Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I were recently at our Gunshop/range and she managed to find a cerakoted battleship grey frame with stainless slide in the case for right at $500. She's happy with her new winter carry; I'm contemplating something.
They, of course, have new Gen5 19s in stock albeit they are out of the NS versions. Then I spotted a Gen4 19C hanging out in the back of the case. . .

We're going back to shoot again on Tuesday so she can spend more time with her new carry and I can test out some things I've done to my 43.
I planned on taking a closer look at the 19C and the gen5 as winter choices so what's GT's input on a comparison between those two models?
I'm familiar already with Gen4s in general but not wither either of these two models in terms of how they perform. Personal input would be appreciated. I'll probably be bringing one of them home next week.

·
M62/76
13,156 Posts
What are you planning on doing with it?

Personally I’ve never been a fan of the C models as they create more flash and noise then necessary (IMO) and the felt recoil of a 9mm doesn’t warrant a compensated bbl. I can’t get on board with the Gen5s as they have ambi-slide releases which I think of as an unnecessary lever hanging off of the gun. I’ve ccw’d a Gen3 19 in an IWB for the past six years and like it...a boring, standard Gen3 (with a 3.5 Ghost and TruGlos).

Bottom line- shoot the guns you’re considering as much as you can and find what YOU like. Go from there, good luck!

·
Army Vet
768 Posts
I love my G19 Gen 3. It's my go-to cold-weather CCW.

"C" models will ruin your night vision if they are used in a low-light SD situation...

Reactions: Struggle_Russ

·
Banned
1,882 Posts
I
My wife and I were recently at our Gunshop/range and she managed to find a cerakoted battleship grey frame with stainless slide in the case for right at $500. She's happy with her new winter carry; I'm contemplating something.
They, of course, have new Gen5 19s in stock albeit they are out of the NS versions. Then I spotted a Gen4 19C hanging out in the back of the case. . .

We're going back to shoot again on Tuesday so she can spend more time with her new carry and I can test out some things I've done to my 43.
I planned on taking a closer look at the 19C and the gen5 as winter choices so what's GT's input on a comparison between those two models?
I'm familiar already with Gen4s in general but not wither either of these two models in terms of how they perform. Personal input would be appreciated. I'll probably be bringing one of them home next week.
I have a G20C. It does have less muzzle flip than my non C G20's. But the effect on recoil is negligible. To be honest the flash and noise are so bad I haven't fired her in about a decade with the C barrel. I do use her for hunting with the Glock 6" hunting barrel or as the lower for my 22 lr upper. I don't exactly regret the purchase but in retrospect, and because I have 3 G20's, I probably could have done without.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
The several disadvantages of the G19C and other ported C models overwhelm any possible advantage of reduced muzzle flip and recoil, EXCEPT in pure range toy gun-gamer use.

1. Visual flash is commonly cited, but it is seldom a serious issue. It is the least significant disadvantage.
2. Increased audible blast is a very serious disadvantage in a weapon that is likely to be used for defense without shooter hearing protection. Indoors or out, hearing will be damaged without protection, although it may not be immediately noted at the time shots are fired.
3. Porting reduces slide recoil velocity, which makes ammo selection more critical (with greater power factor needed) to ensure "limp wrist" style malfunctions (FTF, FTE, etc.) do not occur. Porting always reduces auto-pistol functional reliability.
4. Bullet muzzle velocity and energy are always reduced. That's not good for a weapon.

Except for competition and similar gun games, porting a recoil-operated auto-pistol is an insanely bad idea. This is especially true for mild energy and power factor cartridges like 9x19mm. Porting sets the shooter up for firearm functional failure...never good if the firearm is a weapon. Other than that, I can't think of anything bad about ported C-models. :)

The Gen5 G19, preferably with the recently bevel-contoured frame, has shown itself to be a mature product with significant internal mechanical improvements that resolve Glock historical problems associated with the trigger spring, firing pin safety, slide lock spring, firing pin tip, trigger with trigger bar, and slide RSA boss.

