close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tactical Question during a break-in (Serious Q & Poll)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Peace Warrior, May 25, 2012.

1. Definitely yes. Warn the intruder(s) you have a gun.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Definitely no. Say nothing and let the chips fall where they may on this event.gun.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Shout something else, such as "I have 911 on the line."

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Say nothing, call 911, and rest asurred the Police are merely minutes away.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Hypothetical Background Info: It is 3:30 AM and you're asleep in bed. Your spouse nudges you and says, "I hear something out back." You grab your weapon, which for this scenario is loaded and ready to go once the safety is disengaged.

The noises make you aware that someone is opening the screen door. It is coming from the back yard, the back door, and now you hear someone trying to make their way into the house.

Poll: From a tactical standpoint, should you begin shouting, "I have a gun."

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  2. Winds-of-change

Winds-of-change

No. I would stay put and see if he crosses the doorway of my bedroom. That's when I would confront. I don't think it's a good idea to announce you have a gun and I also don't think it's a good idea to go prowling through the house looking for the Bad Guy.

3. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

No I would not announce. Due to my house layout, once he enters my kitchen I am opening fire. It is only two rooms before he reaches my kids' bedroom and three before getting to mine. Plus this keeps my kids/wife behind me at all times.

4. Peace Warrior

Thanks. Please take part in the poll. :wavey:

I read something recently and am really interested to find out how and what people think on this one.

5. Peace Warrior

Please take part in the poll.

Thank you! Good idea: Everyone use your own current domicile's lay out to help you make a decision as well.

6. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Done. If I didn't have any kids at home, I would probably still "meet" him in the kitchen, because any wayward stray shots would still have to pass through a few walls before getting to my neighbor's house. From my bedroom I have too many windows facing the front of the house to worry with at the angle needed at my doorway.

7. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

IMO, the minute you say anything, he is going to run off. If he is not yet in the house, I wouldn't necessarily shout about 911, but I think I would shout "HEY"!!! at the top of my lungs. That will probably be enough to scare him off.

There is no sense in letting him come in just so you can shoot him. Who needs the hassle? Well, I guess people who need a kill under their belt are willing to deal with the hassle.

8. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

You make a good point, if you can hear them trying to gain entrance, pop a light on or yell, just make sure you have the phone dialed and a gun in your hand.

The last thing I ever want to do it shoot someone, but it will always come down to them getting hurt before my family.

9. CLena88

CLena88

Considering the type of people who have been performing break ins in my area, namely armed meth heads (really, I live in a fairly nice neighborhood, but a 1/4 mile away is a more run down one that has had 11 meth labs busted in the last 6 months), and that I live alone, I'm staying shut up, in my room, with 911 on the phone and gun in hand, I'll confront when they get to my room.

10. Peace Warrior

(Emphasis mine)

This is precisely one of the quandaries.

I do NOT want to kill anyone. I also do NOT want to give up a presumed tactical advantage WHILE I AM INSIDE MY OWN HOME.

What IF the person trying to break in has help on the front side of the house, maybe already in my home, and I have been so intent on what I'm hearing out back that I never notice the second intruder?

This is not a poll or question based on morals, or lack thereof, but I'm speaking purely from a tactical standpoint.

Is it better to shout I have a gun, say nothing, say something like "I've called 911, or HEY, which I wish I had thought of your option before posting this poll. :embarassed:

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  11. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

While you do have a point, if they happen to be armed you may inadvertently draw fire. Not something you need to contend with. In a break in we don't know all the variables, best bet is stay put (as noted earlier), call 911 and prepare to repel boarders should they breech your room.

12. devildog2067

devildog2067

I would announce, not that I have a gun, but yell something.

The chances that it's a friend to whom I've given the key are far larger than the chances that it's someone breaking in (although I haven't given my keys to any idiots who would show up unannounced in the middle of the night, to be fair).

If I yell and they say "Hey, it's me" or turn tail and run, either of those are far better outcomes than me having to shoot someone, and are well worth the "tactical disadvantage." I still hold most of the cards as long as I sit tight.

13. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

Of course, that's a possibility, but this is a made up scenario, and I took it at face value.

Add this to your scenario: the dogs are goings nuts. That pretty much ends the scenario because the guy isn't going to try to break in.

My niece had an attempted break in once. I have instructor certification, and they were putting scenarios to me revolving around that incident. I told them if the intruder was in the house you have no choice but to open fire because you don't know how many there are, and you have to eliminate the threat, and prepare for another. He asked if he could 'take them into custody'. You can, but why would you? You don't have the training, you don't have backup. While you are attempting to hold one guy, his partner sneaks up behind you and puts a bullet behind your ear. If you don't think you can shoot, build a safe room.

I took your scenario as presented. Now you want to throw in other players.

14. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

If he is not "in the house" as I mentioned in my post, how is he going to return fire? If he is outside, and you shout from somewhere inside, in the dark, preferably behind cover, or even from another room (he is breaking in the kitchen, and you are in the great room) what is he going to shoot at? He is going to run.

Let's face is. Some of us want to get a kill, some of us don't. Those of us who don't, can still be driven to kill in a split second, but killing is still a last resort.

15. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

Since we are adding players as we go, let's add this one:

You don't realize it is your teenage son coming in after curfew or drunk and didn't want to wake you up.

16. CLena88

CLena88

In that scenario I wonder what the Hell just happened, I don;t remember having a son at the age of ten :tongueout:

17. Lonestar 48

Lonestar 48 Silver Member

I think this is what I would do; maybe yell STOP and flip on the light. I have wood floors and I don't know if blood comes out of them very easily, so hopefully the guy would turn tail and run.

18. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

But in the scenario, the OP neglected to mention that he had counted his teenage children, and his oldest son, who had borrowed the car that night to go out with his lacrosse team, hadn't gotten home yet.

19. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

I don't mean to nitpick, but the light isn't a good idea. Then you are in the light looking into the dark, and he is in the dark looking into the light. You just woke up and light doesn't generally go well when you get jostled from bed in the middle of the night.

20. CLena88

CLena88

And then murdered the whole lacrosse team? Oh dear, that won't sit well