Talk to me about Geocaching. Use BB?? Nuvi???

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ATL Peach Girl, Jan 5, 2010.

1. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I have signed myself up for a free Geocaching GPS class at REI later this month. Geocaching has interested me for a long while and I am very curious and it would help me get out and lose the rest of my weight!! :supergrin:

I have done some searches on here for Geocaching, and several of you are into it.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 200W. Can it be used in geocaching?? I saw a past thread in search that said some folks DO use their car GPS units to geocache. How's this done?? Do they load new programs into them??

Are there reliable apps for Blackberry instead?? (I have the Storm)

2. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I have a Nuvi and IMO you're going to need an actual GPS unit for this since you need to be as precise as possible. Plus, you need something you can enter in coordinates for and possibly plot routes and keep tracks.

I have a Garmin eTrex like this one but mine is close to 10 years old now...works just fine for this sort of thing.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=8705

Greg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010

3. GAFinch

GAFinch

Unless something new has come out, none of the BB apps have maps that are stored on a memory card, so it has to download maps as you go. If you're halfway out in the country and you lose 3G/EDGE coverage, the phone can't download the maps and you're just plotting your location with no reference points.

4. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

If you go to "Where Am I? under "Tools" on the Nuvi 200 it will give you the lat and long where you are standing. I haven't played with it enough but I think you can type in the lat and long of the cache and hit "go to" and you follow the walking icon. (make sure you switch to pedestrian mode). HH

5. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

You will also want to get the accuracy for the satellite constellation you are using at the time. This will give you the error associated with your present position. You will want to know that for searching around the point you are standing.

Here is a geocaching forum. http://www.geocaching.com/press

6. Remander

Remander

You can to geocache with a Nuvi car model but (as I read on the geocaching.com forum), you can use a shovel to play tennis, but there is a better tool for the job.

I have a Nuvi and love it for driving. But it is terrible for caching. Mine has pedestrian and offroad modes, but it is just not fine tuned enough for caching. I tried.

It also has limited battery life for treks in the woods, and it is not built to handle the rigors of caching in the woods with exposure to rain/water and falls from your hand. The handheld models are ready for the outdoors, fit the hand better, and have replaceable batteries (usually AA; carry them always).

The handheld units are much better for caching. I bought my first Garmin a few yrs ago. It finally croaked. I replaced with the cheapest Garmin color model, and it is WAY more accurate than my old high dollar Garmin unit. Guess they improved.

I see lots of buzz about the Garmin Oregon model. I have not used it, but I glanced at one in a store and it looked like it is much easier to use (intuitive, touchscreen, like an iphone) and with nice color. The ones like my first GPS were not intuitive or easy to learn. You had to sit and study the book, and inputs took too much time awayfrom caching.

Read up over at geocaching.com forums. I'd lean to spending a few bucks for a nice touchscreen model if I was doing it again today.

Have fun!

7. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

I've been Geocaching for several years, but use a "real" GPS for doing it. I don't know how the vehicle GPS systems would work for Geocaching. They may work okay, but I have no personal experience.

Personally, I use a Garmin 60CSX for Geocaching, hunting, etc. I can also use it in my vehicle for urban/street navigation.

8. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

wow, that's valuable info HH....thanks!! Will look into that. I wonder if this class at REI will touch on using a regular GPS.

Tarpleyg........those are cheaper than I realized. I got kind of discouraged seeing hand held units for 300 to 500 dollars. 100 bucks is much more do-able.

9. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

most excellent info......thanks!! This is great info!!

10. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

You can enter gps coords in the nuvi. Where am I will also give you an ok reading. Having said that I plan on buying an actual walking around gps one of these months as an alternative. More options, etc.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  11. NanH

NanH

I have an old Garmin, too and need to upgrade. Geocaching is fun. Sometimes I get ooged out when I cache alone in a strange area so I always check in with Mr. NanH and let him know where I am.

The benchmarking is also really interesting if you are into history. You can find info about it on the geocaching website, too.

12. vafish

vafish

I geocache with an old magellan GPS315. It works just fine. I have the cable to connect it to the computer and use EazyGPS to upload geocaches as waypoints. It's an old GPS, needs to average a few times to get right on top of the caches, I usually have to walk past the cache about 3 times from different directions to get right on it, but it works just fine. The only Caches I have not found were when I was looking with 2 feet of snow on the ground. And I still found 2/3's of the ones I was looking for.

