Glock Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Flux Capacitor Technician
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this so here goes. I’m planning on taking a trip this fall through DC, NYC and MA.

All the laws concerning simply transporting a handgun through these areas seem to tell me that even if unloaded and in locked box in trunk it is a no-go.

I’m not going to chance it by ignoring the law - that’s what criminals do.

I’m also not looking for the answer I “want to hear” either.

Anyone have experience in these places that can share some knowledge?

If it is absolutely verboten for me to take my legally owned handgun along through these places I guess I will just keep my hatchet in the truck because after all that at least can be called a tool or camping equipment.

·
You local friendly Skynet dealer
13,966 Posts
Commiechusetts had a 1 year mandatory jail law unless you could prove you were passing through the state to the free states, VT, NH, ME.

The shame of it all is Boston has some incredible historical sites. Some are no more than a brass inlay in the sidewalk where the Boston Massacre happened, Bunker hill monument, etc. It's called The Freedom Trail, and an easy walk when weather is good.

Reactions: ZX14R

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
My understanding of the laws in NYS since I go back every year for a week or so is ,as long as your not staying in NY you can pass through. I have taken my handgun back once only because my daughters house is just a few miles inside the gate. But since I have decided not to take the chance.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,680 Posts
Not sure where to post this so here goes. I’m planning on taking a trip this fall through DC, NYC and MA.

All the laws concerning simply transporting a handgun through these areas seem to tell me that even if unloaded and in locked box in trunk it is a no-go.

I’m not going to chance it by ignoring the law - that’s what criminals do.

I’m also not looking for the answer I “want to hear” either.

Anyone have experience in these places that can share some knowledge?

If it is absolutely verboten for me to take my legally owned handgun along through these places I guess I will just keep my hatchet in the truck because after all that at least can be called a tool or camping equipment.

Don't go to D. C.

IF you do, tear your vehicle inside out first and remove absolutely everything gun related. Not so much as a piece of spent brass or an unloaded bullet, nor any stickers hats etc to indicate you have ever touched a gun or thought about touching a gun.

I am serious

Reactions: Nevermore1

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Disclosures: I am NOT an attorney. Also, just because a law says "you can", doesn't mean the officer will know that.

Having said that, if you are legal at the point of origin and at the final destination, you can travel "through...uninterrupted" another state.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,680 Posts
Not even New York state residents can have a handgun without a may issue possession license listing each handgun by serial number before taking possession

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,680 Posts
Disclosures: I am NOT an attorney. Also, just because a law says "you can", doesn't mean the officer will know that.

Having said that, if you are legal at the point of origin and at the final destination, you can travel "through...uninterrupted" another state.

In theory the federal law says that. Doesn't mean the locals gaf about it...

·
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In theory the federal law says that. Doesn't mean the locals gaf about it...

Yeah I’m really thinking of just not going. True the FOPA is federal protection but from what I’ve read in those commie states you will still be arrested and can use FOPA as a defense. Guilty until proven innocent I guess!

·
Registered
59,811 Posts

. Sometimes the issue is how close the trip through a state is to "uninterrupted."

Reactions: Lunch Meat

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
. Sometimes the issue is how close the trip through a state is to "uninterrupted."
Very true Bruce. I live in this corridor and compete (so I travel through hostile territory) with competition arms. I always have the match schedule, which I’ve been apprised to do.

I’m babbling a bit now because I’ve had a Martini. :)

·
Supreme Member
4,464 Posts
Forget the hatchet. Go with this...

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
20,680 Posts
It's a big Country with plenty to see East of Ohio. Just skip Chicago. And maybe California, Washington, and Oregon.
You can keep a loaded handgun with you in your car in Chicago/Illinois with an out of state license. Compared to the places OP is asking about that's a godsend

·
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After research and weighing options were not going to the upper east coast.

The wife said and I quote “If they won’t let me carry then we won’t let them have any money. **** those places!”

God I love that woman!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.