Talk me into, or out of, G30 .40 super conversion (please)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cadjak, Jul 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. cadjak

cadjak

Main reason I'm considering adding a .40 Super conversion to my Glock 30 is just because I just learned that it's possible. Next reason is because I am getting too old to carry my S&W 500 all day. (I truly love the beast and shoot it well). The .40 super would be a replacement for my g30, 10mm KKM conversion. When I get a bug like this, I usually just jump in and either enjoy or regret it. The only conversion barrel I can get right now is a KKM, stock length, plain barrel, so that's what I'll start with. Can I have your thoughts on this idea? Thanks

2. creami

creami

I have a Glock G30S that I think is the best compact 45 I think I've ever owned. It's very concealable and I'm fairly slim at 5' 10" 135 pounds. I've owned an Ultra Raptor II and I like this gun better for a variety of reasons. I just purchased a G26 yesterday also. I have the Glock bug bad this month. I already want to go get another!

3. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Hi cadjak, take a look at the Glock 30 information at the link in my signature line below. Under the section titled "Caliber Conversions and Ammo" there is a discussion on the conversion to .40 Super and a link to a video.

cadjak likes this.
  4. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

My past and previous prejudices do not include the Thompson Encore philosophy of changing barrels for caliber conversions. Since you already have the 10mm I can only speculate that you are very good in your skill level in competition under duress or bored, and looking for something else. You answer the question, and judge your maturity.

5. 1892

sorry I don't virtually talk anyone into anything...next question please...

6. smokey45

smokey45

Had a 400 Corbon barrel for a Sig 220. It was-----------well, loud. Enjoyed shooting it a few times, but ammo was too expensive, and I had no desire to load for it. So if you go with the .40 Super, you'll likely want to reload it. Have you considered the .45 Super?
    s45

7. cadjak

cadjak

I've considered the 45 Super, and the 460 Rowland, the Rowland would require me to lok-tite a compensator onto the barrel, and the 45 Super may need an aftermarket barrel for additional support. But truthfully, when I look at photos of various aftermarket barrels I can't really see much difference. That issue may just be internet "expertise". My gen 3, model 30 already has a 23lb recoil spring and does fine with both .45acp and 10mm. The 40 Super seems like a significant step up in power for my G30, from every thing except the 460 Rowland. I hoped to get to 40 Super with only the cost of a conversion barrel.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  8. cadjak

cadjak

Wow! That is an amazing and useful link. My questions for you, would be, "do you think a 40 super from a G30 actually requires a compensator?" and "Have you had any problems feeding the 40 Super bottleneck cartridges/".

9. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

In a sidearm for woods protection, I wanted to carry Underwood 220gr HC-FN loaded in the .40 Super pistol. I opted for a compensator to help keep the muzzle down and reduce split times for follow-up shots. I figure it isn't much protection against predators if one can't get several heavy rounds on target quickly. The compensator was the better alternative for those requirements with the small G30. Of course, the extra barrel length increases muzzle velocity too.

You can try it without a compensator with the 23-lb recoil spring, but I suggest that you at least buy an extended length barrel threaded for a compensator. When you feel the kick of Underwood 40 Super ammo in a G30, I think you'll be glad you have the barrel ready for a compensator. I wasn't aware that KKM would make a 40 Super barrel for the G30. I prefer KKM instead of EFK Fire Dragon if they can make a threaded barrel for you. KKM is usually willing to cut the barrel to a length specified by the customer, but maybe the issue is threading it 9/16 x 24 for a generic compensator(?) I think the 40S&W comp that KKM sells is threaded differently (9/16 x 32). Bar-Sto is another vendor to contact about a 40 Super barrel.

I haven't had problems feeding the Underwood 220gr HC-FN .40 Super from a well-maintained, standard 10-rnd G30 mag (EFK barrel with compensator and 23-lb RSA). However, that's the only ammo I've tested extensively since my converted pistol is used only for carry duty in the woods which is done infrequently for our household. I've heard of nose-dive problems feeding the 40 Super bottleneck cartridge from the 13-rnd G21 mag. One fix for that I've seen is to replace the follower, spring, and insert in the 45ACP mag with the corresponding parts from a 10mm mag. There is a video explaining this fix >>> Glock 21 40 Super 13rd Mag Fix

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015