You can use any GPS that lets you enter coordinates for Geocaching.

Here are some reviews of the Nuvi 200W by people who used it for geocaching.

https://www.geocaching.com/reviews/gps_garmin_nuvi-200w

As you can see it is not the ultimate geocaching machine. But it will work if you just want to try the hobby out.

I really don't see why you need to take a class to learn how to Geocache. Just go to the web site, https://www.geocaching.com/ create an account, read the getting started pages, find some caches near your home (I was amazed there are about 50 of them within a couple of miles of my house, every little park and green space has one it seems. Start with some easy rated ones.), enter their location into your GPS and go for a walk.

My guess is that REI uses their geocaching classes to sell GPS receivers to people.

Bells and whistles make geocaching easier, but inexpensive units work just fine for the hobby you just have to work a little bit harder, manually enter coordinates, maybe a little less accuracy so you search a bit more.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  13. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

OF COURSE the Nuvis SUCK for geocaching, they did that on purpose so you would run out and buy another gps to use offroad. The 60CX is the one I use for that.

14. peacekeeper defense

peacekeeper defense

Geocaching with the NUVI should work - Just remember that when there is satellite interruption you won't find your stuff unless you know how to use the good old map and compass.

VR PD

15. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

There are many geocaches. Some require back country hiking and some you can practically drive to. For the easy ones, and to get your feet wet, the Nuvi will work. You can enter lat/lon coordinates and in Pedestrian mode it's not locked to the roads. Of course geocaching is not what the Nuvi is designed for. Some reasons not to use one are: short battery life, rechargeable non-replaceable batteries, fragile, not waterproof, somewhat bulky, not as accurate as some handhelds. I don't really geocache. I have used my Nuvi 255 to go after a couple of easy local ones. The GPS is only going to get you close to but not on top of most caches. If I can lose weight and get in better shape it is something I'd like to try more of.

You can also load free topo maps on it from here:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

16. SFCSMITH(RET)

SFCSMITH(RET)

we have a nuvi for the car, and I *think* it could be used for caching, but we also have a magellan eXplorist XL that we got just for GC. Works great, and I have seen them for sale used at pretty reasonable cost. The biggest advantage the XL has over the nuvi is batteries, the XL uses AA's of which I have a bout 40 nimh's so we can go weeks on battery power, the nuvi has an internal propriatary battery with about a 3 hour life span... can be important if you and friends have driven miles from home to knock out a dozen caches and have a big weekend out and about, as we do quite often.

17. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

that's good stuff VA fish!! Thanks!! Yeah I have wondered if the prime reason for the class is to sell people one of their overpriced walking GPS's (higher than the suggested retail prices at other places for the things). That crossed my mind. The class was free and I can still cancel. Trying out my Nuvi on this first will get my feet wet to see if I like the little activity without putting anymore money into it. That's great info you gave, thanks!!

18. sopdan

sopdan

IMHO, you don't need to go to any class about geocaching. It's not complicated enough to warrant a class. Geocaching.com will probably have all the info you could ever need.

Maybe this is what the class will be: :dunno:
    http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/gps+geocaching.html

If you can input coordinates into your GPS, and follow the directions it gives you, that's all you need (user manual and/or internet can help with that part). The GPS (no matter how accurate) will not lead you to the exact point, that's the fun part of 'caching... the GPS gets you to the general vicinity, and then you use your eyes/mind to figure out where the cache is hidden. (using hints if needed)

I haven't gone out in quite a while, I probably should.

19. vafish

vafish

As you already know the types of Geocaches vary quite a bit and a lot of them don't require you to walk very far. But if you do a selection of several caches in one area you can plan a nice walk out of it.

Like any other exercise you have to make the effort to do it, but Geocaching is a great excuse to get out of the house. I usually drag my kids and dogs along.

We did a 3.6 mile walk through the park a block away from our house. Never got more than 3/4 of a mile from the house and found 3 caches. It had been about 3 years since I went looking for caches in that park. All the old ones I found had been abandoned, looted, or other wise removed.

I did take my brother in law geocaching over Christmas. He had tried once and couldn't find anything. He was a little over whelmed by his GPS. And became very confident after someone showed him the ropes and we found a cache. Some people just like learning from a teacher, not reading it themselves in a book.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  20. ranger56528

ranger56528

I use my Garmin eTrex Vista HCx...