close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Take a look at this....Tell me what you think.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by chriztt, Mar 24, 2010.

1. chriztt

chriztt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do you think my rear sight is off? I have fired 230 rounds through this pistol and 99% of my shots hit about 4 to 5 inches left of center at about 8-10 yards. The rear sight looks off to me, but I thought I would ask here and see what you guys think.

On a side note. I have shot other Glock pistols (not my own) with the factory fixed sights and have been really accurate. My Glock had its factory sights replaced with TruDot night sights since day one.

How can I fix this?

2. bentbiker

bentbiker

3. ambluemax

ambluemax

Take it to a gunsmith and have them drift the sights for you. quick and easy, some may not even charge you.

4. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

Do you own a caliper? Check both sides. When in doubt, take gun to range with some tools to drift punch the rear sight to point of aim

5. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Only way for us to be sure is for you to post a picture of your target.

But your sight looks pretty well centered.

6. HK Dan

HK Dan

They look pretty close to me. That's off quite a bit to be a drift problem.

At 15 yards, if you took the front sight all the way to one side of the rear notch, you'd be off about that much. It's pretty significant in terms of deviation, and therefore my vote is that it's your trigger finger and your grip, not your sights, that need modifying.

Have an experienced GLOCKer shoot it. If not that, shoot it from a rest.

Dan

7. BBJones

BBJones

Agree with most of what has been said before.

-Shoot from a rest as slowly as needed being sure to keep a consistent point of aim @ 25 yards. Be sure to be pressing the trigger to the rear and not jerking it.
    -If you are still off to the left, you need to drift the rear sight to the "RIGHT". If you have never done this before, you should probably take it to a gunsmith.

Word of caution: hitting low and to the left is the most common miss caused by bad trigger control.

edited: Thanks G36's Rule for catching my bonehead mistake.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  8. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

It looks like it's off 1/64". :supergrin:

9. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

No.

If his pistol is really shooting to the left, he needs to drift the REAR SIGHT to the RIGHT.

10. BBJones

BBJones

Well I had 50% chance of getting it right and I still was wrong.:rofl:

I will edit my post.

11. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

My calibrated eyeball sez yes, it is off....very slightly. To be centered properly the sight needs to be moved slightly to the right. (not as in your pictures, but as you would view it from the rear)

12. GOA Guy

GOA Guy

No, it is not centered and if you do center it you still won't be on target. Being out of adjustment 4" to 5" at 8 to 10 yards is a bunch.

13. chriztt

chriztt

I'm sorry if I was not clear enough, but I said I was off about 4-5 inches left of center (meaning that it is an approximation or estimate). I did not save the target so it is a bit difficult to remember exactly. I exaggerated a bit to be on the safe side. If I would have said 1-2 inches everyones reply would have been basically the same: "Its your trigger control, practice dry firing". I also wrote in my original post that I have fired other Glocks and have never been so consistently inaccurate. Please do not take this the wrong way I am simply trying to better explain myself. Thanks for you input.

14. latech15

latech15

Quit jerking off.

I had the same issues shooting left consistently. Had an FBI agent who carries a glock for a living shoot it and he was driving tacks.

The only shot that you know you are on with is the one that really surprises you when it goes off. If you are off on that one, then the sights probably need moving.

Your sight does look slightly off to me but not enough to cause the amount missing that you are describing.

15. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

lol!!!

16. chriztt

chriztt

I agree with what you said. With most other pistols I have shot (especially with DOA triggers) letting the gun surprise you as it goes off yields the best results in accuracy. However, this has not been my experience with the pistol being discussed in this thread.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  17. tango44

tango44

Yes your rear sight is off!
    Take it to a Gunsmith to fix it.

18. sgt-spam

sgt-spam NRA Life Member

I had issues like this with my G26.

Took my sight tool to the range, along with a bag rest, and made some adjustments. I wasn't happy with how it turned out, though, as the off-centered rear sight bothered me.

I took some unscientific measurements of the position of the front sight and found it was slightly askew, which was contributing to my issue.

I removed the front, cleaned all surfaces, and re-installed it making sure that the sight was straight / parallel on the slide. After that, I centered the rear sight and went off to the range. If it's off, I can't tell, as most of my shots go where I want them to go. I'm now a happy camper.

My other Glocks have centered (or as close as I can manage) rear sights and all shoot great.

19. sciolist

sciolist

When I started shooting my G19, I shot consistently left (and generally down) to about the extent you describe. I'm still a noob, not saying you are... just making a point of reference.

Since then, I've started looking into this, and discovering reasons why I was shooting to the left, and I've made a lot of progress. So my point is that this could be due to lack of trigger control and proper visual fixation. The fact that you've shot other Glocks more accurately suggests otherwise, though.

Looking at your photos, it does appear that the rear sight is set slightly to the left of the slide (based on a plan view, with the gun pointed forward). The light is hitting the sight from an angle, but I could definitely believe the sight is off by between 1/32" and 1/16".

Just playing with this, let's assume 1/16" (actually appears to be less). Then let's assume you rotate the gun counter-clockwise to produce 1/32" of delta, to compensate in the sight picture. At 10 yards, that results in a shot placed approximately 3.75" to the left of center. So that idea is also in the right geometric ballpark.

Kind of interesting to noodle around with this.

20. chriztt

chriztt

Very interesting. Thanks for the insight. The next time I go to the range I'm going to see if I can get the gunsmith to drift the rear sight a tad to the right. I am sure I will see a difference. Thanks again.