Talk about "dropping the hammer"...

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by R. Emmelman, Sep 5, 2007.

1. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

Link

From The Indianapolis Star

September 5, 2007

Resident's hammer puts end to attack
    By Vic Ryckaert
    [email protected]
    September 5, 2007

Police say a 59-year-old Indianapolis man used a hammer to fend off a man trying to rob his Near-Eastside home Monday night.
    Harold A. Boyce told police he woke up to find a 6-foot, 200-pound white male robbing his home in the 1700 block of Thaddeus Street about 11:50 p.m. Police described the suspect as in his mid-to-late 20s, with brown hair and a beard.
    Boyce had a number of tools near his bed. When the suspect noticed Boyce waking up, he struck Boyce in the head with one of the victim's nail guns, police said. Boyce rolled out of bed and began fighting with him.
    Boyce, police said, grabbed a hammer from his toolbox and struck the intruder in the head two or three times.
    Boyce pushed the man out the back door, and he ran away, police said.
    The intruder stole a blue Sprint cell phone, police said.
    Boyce suffered cuts to his head and face but refused an ambulance, police said. A friend later drove Boyce to Wishard Memorial Hospital, police said.
    Last month, Gurmukh Singh decided to take matters into his own hands when two armed robbers entered his Westside shop.
    Swinging a baseball bat, Singh, 26, chased two armed robbers from his store.
    He then followed them into the parking lot and swung his bat against a Ford pickup truck the robbers were using so they could not escape, according to police reports

2. Scutter01

Scutter01

That poor man! How is he supposed to make a living when hammer-toting cowboys are allowed to attack people at will? I'm sure he thought he was illegally breaking into his own house and just wanted to go to sleep. Instead some maniac vigilante starts slinging cold steel at him!

We need to outlaw hammer possession immediately. If we continue to let these people have hammers whenever they want, blood will run in the streets! There will be hammer fights over parking spaces! Honestly, he was *inside the house*. He wasn't on a construction site. I really can't see any reason why someone would need a hammer inside their house. Let's not even talk about what would happen if a kid found the hammer and decided to hit his friend with it. At the very least, we need to have proper controls on hammer possession. That includes things like limits on the number of hammers a person may own, background checks, and a waiting period on all new construction.

3. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Broken Member

Will framing hammers (22 oz. or more with the waffle faces) be tagged "assault hammers"?

4. hillclimber

hillclimber blackwater vet

Robber will now be called "Hammerhead" by his friends......

5. Scutter01

Scutter01

Only if the handle is black.

6. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Will i need a from 4 for a roofing hatchet?

7. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I hereby propose banning assault hammers with the following characteristics:

Black handles
    Blue handles (my Estwing hit my thumb last year and I still haven't forgiven it... personal grudge!)
    claws
    rubberized grips
    smooth heads
    textured heads
    hammers over 16 ounces (ball peen hammers up to 18 ounces allowed)
    masonry enabling devices
    drywall enabling devices
    magnets (except tack hammers under 4 ounces and painted pink)

Any automatic nail propelling device using compressed air is also a menace to society, and shall be banned.

8. Scutter01

Scutter01

What about hammers with handles over 12 inches? What constitutes a hammer, anyway? If I separate the head and the handle, I really just have a stick and a block of steel. Is it still a hammer? Can I transport it with the nails or should the nails be stored separately?

A hammer without nails is a screwdriver.

9. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

I have heard that ring-shank nails are illegal in NJ.

10. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

If you remove the head from the handle and place a lock through it such that it goes through the head preventing insertion of handle and reassembly, you may trasport said hammer in a locked case, provided it is a Monday.

It is also assumed you will not add parts like paint or stickers that change the parts count, in which case you will have to go to the SKS forum to check your parts count and resubmit your application to Stanley Estwing. Otherwise you will owe me a fine of $568.

* NOTE: This hammer product is known by the State of California to contain chemicals that cause cancer in laboratory animals. Intentional concentration and inhaling of fumes can result in brain damage. Do not use without parental supervision. In the event of a blunt thumbnail injury, certain profanities, expressions of discontent, and other legal rights may apply. Check local laws.

11. hiram2005p0

hiram2005p0

The only way you may have a removable handle is that it can only be re-inserted from the top (top- loading) ala Kalifornia. Then it could only be used in an upside down position!:animlol:

12. pupcuss27

pupcuss27 CLM

Where can I get a suppressor for my model 22 Stanley ??? :animlol:

13. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

Isn't that one of those "saturday night special" hammers?

14. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

In all seriousness, I have a supressor for my hammer. As pointed out above... it was my thumb. Unfortunately, despite the successful supression of the concussive blow and report, the flow of words immediately following revealed my position and eliminated the element of surprise! The nail was alerted to my presence, and dove for cover...

15. Dyerbill

Dyerbill

There needs to be a three day cooling off period before buying or using any hammer.

I am a Democrat and I approved this inane message and total waste of taxpayer dollars.

16. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

You guys have come up with some pretty funny stuff.....:thumbsup: