close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Taking Glock Armorers course for first time?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by malleable, Mar 17, 2012.

1. malleable

malleable

I will be taking an "unofficial" Glock Armorers course in May at Front Sight. I have only field stripped & never detail stripped a Glock. I was afraid to try as I might think I learned how to do it but did so incorrectly.
    I don't want to be the annoying guy with 100 questions who holds up the class. What would you recommend that I learn beforehand?

2. sgtlmj

sgtlmj NRA Life Member Millennium Member

A drunken mutant monkey with no thumbs can detail strip a Glock. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

You'll need a 3/32 inch punch like the Glock Armorer's Tool for general detail stripping.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV0wDDFV0NY"]Glock Detail Strip And Reassembly (IN HD) - YouTube[/ame]

Here's an easy way to disassemble and reassemble the firing pin assembly:
    http://www.tgscom.com/images/sharedimages/Glockworld/SD12.jpg

Correct slide stop spring position: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15738529&postcount=3

Here's a video showing how to change the magazine catch: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BI4wLV-_ic"]Glock 27 Extended Mag Release Install - YouTube[/ame]
    I wouldn't use a screwdriver, I'd use something that's a lot less likely to gouge the plastic frame, like a curved dental pick. If you need to change the mag catch spring, you can use a pair of needlenose pliers to pull the spring out and push the new one in, I'd wrap the pliers lightly in masking tape as well.

There isn't a very good video for removing the slide lock and slide lock spring. You can use the Glock tool(3/32 inch punch) to depress the spring while you remove the slide lock, but removing the spring ideally you need something thinner like a 1/16 inch punch or even thinner. To remove the slide lock you push the spring down closest to the slide lock, while holding the spring down you tilt the frame to the side and wiggle the slide lock around until it falls out. Then you put the thin punch under the slide lock spring from the rear of the frame, move the tip of the punch up to where the spring goes into the frame, and gently incrementally work the spring upward. Take note of which way the spring goes back in. When putting the slide lock back in, it should be positioned like this: http://oi55.tinypic.com/2zxw6s1.jpg

If you have to remove the firing pin channel liner for some reason, you have to get a 5/16 inch male threaded bolt and thread it into the channel liner like a corkscrew into a cork. Then pull the old liner out. By doing this you destroy the channel liner, so you have to install a brand new one. When you insert the new one, the end with the bevelled lip goes toward the muzzle, you can use a 5/16 inch wooden dowel to push the new one in until it won't go forward any further. Brownells sells a tool that has one end to remove the old channel liner, the other end to help push the new one in. It's very rare to have to replace a channel liner, it's only necessary if the old one cracked or is severely gouged/embedded with bits of brass.

On the following page are some Glock Armorer's Manuals, just scroll down to the "G" section. I learned from the Update Manual and 2009 Manual. The 2009 Manual has a few pages missing, but that info can be found in the Update Manual as well.
    http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Magazine disassembly: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpRquLIpolc"]Glock magazine disassembly and reassembly - YouTube[/ame]
    NOTE: Older followers attach to the spring by putting the end of the magazine spring coil through a plastic loop on the bottom of the follower(like the follower you see in the above video). The newest followers don't have that loop, they simply have two plastic ledges to hold the spring in place, so pull the spring out of the follower until it "pops" out of the follower and push the spring into the bottom of the follower until the spring "pops" into place in the bottom of the follower.

4. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Just pay attention in class!

5. Deriffe

Deriffe

Honestly, the best thing is to go in with an open mind. Before going to my course, I made the mistake of buying a video at glockmeister.com and memorizing it. Turns out, there was some bad information in it. While most of the video was accurate, you actually do NOT need to beat the pins out with a hammer and punch. :wow:

Everything you need to learn will be taught in the class.

6. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

I attended the Glock Armorer's Course at a local PD training center (I'm not a LEO). The one LEO that brought his high lumen, hand-held tac light was extremely popular with people that had to hunt for their firing pin spring cups that went flying to the dark carpet below. If you have a tac light, bring it with you.

You'll do perfectly fine. Enjoy the course!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  7. malleable

malleable

Thanks, I guess I'm over thinking it.

8. MikeG36

MikeG36

I'm in the Glock course next week. Looking forward to it. Should be some great info in this course.

9. shilowar

shilowar

LOL I sent a couple flying myself :supergrin:

10. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

Use that money to buy ammo. The course was probably worth something before youtube. However, I had a detailed manual in 1990, two years before I even bought a Glock.

