Tactical to Practical

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by MSW, Oct 18, 2015.

1. MSW

MSW

Well, not really tactical to practical - more of Practical (duck hunting) to Practical (skeet shooting) but the Tactical to Practical seemed like a better topic.

I have a Benelli SBE (Super Black Eagle) 28" semi auto shotgun. It is a low flying duck killer. I also have a 28" Remington Model 11-87.

I'm looking for an aftermarket screw in choke tubes for both of these guns. Ideally, I'd like the kind that I see my guys using at the range (the kind that you don't need a wrench to change).

I have a beautiful name brand over and under 12 gauge dedicated Skeet gun but I actually prefer using my duck guns to shoot skeet, it also sort of freaks the elistist skeet shooters out when you're shooting your Wal-Mart bought Model 11-87 and busting in 20+ skeet. when their shooting their custom Krieghoff or Hubertus shotguns.

Any closet skeet shooters on this forum?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

The commonly used words to describe competition and hunting uses of firearms by the BATF is called "sporting".

"Tactical" is actually using a firearm in an offensive or defensive application against other humans.

"Practical" is the outfitting of firearms for action competition and slides between the two sometimes.

Don't have an O/U, but I have some shotguns set up for the clay sports and hunting. I enjoy taking my 3Gun M2 to the Sporting Clays field. A group of us shot 5 stand loading from our chest rigs a few times. I find as long as you are respectful and let them know what you are doing, the sporting shotgun shooters do not mind much.

3. MSW

MSW

Well, I'm guessing you would approve of skeet shooting with my Benelli M4.

Points well, almost no kick with low brass skeet loads. Not sure what the choke is but standing at the 1st station and the 2nd station,I was 4/4.

Couple of the elite 0/U guys tried it and loved it.

4. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I competed regularly in Registered Skeet for a good ten years and now shoot Registered Sporting Clays. I was AA in all gauges in skeet except .410 and I was A class in .410...

You will need to do a little better to be competitive in skeet than an 80% average. My twelve gauge average was over 98% and while I was competitive I was far from a top shooter.
    Besides, when you shoot skeet you need to be able to shoot all 4 gauges...12,20,28 and .410 So most skeet shooters shoot O/U guns with tubes for the sub gauges.

There are a TON of aftermarket chokes out there but one thing I can tell you from experience is the Benelli Cryo chokes are VERY good and you will look hard and long before you find an aftermarket that will out-pattern the factory chokes.

But if you want an extended choke tube I'd tell you to start with a couple of companies:

Briley, Pure Gold, Seminole, Trulock, all seem to have great following. I shoot Extreme Titanium in my Krieghoff for several reasons. First, they make the OEM titanium chokes for Krieghoff but secondly I like titanium chokes because they do not loosen over time and you don't have the same issues in terms of have to constantly re-tighten them like you do with steel. I've been told this is because there is a temperature differential when then gun heats up between the titanium and the steel and when you have steel chokes in a steel barrel the even heating causes them to loosen. Don't know. All I know is they work, titanium doesn't build up plastic wad material like steel will and they don't come loose. Yes...they cost a bunch more.

5. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

I got laughed off the range with a converted Saiga 12. It was one helluva clay buster.

6. MSW

MSW

Bird, thanks.

I've gone 25 straight with my BSBE twice shooting with stock choke tube.

Mostly I get to the 8th station and choke. It's in my head, not the gun.

I checked Brownell's and found the chokes you recommended.

I'm going to order one of those chokes and see if it helps.

I'm better with my O/U on a regular basis but I really like shooting the black shotgun.

I'll give you a report. Thanks.

7. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

If it is fit to you, sure. While I have no data for it, I would bet that people with 95% and better percentages in the clay sports have purpose built, and well fit guns. But, at least from what I see on the lines, the vast majority have shotguns that are not properly fit and breaking more than 85% is an accident.

8. MSW

MSW

Thanks.

My Weatherby O/U was fitted by a stock guy who lived in Houston who Grits Gresham (Google him if that name doesn't ring a bell) wrote about in one of his columns. Gresham was a friend of my deceased father's from their journalism days . My gun fits great. I had the stock work than 20 years ago.

The gun was then throated at Briley and had it chokes done at Briley. This work was done on the recommendation of Mr. Gresham.

Great gun, shoots fine, beautiful to look at. It is an Older Weatherby O/U skeet gun what I picked up in Germany many years ago.

I'm never going to spend the time to be a super competitive skeet or sporting clay shooter but I do love to do both.

One day I'm going to buy myself a fancy skeet shooting vest to match my fancy skeet shooting gun.

But . . . there is just something about showing up at skeet range with an ugly Benelli semiauto Duck gun, putting the shells in my jeans pocket, or carrying the box with me (this really drives folks nuts) and running the table of a bunch of guys with $5,000.00+ guns. Too bad my club has a very strict rule about gambling.

I might rethink the extended choke tube idea. Might be better for everyone not to know what kind of Choke I have.

In all seriousness, thanks for the suggestion, I've ordered a choke tube from Brownell's and I look forward to trying it out.

9. Decguns

Decguns

I used to love shooting trap & skeet on base with my Mossberg 590. Quite the clay buster. I used to love shooting wobble trap with a bayonet on the 590. Guys would set aside their $10k custom O/Us to shoot it.

MSW likes this.
  10. MSW

MSW

Decguns,

You should try shooting skeet with a short Mossy with birdshead stock. It will turn some heads.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015