There's no question which G19 I'd choose...the Gen5 G19. It's not perfect, but it is a very solid improvement over earlier G19s.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have several Gen 4's from the 43 to the 20, my new Gen 5 19 and 17 are the best of the bunch, being a lefty the ambi slide stop/release is fantastic , and it works, much better than a lot of other models, I look at my carry guns as fighting guns, and require them to be user friendly in both right and left hand, having an ambi Slide stop/release is a must, you never know if your off hand will be able to sling shot the slide if needed in a stressful situation, having this ambi option can save my life , and the other upgrades on the GEN 5's are a big improvement over my Gen 4's, I won't give up my G-4's , but my new EDC's will be the Gen5's, they just work much better for me, without having to touch them, they run great right out of the box...

Reactions: Struggle_Russ

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Welcome to GT

I have 2 Gen3 19's, it is by far one of the most popular, versatile and reliable handguns available.

I had G17C for about a month. Not only was it louder but with the 'nostrils' it required extra cleaning.

I have yet to shoot the Gen5's. Personally I prefer a 3 pin model over a 2 pin model.

I am a Gen3 fan. Hold an RTF2 Gen3, best grip texture. They have been re-released due to demand.

Gen4 uses an updated recoil spring assembly. I do not care for the grip texture, not a G4 fan, but a lot of people are.

If you add the Glock + mag extensions, you have 17 rounds per mag over 15.

Happy hunting

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think there's enough of an overwhelming negative vibe about the 19C that I can safely remove it from my watchlist. It does sound like something I'll enjoy for a range toy, but my next purchase has to serve a main role of CCDW. I'll take a closer look at the Gen 5 this week. Initial hands-on left me hating the gap on the bottom of the front strap. I mean HATED it. My pinky goes right over it and I notice every millimeter of missing material.
That was the only physical downside on initial hands-on though. I'm not OCD but the examples my LGS had don't have beveled frames. It doesn't effect function, but I liken it to buying a car and the front bumper paint doesn't match the rest of the car. It bugs when I look at it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have Gen3 19C, G43 and a Gen4 41. Personally I have not had any of the issues with my 19C cited here. I live in the country and stopped counting the number of raccoons and possums I’ve shot at night with my 19C. Muzzle flash has been a non issue as well as reducing recoil impulse. The previous claim that ammunition reliability in the 19C is ridiculous. I’ve ran over 2,000 rounds of various brands, weights and bullet construction through my 19C in the 8 or so years since I’ve had it and it has ALWAYS ran like you expect a Glock to run. I will say if you’re buying a ported Glock for reduced muzzle flip you’re likely to be disappointed. If you’re discounting a ported Glock because of muzzle flash, compromised reliability or any number of other silly claims like loss of velocity (that’s funny) then you’re throwing out a quality option based on hogwash. Glock doesn’t make junk and good quality is consistent in all models. I would say to make your choice based on which model has the features that fit your needs. Good luck.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm not sure what the complaint is all about with the front cut out on the Gen 5 grip frame, those of us that own one or more of these Gen 5's including myself have no problem gripping the gun, our fingers don't get pinched, I do have large hands and they are callused, and this has no effect on my pinky at all, if you have small delicate hands /fingers then maybe, I like this option, I'm not sure I'll need it, the mag release pops the mags out with fury, the Gen 5's at least mine are more accurate, have a better triggers, which aid in accuracy, mine came with Amerglo night sights that were spot on, and I like them, the slight mag well flair aid in the grip, as well as the stippling which is a big plus, the new slide finish looks great, and doesn't wear off, for me I feel Glock knows what they're doing much more than me, and and I can appreciate that, I'll be buying future Gen 5's and other new models as they come out...

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
Shoot a non ported gun in a retention drill, then see if you still want a ported carry gun.
Ported guns have many ticks in the pro side, but if you want it for carry the ticks on the con side are abundant too.
I am not saying don't get it, but if you can shoot it first I would.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Shoot a non ported gun in a retention drill, then see if you still want a ported carry gun.
Ported guns have many ticks in the pro side, but if you want it for carry the ticks on the con side are abundant too.
I am not saying don't get it, but if you can shoot it first I would.
This is an excellent point that I’ve never considered! I don’t think I’d want to do very many retention drills with a ported hand gun. Makes me glad I carry my G41 instead of my 19C. Would have hated to find out the hard way! Thanks Old Buzzard 74.

·
Crusty Member
10,955 Posts
Two things I haven’t seen mentioned:
The C + night sights is problematic as the ports will quickly soot up your front sight.

OTOH, with the C, you can buy a non-ported barrel and carry that configuration, and swap in the ported barrel only when you want the ports.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts