Taking out the trash.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by REA9mm, Feb 8, 2010.

1. REA9mm

REA9mm get ready

I posted this in another thread, but I wanted to get you guy's opinion on this situation. I'm pretty sure I handled it properly. Let me preface this by saying that I live on the south side of St. Louis, and while my neighborhood is pretty nice, it's right next to some that are quite bad. Also, I work from home and I carry 100% of the time while at home, but not elsewhere b/c I don't have my CCL yet.

I was taking out the trash to the back alley one afternoon on my 4 p.m. break. As I was tossing the bag into the dumpster, a very scared looking man ran in between the houses and into my backyard. He immediately went to the door on my garage and I heard him trying to get in (couldn't see him from this angle). The door was locked so he darted across the yard in front of me and jumped the fence, and continued running down the alley. About, 90 seconds later I had 3 officers and a K9 run thru the yard in pursuit. I pointed them in the direction of the perp. and they took off after him. I heard the police chopper coming on to the scene as I headed back in. I would've stayed out longer, but my break was over.

I never did find out what that guy had done, but in the part of the city where I live, it was most likely drug related or a burglary. I had my G19 holstered on me at the time, but no round in the chamber (a mistake I won't make again). The perp. never even looked at me in his frantic attempt to escape the police. He also did not appear to have a weapon. I could have drawn on him to detain him for the police, but since I was standing in the alley where the dumpster was, I was technically off my property, and without my CCL, I figured that could land me in a heap of trouble. Especially since the police were quickly on the heels of this guy. I am also very glad I had my garage door locked b/c had I not been outside at the time to see this and it was unlocked, this perp. could have been hiding in there when my wife got home from work.

2. youngvr4

youngvr4

lesson learned. the smell of a wake up call is always nice, sets us back to reality.

glad you and your family are alright

3. steve1988

steve1988

I'd assume that the officers could be counted on for discretion, but you know what they about assumptions...

4. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It also seems, based on my reading of the post and interpretation of what happened, that the OP would have had to assume the man was running from the police. It sounds like he did not know that until ~90 seconds after the fact...

5. viniglock

viniglock

What you can do is read the laws in your state and when you get your CCL classes most of your questions will be answer, and you can post this scenario to your instructor. There is not easy answer here and one cannot say that you did or did not do the right thing. Clearly your life was not in danger and you did not know if a crime was in progress. When you get the CCW you will find out that your are not the police, and that you will carry only to defend yourself and others in need to stop a crime, once the crime is stop either by shooting or the person leaving, that is you cannot follow.

6. Moonfish

Moonfish CLM

+1 for your situational awareness... but even if you do get your CCL, you do not enforce the law; it's all about defense of self and others. At the time, you didn't know the police were chasing this guy... it would be equally plausible that he may have been a victim... someone may have been chasing him with a gun.

7. steve1988

steve1988

Let me clarify that I was referring to the officers letting it slide that he was carrying ten feet away from his property line. I don't really feel like speculating on anything else.

8. REA9mm

REA9mm get ready

I was somewhat shocked when he first came running between the houses. After he disappeared behind the garage and I heard him trying the doors, my mental acuities kicked back in and I realized that if he came at me, I'd need to draw and rack rather quickly. I was standing ready, watching him the whole time, but as I said he didnt even glance towards me.

Sure got my adrenaline going,

9. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

For what ever reason, you did right. Now if you want to draw and chase bad guys go to BLET.

10. Dexters

Dexters

Where was your pepper spray?

11. REA9mm

REA9mm get ready

My wife had it! I wasn't going all mall ninja at home. Although I did have 2 extra mags on me. :whistling:

One positive that came of this experience is that my wife is now much more on board with me getting my CCL. :supergrin:

12. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Who in their right mind posts about a scenario where they broke the law?

Not me!

13. viniglock

viniglock

I can resist sorry,

But usually those that do will start a thread saying a "friend of mine".

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  14. youngvr4

youngvr4

because the police will go to his house and arrest him for this after reading it right?

15. Dexters

Dexters

Only 45 rounds for taking out the garbage - I can see you were traveling light.

What is your usual carry?

16. youngvr4

youngvr4

:rofl::rofl:

17. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

And why would you want to do that, even if it was legal (which is questionable)?

18. REA9mm

REA9mm get ready

Technically, you are right. I was approximately 5-10 feet off my property with a concealed weapon w/o a permit. :innocent:

haha, does sound a bit like overkill. I guess my usual carry is my G19 in a fobus paddle with 2 mags in a fobus paddle on my weak side. Not necessary for home carry, but it keeps me balanced. :cool:

19. REA9mm

REA9mm get ready

I wouldn't, and to be honest, I didn't think of that possibility till after the fact. Now that I give it more thought, the only way I would've drawn on him is if he came at me in a threatening way. In that scenario, I would probably be drawing to fire, not hold him at gun point, as I had no idea the police were close behind him.

20. F350

F350

Missouri is an open carry state, depending on what jack leg little burg the OP lives in there my be a city ordnance against open carry but it would amount to little more than a jay walking ticket.

Just now saw OP said he was carrying concealed, in my own house I don't bother to conceal, can't see any big dea

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010