Taking the plunge on glass

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by HomeLandPatriot, Mar 27, 2010.

1. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot

I may have finally rounded up the cash to throw an aimpoint on my AR, but I have a question.

I have found a demo model from a retailer that he is letting go for deep discounts. He claims and I can pretty well see that it is in great condition, but the actual age of the optic is questionable.

My question is, if an aimpoint is put in a box and forgot about for 5 years or so, could this degrade the optic in any way other than battery life? I wanna jump all over this deal, I just don't want to end up buying a relic that has more problems than a new one.

2. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

With it covered, I would think it would be good as new.

3. Telecaster

Telecaster

Same here. I have Aimpoints on my fighting arms. Never had any problems with them. I would just replace the battery with a new one and start out fresh. My Aimpoint T-1 Micro uses a small watch-style, flat battery. CR-2032? It has a life span of 5 years even when left on.

FWIW-I've found that it continues to work even at -45*F. My Eotech would begin to die fast at even 20* above, and it had 2 much larger 123A batteries. Your Aimpoint might also use the 123-style batteries, but energy consumption is much more efficient with the Airmpoint.

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

If you can handle it and not notice any issues buy it. I have aimpoints that have been used for 5 years and don't show any degredation.

5. Novocaine

Novocaine

Got my Aimpoint around '97. Not that I abused it but it’s been through some dust and heat. I also live in San Francisco (fog) and never kept it in a special dehumidified area. As far as performance go I wouldn't tell it from when it was new.