Tactical reload versus speed reload

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by theTactician, Jul 7, 2007.

1. huntthehunter

huntthehunter

pretty new here, but a couple of interesting observations. Well, interesting to me, YMMV.

I practice both types of reloads, but would guess that in reality would likely shoot to slide lock, dump the empty and get on with it (if not overly perforated.) If able to take cover, would probably do a "tactical" reload to top off.

I read a couple of posts about FOF versus SD scenarios. It seems that any self defense scenario requiring a gun is a force-on-force scenario.

Different schools/instructors teach different methods, and different people have different opinions. I try to learn as many things as possible, because I cannot predict what will happen should I need to use my pistol in self defense.

2. Allegra

Allegra

Good post!
    Regarding the Speed reload , do you know of any documented gunfight between civilians where a speed reload saved the day?
    I'm still trying to find one

3. ilocano

ilocano Down Under.

A couple of years back, i figured myself too close to a shooting match ( in one iskinita in San Andres Bukid :)). And guess what, I was so scared like hell.. makes me wonder- if **** hit the fan that time would my limited skills in IPSC saved me? Maybe.. I got down from my car with just my pistol, things happened so fast I didnt have a chance to pick up a spare mag. Tactical or speed? if youre lucky to even have the time to think about it while youre at "it" then that could make a whole lot of difference i guess. Or maybe not.

4. low profile

low profile

Meron akong alam na shooter na natalo at namatay. pero alam ko eh ang kalaban niya sarili niya. (suicide)

condolence to the person if you know.

5. windplex

windplex

Well Allegro, please come back when you learn to speak english:) We don't have a clue as to what you said and it is not cool to speak in code it is just plain sad.

6. Allegra

Allegra

If you scroll down a little bit more , you'd find out I wwas replying to a different person ( who speaks the same code :)) about a slightly different topic

7. windplex

windplex

I compete in both IPSIC/USPSA and IDPA so that I get practice in both kinds of mag changes. I plan to compete in the limited 10 category of uspsa to get my number of mag changes way up.

I do believe one should be proficient in both tactical and speed reloads. Absolutly nothing beats muscle memory!

I also shoot a regular glock, g23 now that it arrived rather than a "race gun" so I am practicing with my real weapon and not a space gun.

I do however fully understand that it is a game and do understand the gamer's point of view and why the go that way. Had a chance to try it and boy is it nice to shoot gamer 9mm loads out of a G34 with a super trigger! I shot like a pro that day! But the penetration would have been more like a 380 in my estimation or less. But it was satisfying so I do understand gaming it too and no hard feelings to the gamers of the competitions.

Did the same when I club raced my cars. Raced them stock. Learned how to drive them. By the way highly reccomend it.

8. theTactician

theTactician

besides being tactical in a real gunfight, we always have to bear in mind that we have to shoot and shoot until there is no more threat. its not overkill but its just to make sure that the threat is neutralized.

9. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

it's great there's none yet, and hopefully there won't be any... in true to life story, there are a lot of cops died in the line of duty, mostly not in a man to man duel. :sad: that is why we need to practice our guns with tactics and skill. i %101 agree with you that hitting your target/targets is the foremost important in gun handling, and nobody would definitely disagree on that but on gun self defense survival is the foremost important. yet the thread was a query about reloading, tactical or speed reload? reloading is just one of the aspects that is needed to learn and practice in gun self defense. take note "gun self defense" not IPSC and IDPA match, which on the other hand you can apply what you have practiced and to develop your skills under pressure.

10. theTactician

theTactician

as erik lawrence would put it, "practice like youre training hard to fight".
    i believe that the only advantage of tactical reload over speed reload is that you get to save some ammo while utilizing cover.

11. New_comer

New_comer

The best, and perhaps, the only way you can simulate which is the better of the two is a gunfight in a "virtual" world... ;)

I 'died' plenty of times while I reloaded at the wrong place at the wrong time. But I 'survived' a lot of confrontations by switching to another weapon instead of reloading when the gun emptied. Also, topping off my gun during a lull seems to help outgun an opponent, when you do need firepower.

Nothing beats a continued onslaught, IMO. Lose this edge, lose your life. A reload at the wrong time usually isn't good for your 'health'.

How this would work in the real world, your guess is as good as mine.

:supergrin:

12. charlie-xray

charlie-xray Gunpowder Adik

Especially when I tried to spray and pray the BG with my M4 Carbine instead of tactically shooting them one bullet one kill, then don't pick up extra mags for it or even extra mags for my Desert Eagle then I'm dead in the later stage of it no ammo left. Whilst my sniper rifle is pretty useless in close quarters and with BG sparying me with AK's
    excerpt from Shadow Ops Red Mercury PC Games :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

13. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

14. New_comer

New_comer

Here's a real life shootout where tactical reloading may not have been of any value. Your opponent has the chance to outflank you in a lull if you're not paying attention:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~```
    1986 Miami shootout

Immediately after being forced off the road, Platt began firing the Mini-14 from the car, while Matix fired a single round from the shotgun. Matix was soon hit twice by the agents, and he was apparently knocked unconscious. He fired no more shots throughout the battle. Platt, however, had already injured two agents with the rifle.

Platt climbed out a car window, and was soon hit several times, yet he continued fighting, now firing a revolver. He also continued to use the rifle, despite injuries to his right hand and arm, and caused agents more injuries, including a shot to the neck.

Military-trained, Platt aggressively advanced on Grogan and Dove's car, which they (so far uninjured) were using for cover. Reaching their position, he continued firing the rifle. Platt killed Grogan with a shot to the chest, shot another agent in the groin, and then killed Dove with two shots to the head. Platt himself had been hit six times at this point.

Platt entered Grogan and Dove's car, apparently attempting escape. He was joined by Matix, who had regained consciousness and crawled unseen to Platt's position.

The fight was ended by agent Edmundo Mireles, who, despite having been hit in the arm by Platt's opening shots, returned fire with his shotgun one-handed, then stood up and advanced directly towards the car, shooting six rounds of .38 Special from his revolver, hitting Matix three times and Platt twice. Both were finally killed.

Toxicology tests showed that the astounding abilities of Platt and Matix to fight through multiple traumatic gun shot wounds and continue to battle and attempt to escape were not achieved through any chemical means. Both of their bodies were completely drug- and alcohol-free at the time of their deaths.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I mentioned kanina, it's possible that only a direct and continued onslaught can finish a fight. Hide and you lose advantage.

Hitting what you aim at obviously helps a lot. :supergrin:

15. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

...and having many guns.

a whole lot better than reloads.

16. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

Ang taray :supergrin:

What is the english of "taray"?

Back to topic!

17. JBJ16

JBJ16

cops run towards it.

Oowwwws! But cops,(especially here in Metro Manila) do not always "run towards" trouble. I remember then the 15 man bank robbery crew armed with M16s and M14s operating in the Metro. Not a single cop run would respond and engage "towards" the bank vicinity. He he he! Thats where the "ma gulang" part is exercised prudently, I suppose! Peace man!:tongueout:

18. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

you tell me if you're the good and honest cop, would you fight alone a group of 15 armed men with m16's and m14's? considering also you have a partner, do you think the two of you would be enough to engage the robbers? what are your options? there are a lot of factors to consider too why the police late in responding the calls, one thing is the robbery itself are well planned. there are even incidents that a well planned robbery only took less than a minute to accomplish. and usually mobiles that responded in time were being ambushed on it's way to the site and took the lives of its crew. please try to consider our comrades who died in the line of duty, it's not a joke. i must admit that there are scalawag cops, yet our job is not a joke.

19. saki1611

saki1611 BOG's #1611

exactly! why need a reload if you have many guns! :thumbsup: both the police and perpetrators did not only use one gun...

20. jerrytrini

jerrytrini

When you feel you are outgunned, outnumbered, then re-assess, re-think, re-group.