Talk me into buying a 308…

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by woggie, Feb 23, 2010.

1. woggie

woggie

OK fellow GTers, here is my dilemma. I have a “high end” AR15, one basic model AR15, and a Sig 556 so I have (3) different rifles that will shot .223. The more I think about it the more I want to get a .308, specifically a DSA SA58 of some form or fashion (leaning towards a para model). I don’t NEED one but when does that ever keep us from buying a gun? If I don’t buy this I will probably spend it on some other type of pistol and/or rifle.

I like the idea that the 308 is beefier then the 223 and I would probably end up getting some type of bolt action (Remington 700) hunting rifle to utilize the 308 as well. While I do not hunt it is something I would like to do, just need to get my wife and kids to eat venison. Every time I try and get them to eat it they back out! I really like the FAL style rifles and think the DSA is probably one of the better choices.

I hate the idea that I would have yet another type of ammo to keep track of, not to mention it is almost 2x the cost of 223 to shot. I know that if the SHTF both a 308 AND 223 would work well so I am covered either way, although I think the 308 would probably be better in the long run for hunting and such. I have the money to order a DSA and if I did I would go ahead and get it tricked out with the various features/options but the lead time on getting it is months so the live in the today part of me thinks it sucks. I can always find one and eventually add stuff to it over time as well which would end up cheaper. I could get more “bang for the buck” if I did not buy the DSA and took the money and bought something else.

I have a couple of friends that live out of state that swear by the DSA’s but I have yet to shot one. I do not think it will be any less fun then my other 223 rifles. The DSA FALs are some nice guns from everything I have read …

So, what should I do?

Thanks,
    Woggie

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  2. Lowrangerider

Lowrangerider

3. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

I think everyone needs a .308. I have more than my share ( 4- FALs, M1A, Polytech M14S, PTR-91KP, FR-8, KAC SR-25 Mk11 Mod 0, and a Beretta BM59). The FAL is an excellent weapon as is the M1A.

4. 76again

76again

great caliber.
    Take a roadtrip and try your pal's DSA before laying out the big bucks. Have heard good things about the DSA"s but never shot one. The Rem 700 is dynamite but of course that serves a different purpose than the DSA.
    As for venison - get ahold of some, make chili and don't tell 'em what it is until it's gone. Then break the news. And tell 'em it was a "daddy deer".

5. mikeyU

mikeyU

Get a .308, I would like to add another to my safe, I only have an M1A, I like the M1A but think I should get a DSA FAL someday.

6. rtl

rtl Robby The Guy Millennium Member

do it! i tried a DSA FAL and PTR-91, but found the Norinco M14 to be superior (with a few GI mods of course)

7. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

If you are going to get a semi .308, get the M1a. IMO a bolt gun is what you should get.

Look into this, it is a complete Howa sniper rifle set up, includes every thing, for $1000.

http://www.snipercentral.com/entrypackage.htm
    [​IMG]

8. space_weazel

space_weazel

Do it
    [​IMG]

9. Noodles McGee

Noodles McGee

FAL all the way.

the projectile of the 7.62x51 weights more than the entire cartridge of a 55gr 5.56.

2x the price of ammo is a moot point when you will need half as much ammo.

10. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

I'm quite fond of my SA58. I prefer it over the AR10, M1A, and G3 platforms. I'm really eyeballing the new REPR by LWCR, though.

11. alexanderg23

alexanderg23

12. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Yes, one interesting note about a suppressed .308 bolt action (not semi-auto) is very quiet. This is because there is no noise coming back through the action, and the sonic boomlets occur down range.

13. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Yeah bolt actions are the way to go if you want to put a can on. It is possible to turn the gas system on most semi-autos off though.

BTW Damn your avatar, made me put a thumb mark on my screen. :supergrin:

14. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

I know on an FAL the gas can be turned off; however, I have never fired a suppressed FAL.

15. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

[​IMG]

16. trover

trover CLM

It's my favorite caliber. Have it in the M1A and AR-10 and in a BAR. Do it, and you'll wonder why you have all those .223s. :D

17. BobbyT

BobbyT

Screw the bolt action.

An AR-10 built M4-style will do just about everything.
    Think of it this way: it'll match the accuracy of a bolt rifle, and even with a 16 (or 14, of 12.5) inch barrel have more than double the energy of any AR-15 or AK.

18. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Get it, its important that you buy it. A .308 belongs in every gun collection.

19. woggie

woggie

Thanks or all the replies, it "helped" push me over the edge! I decided to go ahead and buy a DSA FAL as my first 308 rifle! A number of you have given me some really good ideas for what other 308s I may be looking at. I have to get the wife over this purchase and then I will start on the next one. I was all ready to have one built from DSA and wait forever but my dealer may have a line on one in stock at DSA with all the features I wanted. I will know next week if it is in fact a go or I will have to wait for it to be built. Keep your fingers and toes crossed! Thanks for all the info guys, I will keep you posted!

20. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

That looks like a afternoon of fun. How irresponsible of you. :whistling: