Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Glock 17 has a takedown lever that is very resistant to use. When trying to pull it down, only one side of the lever moves, sometimes only halfway. The other side seems stuck but will move sometimes. It seems like one side of the lever is sticking out of the frame just barely enough to be noticed. I know the RSA is not out of place. The gun has yet to be fired. What's going on here? Is it just because the gun is new? How can I loosen up the lever?

·
Private side
11,640 Posts
Try using something to give you a little more friction on the slide lock, something to go in the grooves when you are pulling down.

I've found if you put slight pressure on it before you ease teh slide back it works a little better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Morning GlockFan624

Shoot the gun, that will loosen it up.
Try using something to give you a little more friction on the slide lock, something to go in the grooves when you are pulling down.

I've found if you put slight pressure on it before you ease teh slide back it works a little better.
What should I use to get more friction?

·
I'm your huckleberry....
18,108 Posts
Something to consider: A longer slide lock. Available for about $6 (iirc) from GlockParts.com. It sticks out a TINY bit further on both sides. Just enough so that you can get a better grip on that sucker! I love it and have one on all my Glocks.

Especially helpful with wet or oily/greasy hands

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Something to consider: A longer slide lock. Available for about $6 (iirc) from GlockParts.com. It sticks out a TINY bit further on both sides. Just enough so that you can get a better grip on that sucker! I love it and have one on all my Glocks.

Especially helpful with wet or oily/greasy hands
Does an OEM one exist?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
What is with the sudden rash of difficulty removing a GLOCK slide?!

I'm really starting to think some of you are just not using proper technique. I've never found the process to be even remotely difficult.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'm really starting to think some of you are just not using proper technique.
That's the weird thing about it. I'm following the manual's instruction. Only one side of the lever will drop.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
This one is my first.
I see. It sometimes can be difficult to take the slide off for people who are new to the Glock. I suggest you read your Glock manual, it nicely explains it with pictures how to grip the gun right with only one hand, and how to push down the takedown lever with the fingers of your other hand, so that it should be easy for everyone to take the slide off. The most important thing is that you slightly pull the slide back, only about 2-3 millimeters are needed to disengage the takedown lever/slide lock with the barrel.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
My new Glock 17 has a takedown lever that is very resistant to use. When trying to pull it down, only one side of the lever moves, sometimes only halfway. The other side seems stuck but will move sometimes. It seems like one side of the lever is sticking out of the frame just barely enough to be noticed. I know the RSA is not out of place. The gun has yet to be fired. What's going on here? Is it just because the gun is new? How can I loosen up the lever?
Sounds as if the slide lock is not centered so that the spring fits in the notch in the lock.

Try tapping or pushing the lock toward the side with little showing & see if you hear a click. If so, then try following the manual's instructions again. (You may have to pull the slide back a little while pushing the lock over.)

·
Registered
2,562 Posts

I'm really starting to think some of you are just not using proper technique. I've never found the process to be even remotely difficult.

Exactly what I was thinking. I never had any problems with the slide lock. FWIW my 8ur. old nephew can break a Glock down just as fast as i can without issue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Exactly what I was thinking. I never had any problems with the slide lock. FWIW my 8ur. old nephew can break a Glock down just as fast as i can without issue.
I bet! That's why I like Glock. But, this isn't a question of technique, more a potential mechanical or break-in-related issue.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Something to consider: A longer slide lock...It sticks out a TINY bit further on both sides. Just enough so that you can get a better grip on that sucker! I love it and have one on all my Glocks...
The Extended slide lock really DOES make a HUGE difference...No more broken fingernails. I have the (chrome-finished) Lone Wolf one on mine, and it REALLY helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Extended slide lock really DOES make a HUGE difference...No more broken fingernails. I have the (chrome-finished) Lone Wolf one on mine, and it REALLY helps.

Sounds like it would be cool but I'm one of those weird people who doesn't like to use use aftermarket parts on guns. The only thing I would do to my Glock is put XS sights on it.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Fingernails?

I have never tried that; finger tips have been working OK for me on Glocks for year.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts