Tactical vest--recommend one!!!!

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Dogbite, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

+1

Just go on youtube and do a search on Nutnfancy and tactical vest and you will get a lot of info on how join the mall ninja army.

here is one to start
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbZDH_haCzE

How much ammo do you want to carry. Are you in shape? Do you want to look tacticool or do you want to blend in? If you want to get a rig to load yourself down with 20lb of mags and crap and run around in the desert shooting stuff like Nutnfancy, be my guest. However when the SHTF how much ammo do you think you will need to carry around with you. I have an AR and a Glock 19, SHTF they are loaded and I carry an extra mag each in my pocket. That is 60 rounds of 5.56 and 30 rounds of 9mm. For basic walking around the house post SHTF do you need more? Even if I want to get frisky, I have an old army M16 ammo pouch and a double pistol mag pouch that I can hook on my belt. So that is a total of 4 mags of 5.56 which is 120 rounds and 45 rounds of 9mm total. Seriously beyond zombie hordes do you need more ammo. Also with this setup I can lay flat and still reload. Also most jackets can hold a few mags. If its chilly just put on a jacket, stick a few mags in your pockets and you are set.

Sure I could go all out and carry 210 rounds or more like I did in the Army, but remember each loaded AR mag weighs a pound, pistol mags are about the same. 7lb AR + 1.5lb Pistol + 7 AR mags + 3 Pistol mags + Cheap Tactical vest = over 20 pounds and that is not including food, water and other gear. Unless you are young and in good shape, you will be huffing and puffing when you need to run and move around, making shooting accurately difficult. You will also be a slow and easy target.

I'll be honest with you, I got a small 5.11 molle chest rig that I bought for $25. Its collecting dust, but if the world goes all Mad Max, I promise I will wear it to the Thunderdome.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
    fasteddie565 likes this.
  2. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Another option to that is the 5.11 tactical vest.

[​IMG]

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Outerwear/Vests/511-Tactical-Vest.html

Supposedly developed for the FBI, its basically a somewhat casual looking photography/fishing vest that is geared toward concealed carry and police work. It has a concealed carry holster built inside. It has two AR mag pouches with enough pockets to carry plenty more mags and stuff. Here is a vid review of a prison guard with his vest filled with tons o' crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibEYwFOIMc&feature=grec_index

Thanks for starting this thread. Originally I thought this vest would make a good dayhiking alternative instead of a backpack, since the two back pockets can each carry a 32oz water bottle. The only deal killer back then was the fact that it was only made of heavy 100% cotton canvas. Now I noticed they have a new lightweight 65% Poly/35% cotton blend version.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Outerwear/Vests/TacLite-Pro-Vest.html

That should be more lightweight and will dry quicker when wet. Now I might have to break down and get one. This way when I'm hiking I have something that can carry a "woods gun" concealed, and enough pockets for gear along with food and water for the day.

And if the SHTF I guess now I will have a proper vest. :rofl:

3. LawDog2006

LawDog2006

I've recently been looking at a vest too. Defnitely don't want the "tacticool SHTF I'm out of shape but this vest will see me thru" kind of deal. This would be for hiking, travel, photography and concealing my firearm in an OWB holster. I had almost purchased a Woolrich vest and the EOtac ones looked relaxed enough (but they're outta business and at 6'5'' with a 38" waist, the sizes are all gone), when I found this site http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/New_Travel_Vest.shtml

Although more pricey I think I'll be purchasing one here shortly as it really doesn't scream "I'm armed" or "I can protect this mall with my ninja skills." My only concern is that it might be too fitted, if anyone has one please let me know your thoughts.

4. bdcochran

bdcochran

google scottvest.com

Can you conceal a pistol check
    Can you conceal magazines check
    Does this unit have a lot of pockets check
    Are the closures and zippers of quality check

A vest, tactical or not, is just a piece of gear.

Real world - danger is usually at grappling distance.
    situational awareness obviates most dangers.
    quality of life is enhanced by having the simple things with you - pen, paper, handerchief, leatherman tool, small roll of toilet paper, change, knife when you knock about before shtf AND after shtf.

motorcycleman likes this.
  5. LawDog2006

LawDog2006

Well said bdcochran! +1

6. RatDrall

RatDrall

I love my scottevest jacket, but a tough piece of gear it is not. It has something like 30 pockets, but they are mostly for yuppy gear, not magazines and firearms which are quite a bit heavier and rougher on material than an ipod.

Seriously, people use a strong belt, holster (IWB or OWB) and a magazine carrier for a reason. 2-3 lbs dragging down on your shoulder will look funny (no jacket has the support built in for that) and be much less comfortable than the weight bearing on your hips.

fasteddie565 likes this.
  7. LawDog2006

LawDog2006

Rat - how has it held up without firarms and gear in it? Would you recommend it? I didn't mean to ask if it was good to hold the gun but more for concealment of a belt holster. Also for travel.

8. RatDrall

RatDrall

It works fine for concealment. I've had mine for a couple of years and it is a great jacket, I appreciate it most when flying and I want to have things handy. I've packed with full sized magazines, water bottles, etc. but the weight hangs funny on the shoulders, not to mention a water bottle in a pocket looks pretty stupid and gets in the way.

9. bhart89

bhart89

Depending on what you need a vest for I think a properly outfitted battle belt is just as useful. I have a pistol, knife, 2 AR mags, 2 Pistol mags, nalgene bottle and FAK on mine.

And it can all be covered with a tshirt except the bottom of the pistol holster and knife.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  10. LawDog2006

LawDog2006

Outfitted battle belt??? What do you need 2 AR mags and a nalgene bottle on there for? I'm talking normal real world ccw blending in. FAK??? Focal Adhesion Kinase?

11. RyanBrandon

RyanBrandon

I have UTG 547 Law Enforcement Tactical Vest and it is one of the best vest on the market .This tactical vest weighs 4.5 pounds and it really is a law enforcement standard vest in terms of its use. It’s durable and adjustable, but the way in which the pouches are designed and positioned makes it easy for trained officials to switch up their shells and magazines very quickly.
    The material made to construct the mesh is thick and sturdy, forming part of an overall tough, heavy-duty tactical vest
    The left side of the collarbone region features a pocket which can house a walkie-talkie
    Nice variation in what you can fit – either a P2220 (or M1911/Glock 17) or a couple of extra mags if you rather want to house six rifle mags
    Lots of space in a total of seven pockets which can effectively be reconfigured to store a range of items

12. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

Gents, let me throw this at you. If you need quick on and off for a knock about or for work, this is an option. I have worn this rig all day with just a 5.11 shirt over it. The shirt offers a few pockets and this holds all of the ammo I need. Call Tom @ 2aholster.com.

20150612_211129.jpg 20150612_211401.jpg 20150612_211105 (1).jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  13. quake

quake Millennium Member

[​IMG]
    Why does that center magazine hang down below that way? Is the bottom not closed on the pistol mag pouches..?

14. fasteddie565

The black backing comes down and is then flipped up to retain the mag. Its like a shelf that the mags rest on. If you look closely, the front mag will go equally as far down, if pushed further into the pouch. This is good kit.

15. quake

quake Millennium Member

Thank. I didnt see that.

16. wiskeyVI

wiskeyVI

I like that, but my back hurts with just a belt and what i carry in my pockets....

17. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

I have a Cabela's safari vest which I often wear out and about while hiking, on vacation and when I am teaching rifle classes. It is convenient in that it has a dozen pockets, can carry a ton of stuff including lots of mags. Looks pretty casual, though I've sewn velco on it in order to stick various kinds of patches (instructor etc) on it.

On the other hand if SHTF I would pretty much want a plate carrier set up with pouches to carry mags and a FAK.

fasteddie565 likes this.
  18. fasteddie565

Its not really that heavy and kinda offsets the weight of a regular sized pistol.