be handy too. I'm going to be growing fruits and vegetables to sell at local farmer's markets, so pulling a trailer with my haul would be a nice option to have.

I considered getting a pickup truck, but kind of want an SUV instead. They seem to make for better traveling. And I'm not getting a sedan or coupe either.

In no particular order, I'm looking at the Chevy Tahoe/Suburban/Trailblazer/GMC-lineup, Honda CR-V and Pilot, and the Toyota Sequoia, Highlander, 4Runner, and Rav4.

I've been a fan of the Tahoes and Suburbans since I was a kid, because I grew up around them in Scouts. Everyone's dad had one, or a pickup truck. That 5.3 Liter Vortec seems pretty reliable too. The Trailblazer looks very nice too....that 4.2-liter I6 drives pretty smooth, I hear. I like these vehicles for the comfort, spaciousness, and power.

The Toyotas and Hondas I like for Japanese reliability, even though I've never owned one.

Preferably, I want an SUV that are the easiest to work on with basic tools, even for someone as unskilled as I am. 99% of the time, I'll be taking it to a mechanic for repairs, but for easy things that I can fix I would like to be able to do so. I'm pretty confident that there are enough how-to's and parts available for these vehicles.

I don't have a garage, so this would be a vehicle parked in the elements.

I dismissed two brands: Ford and Subaru, but I am open to hearing your thoughts on them. I dismissed Ford because the 2002 Explorer has been ranked at the top of ConsumerReports list of most unreliable vehicles all-time. And I've read too many things here and there about Ford's poor reliability....which is a shame because I really like the Expedition. But I've heard that 5.4 liter Triton can have problems with cam phasers and other issues, and I'm not willing to risk it at high mileage. But again: I'm open to your thoughts on them.

And I dismissed Subaru after hearing about their wide-ranging and hellaciously-expensive head-gasket failures.

So....what should I know and look out for in high-mileage SUVs? I've never owned or bought one before, so I'm trying to study up and learn as much as possible. Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ETA: the cars I'm looking at have mileage in the 155K to 210K range.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    TBO likes this.
  2. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Personally I would stick with a gm product, not saying the other aren't good but that is just my preference

JW1178 and Jade Falcon like this.

3. pgg00

pgg00

Never had an issue with the expeditions. We had a 2005 with the 5.4 traded it in at just under 200k. Only thing we replaced was a throttle body sensor at 150k. We also had some at work that we ran up to 200k before they were dumped. They were used hard there (code runs and then pulling trailers at times). They were reliable there and never left us stranded (more than I can say for the dodge police vehicles).

sombunya, PEC-Memphis and Jade Falcon like this.
  4. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Yeah, I really like the Expeditions. Perhaps I'll give them another look.

Mind you, you had a city-budget to repair them on. I don't, lol.

pgg00 likes this.
  5. pgg00

pgg00

I'll also had that we have some Tahoe's at work now too. I'm in one right now and love it. I had a "utility" one before this one and it was a dog. We got rid of it at 80k because it wasn't performing anymore. My new one is a pursuit rated one and so far has been excellent. It has 40k now

Jade Falcon likes this.
  6. pgg00

pgg00

Yea. We didn't have to do any major repairs on them. Just general maintenance. It was a major shock when we tried out the dodge chargers. Our maintenance and repair costs were over 10 fold of the old crown vics. We only have 2 chargers left, both on their third engines at 80k miles

Jade Falcon likes this.
  7. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Wow!

Yeah, it should be noted that I'm staying away from Dodge/Chrysler products, and Jeep. Though I'm open to hearing about Jeeps. But no Dodge or Chrysler products.

Caver 60 and pgg00 like this.
  8. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

I'll give the Toyota a vote. My 4Runner has 184K on it right now and is trouble free so far (knock on wood). They tend to run longer that the others for some reason, but not downplaying GM/Chevy's. A Sequoia is available with a V8 if necessary, and the back seats in them and the 4Runners do fold down if needed for storage space.

ILeft and Jade Falcon like this.
  9. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

I hear the V8s in those Toyotas are bullet-proof. The 4.7 liter iForce.

pgg00 likes this.
  10. sudo

sudo

I just went through this thought process, and purchased a 2020 Subaru. Many Subarus on the list of vehicles likely to go 259K miles or more.

11. pgg00

pgg00

Probably also why they tend to cost more on the used market. I see beat to hell tahoes and expeditions for really cheap all the time. Rarely with a toyota SUV (not counting the rav4 crap)

xdmikey and Jade Falcon like this.
  12. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

If I needed a V8 that would be the one I would choose. The 4.0 V6 in my 4Runner has been absolutely great so far and I drive it from Oklahoma to Florida occasionally without hesitation.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  13. sudo

sudo

Jade Falcon likes this.
  14. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Congrads on the purchase. Unfortunately, I don't have the money for a new car. Used with $100/month payments on first-time buyer credit is the absolute most I can do.

Why no love for the Rav4? It's one of the cars I'm looking at.

ILeft likes this.
  15. pgg00

pgg00

Tiny and uses a car drive train. SUVs are supposed to be trucks with an enclosed bed

Berto and Jade Falcon like this.
  16. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Ah. Thanks for that.

17. JW1178

JW1178

How it is driven, how it is maintained is huge when it comes to the longevity of a vehicle. More so than it's make. Garage kept or parked out exposed to the elements it's whole life. These factors are more significant as the vehicle gets older and the miles increase. Most people don't do the services except an oil change and they think when the light comes on or the sticker says, it means they need to start considering getting it changed. Not many people are on time. So, the older it is, the more miles, the more you need to look at it and I'd advise having it inspected, especially by a dealer and make sure they have an experience, certified tech looking at it.

18. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    In general, Jeeps are along the most unreliable (specifically the Wrangler). With the milage you stated I'd steer clear of all Jeeps.

Tahoe probably checks a number of your boxes, and Toyota might be near the top for reliability, but cost more $.

Best of luck with whatever you get.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

19. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

I was looking at a couple of round-headlight Wranglers yesterday; one with the straight-six and manual transmission.....nice, but not exactly a "traveling" car.

TBO likes this.
  20. billorights

billorights

I skipped all other comments because no matter what anybody says, TOYOTA is your only choice. TOYOTA is the only vehicle I would consider for what you want. Especially if you get something with some miles on it. Ask me about my 216,000 miles Camry. My third. Next will be an Avalon or Lexus.
    In my life so far, I have owned over 50 vehicles. Name a make, I probably had at least one. My children finally saw the light and have Toyotas, after many years of depending on Dad to fix their Chevys, Jeeps, Subarus, Nissans, Fords, Acuras, Dodges, Mazdas and whatever else.

Trucker3573 and ILeft like this.