Take off your shoes!!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Swiper, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Swiper

Swiper

I was brought up in a culture where it was standard to take off your shoes when entering somebody's residence. So in my house we don't wear shoes indoors. I also think its very rude to wear your outdoor shoes inside somebody's home without being told that it's ok by the host.

So what's your view on wearing outdoor shoes inside? Do you do it at home? Do you require that guests are taking their shoes off? How about if you are visiting somebody's home?

2. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I agree with everything the OP stated regarding this topic. I remove my shoes whenever entering somebody's home and expect them to do the same when entering mine. If they do not willingly remove them, then I ask them to. I think it is very disrespectful to walk around inside of somebody else's house with shoes on.

3. AAshooter

AAshooter

It depends on the culture. Largely in the US people wear shoes inside and out.

Asking people to remove their shoes is a little odd. Since most people don't think they will be required to remove their shoes, you run the risk of embarrassing your guests depending on the condition of the socks/feet. Socks with holes or aromatic feet make for awkward situations.

4. RDW

RDW BTDT

I agree. Especially with my Cream colored carpet.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  5. k9medic

k9medic

Never had an issue with it myself. Some people do it on their own, but I don't ask them to.

I did notice that this is very common up north. I chocked it up to habits from tracking in snow.

6. RustySocket

RustySocket

Most of the time we do... becasue it's typically wet and rainy the majority of the time.

I go with the flow at others homes if they take there's off I take mine off... if they don't I don't bother.

Most of my guests kind of simply follow suit as well. The pile of shoes by the door is a good clue on what to do. My MIL didn't get it and had to get educated by her daughter.

7. okie

okie GT Mayor

If they ask I tak'em off:supergrin:

8. Smashy

Smashy

No. I like dog poop and mud on my carpet.

9. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I dont remove unless asked or I know that they are muddy.

10. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

I think Okie says it best.

In the culture of the majority of folks in the USA, removal of shoes when entering a dwelling is not required. If you, therefore, require it, as a good host or hostess you should inform your visitors of the practice when they visit as a matter of courtesy, and, as a matter of courtesy, they should comply.

What you, or I, do in our own homes is our own business, and neither way is "better."

11. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I don't wait to be asked. I take them off. Sometimes they say not to, but I do anyway. BTW, if you visit me, take off your shoes when you come in.

12. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

No, we're not in Asia.

...unless the homeowner asks, or I know it is their preference, then it is no problem.

13. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Most people leave them on in America. But it is much more comfortable to take them off.

14. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

I only take off when asked, or if they're wet/ muddy I just do it so I won't make a mess of their floors. We never ask guest to take off shoes in our house, nothing a damp mop can't take care of.

15. spotco2

spotco2

First I've ever heard of this in this country.

Sure if I've been in mud I'll take them off before I walk in ANYONES door, but if I only walked from the truck to someones house I've never considered it.

I always thought that was what door mats were for....to wipe your shoes on before coming in.

16. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I don't like carpet. My house has wood floors. There's tile in the kitchen/dining room. Any mud sweeps up pretty easy.

There's an area rug in the living room that is a pain to keep clean. I kept threatening to sell it, but finally just moved it one foot over so people avoid walking on it.

17. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

Do you provide slippers for your visitors? Or do they walk around barefoot, or in their socks..

I'm not crazy about sharing slippers that someone else wore..

I'm also not crazy about dusting your floors with my socks..

Not any more than I'd want your bare feet all over my house..

Sorry.. but shoes stay on.. that's what vacuum cleaners are made for.. and if you don't like it, don't invite me..

:rofl:

18. woodsltc

woodsltc

I live in Tennessee..........we don't wear shoes !! Soooo no problem at all. :rofl:

19. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

The worst is when you're at a party in the winter and everyone has their shoes off except one asshat so you end up with wet socks. :steamed:

20. Gallium

Gallium CLM

It really depends on the area (of the house), if they have crawlers/toddlers, if the floors are rough hewn concrete vs parquet vs tile vs carpet.

Most houses around here are multi story, so I don't expect guests to take off their shoes on the main floor - or if we head to the basement (floor is concrete, and usually COLD), but the entire upstairs area except for bathrooms is carpeted. The only spaces upstairs are my office, our bedrooms, and the aforementioned bathrooms (also bathrooms on lower floors)...so anyone headed up to the 2nd floor is by invite, warrant or foreplay only.

'Drew