As stated earlier anybody can strip a Glock and put it back together.

The certificate means nothing. You get a "discount" on parts from the factory. The discount is minimal and not worth the 3 week wait. The parts are available from a dozen online sources and you will recieve them in 3 days as opposed to 3 weeks from Glock.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  11. MikeG36

MikeG36

True but having the cert could be worth it's weight in gold from a legal standpoint. Just saying if a guy did some work on his pistol; said work could be called into question unless he was an expert, qualified to work on this pistol - which a factory certified armorer would be. The guy who got his info from youtube on the other hand........

12. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

You may learn something, but you will not be certified. I hope you're not paying much for it.

13. TMNKWD

TMNKWD

My advice? Do a detail strip once or twice. You'll be able to pay attention more to what they are actually teaching and not on all the really minor issues.

14. SARDG

SARDG

Exactly! Nearly everyone on this thread (except MrV and myself) is thinking Certified Glock Armorer with pistol discounts and parts availability. I have no idea what a ""unofficial" Glock Armorers course in May at Front Sight" is. It may be okay, it may be worthless.

Glock Armorers Courses are available all over the country. You will be certified after passing that and able to buy 2 pistols per year for the LE price, and have access to Glock's rather poor parts ordering routine. The factory course from Glock is $195 and includes lunch. You will also get a 'free' Glock tool and an orange (1/2) cover plate.

http://www.glocktraining.com/

15. Kaonashi

Kaonashi

That's an interesting point but unless you're talking about a malfunction it doesn't really matter does it? You'll still be blamed for any changes that were made.

I hate to say pass off the blame but if anything having someone else do the work gives you a certain amount of deniabiity because you can say (and show the receipts to prove) that you asked for a specific change and if they did something else or there was a malfunction it isn't entirely your fault.

16. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

There is a lot of bad advice on Youtube. Why waste money on an unofficial class, when you can take the real class for $195.00 plus a GSSF membership. Being able to buy two G17 sized Glocks a year for $398.20, for 3 years certainly offsets the cost of the class.

The schedule at www.glocktraining.com is dynamic, changing every week, so keep checking back for a class near you.

And don't trust what Bubba tells you on Youtube!

Yes, detail stripping a Glock is easy. Problems occur in reassembly. That is why there are so many questions in General Glocking, like why does my slide now lock back after every round fired?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  17. Smooth_squeeze

Smooth_squeeze

Does one need to be recertified after 3 years?

18. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Re-certification every 3 years for armorers.

Re-certification every 5 years for advanced armorers.

I just re-certified again last Thursday. There is always something new to learn. Now I need to plan out my next six pistol purchases.:rofl:

19. Deriffe

Deriffe

An armorer who maintains weapons for a police department is certified by Glock. As long as they do not deviate from the material taught in the course and don't make any unauthorized alterations, if someone is needed to testify in court, Glock does it. Make any changes that are not authorized by Glock and YOU testify. That's direct quote from my instructor so to me, that same concept would apply to any weapons I inspect / maintain. That alone is worth it in my opinion.

20. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

I'll second the "Take the OFFICIAL Glock AC" motion. You get the officially-sanctioned info and manuals. Each student gets a Glock-provided pistol to work on, with no worries about possibly damaging your own gun (repeatedly removing/reinstalling pins, gouging the frame when learning how to remove the magazine catch, etc). You get a factory certificate, and the ability to purchase discounted guns. It IS true that the Glock AC doesn't cover EVERYTHING (they barely touched on Gen4 magazine catches because none in attendance worked for Gen4-using agencies, and the class-issued guns were Gen3's. They also provided scant info on sight installation).

There are those who downplay the value of taking the official Glock course, and who say you can learn everything you need to know on YOUTUBE, books, or DVD's. That's simply untrue. At the Glock AC, you will receive individual attention from the instructor if you are having difficulty with any aspect of disassembly/reassembly. You can't get that from a video, a book, or the internet. You absolutely CAN learn great stuff from those sources (sight work, for example), but those sources are best utilized through the filter of the official Glock AC.

With that said, if you are taking a non-Glock class, and wanted to prepare, the PTOOMA book is a very solid reference. There's nothing in there that is contradicted by the official Glock AC (btw, though, I think FrontSight may issue you a PTOOMA book at the class. You might want to check before purchasing).

I've been to four Glock AC's over the years, and two Glock IW's (3-day Instructor Workshop). I am both an armorer and instructor for a 200+ officer agency. I base the aforementioned opinions on 12 years of personal experience working on Glock pistols.