Glock Talk banner

Talk me into or out of a duplicate carry gun

2665 85
After the Bruen decision carry is now a real thing for me, even here in commie controlled lands.

I have had a FL nonrez license for 15+ years so Im not a newcomer.

I bought into 40 cal years ago and just landed a really nice PD trade in 23 for my primary carry in sweatshirt weather times of the year. The question is should I go to the well again for a second one set up almost identically.

I already have big brother and little brother and a gen 2 23 but the gen 2 doesnt always work in newer holsters if something happens to the one I just got.

The place I got this 23 still has them and its a really good deal. Im old enough to regret some things in years past that dried up. I dont think the trade in 40s will be around much longer at bargain prices.

HT
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
After the Bruen decision carry is now a real thing for me, even here in commie controlled lands.

I have had a FL nonrez license for 15+ years so Im not a newcomer.

I bought into 40 cal years ago and just landed a really nice PD trade in 23 for my primary carry in sweatshirt weather times of the year. The question is should I go to the well again for a second one set up almost identically.

I already have big brother and little brother and a gen 2 23 but the gen 2 doesnt always work in newer holsters if something happens to the one I just got.

The place I got this 23 still has them and its a really good deal. Im old enough to regret some things in years past that dried up. I dont think the trade in 40s will be around much longer at bargain prices.

HT
Any gun I'm willing to carry is a gun I get a 2nd of. I also set it up the same way.

·
Registered
35,005 Posts
1 is none, 2 is one. God forbid you use your weapon for SD encounter, they will take your weapon. When you have two, you have a way to defend yourself with your backup. More practically, you have a parts gun.

·
Registered
7,087 Posts
I don't have any duplicate guns (yet). With that being said, scince you already have a G23 for cooler weather, if you don't already have one, I'd consider a more warm weather cancealable gun. You can always pick up another G23 later.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
All of my regular shooters have at least two duplicates, I do so for several reasons...

If I'm carrying it I must like it so if one breaks, gets stolen, damaged, wears out, gets discontinued, etc... I have back ups. Another reason is that I like to know the durability of what I use regularly, as in how much use & abuse can it take before I need to consider replacing.

But one of my favorite reasons is that I don't like to spend time cleaning, life is short invest it wisely.

I have at least three of anything I carry, one is broken in... sighted in... inspected... cleaned,,, then never shot again. It is only carried then checked a couple of times a year. Then I have a range duplicate, I make sure it shoots to same POA/POI as my carry, then I beat the ever loving snot out of it practicing. Go shoot it, funk it up, toss it in a safe, then ignore it until the next time I want to shoot it. Many of these have gone countless thousands of rounds without ever being cleaned. And finally I have at least one back up that is never shot, just socked away in a safe for a rainy day.

I do this with both carry guns as well as long guns used for HD or VD

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
2023 is my new years resolution to get a CA CCW.

That said............... I expect to be highly regulated and have to cross all the t's and dot all the i's and don't expect to be able to frequently change out my CCW arms.

SO it occurred to me I might want a duplicate carry in case my primary went down and I wanted to carry the same thing while I waited for it to get repaired.

Then in my specific case of primary CCW choice it was going to be a G26. At which point I realized the ONLY!!!!!!! reason a G26 Gen3 would be completely deadline is if the frame itself broke and blew up. Absolutely every single other part I can quickly swap out myself.

So it became apparent, that my three allotted license choices are all about SERIAL NUMBERS, not duplication of the actual firearm itself.

Don't duplicate a carry if you are limited to the choices and you can't change out that choice easily. Especially if said choice is easily repaired in your garage with part swapping.

Off topic, but my three choices are going to be driven along the lines of a snub nose revolver, a pocket semi auto, and then the largest being the G26 as my expected primary.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts