Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need a new pair of boots. General range/training use and hiking. So many to choose from, my head is spinning.

·
Millenium #3936
6,572 Posts
wellco

·
Anti-Federalist
23,468 Posts
My feet like Danner. I prefer boots that I can have resoled.

I've got a pair of Acadia's, RATs, and the Mountain Lite Hiker II.

All of them have been fantastic however the soles on the RATs tend to wear as they are relatively soft soled. Very comfortable.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Currently in Merrel Moab hikers, been wearing them daily for about 6 months on concrete and like them but they're a bit hot. I bought a pair of Danner RAT boots and loved them for the month I had them before the heel cup broke on both boots. Danner wouldn't warranty them because I bought them new in box) from eBay.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Another vote for the Merrel Moab. I worked in Afghanistan for a number of years as a contractor. I would go thorough a pair of boots every 6 to 9 months until I got the Merrel's. The rocks over there ate up the soles.

·
Registered
13,611 Posts
Cowboy1964: You are so lucky. I take a wide boot, not many options. I bought a pair of Keen boots earlier this year. Great. Not leather. Wears like up graded tennis shoe.

You got me to research. I have a pair of Raichle Swiss mountain climbing boots that I bought in Switzerland in 1979 or 1980. Leather. Still going strong. My feet widened a bit. Raichle is not markedtd under the parent company name Mammut. I will go to REI tomorrow to test a pair of the current boots. I don't want to wear thin socks so that I can still fit in the old boots.

·
Ham Salad
124 Posts
Another vote for the Merrel Moab. I worked in Afghanistan for a number of years as a contractor. I would go thorough a pair of boots every 6 to 9 months until I got the Merrel's. The rocks over there ate up the soles.
Yet another vote for the Moab's, great boots. Also if you are looking for something a little more low key Vasque Sun downers are a fantastic boot. I cant say how many hundreds of miles I've put on those boots but a little polish and a brush and they still look and wear great.

·
Registered
119 Posts
How many versions of the Moab do they make? I saw at least three or four.
There are at least four. Regular Moab nearing a 6" top, Moab low (sneaker type), then the Ventilator version of each.
My feet tend to get hot easily so I bought the 6"-ish Ventilator, which I still find a bit hot. I'm in a machine shop environment and they're holding up very well.
I'd also like to try some Keen boots. I like the toe box shape that most of them use, spent my youth in western boots with narrow toes but can't stand that now.

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm liking the Moab Rover. My main concerns are comfort, durability, weight, and ankle support. I think this would fill the bill.

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nutnfancy has a good series on hiking/backpacking boots. Learned a lot.

·
Registered
13,611 Posts
Cowboy1964 made a good recommendation of where to start in a person's search.

In our all perfect world, buying boots is frustrating. The comments made in Nutnfancy's first video are as true as they were in 2008 when the video was shot.

I don't have the money for custom boots (the best option).

I will relate what I do and why.

Fox River is a maker of socks. The product is on eBay. It is not the equivalent of going to Costco and buying socks or doing the same shopping at JCPennys. The Fox River socks are made for specific applications. You might be wearing a hiking sneaker in an area where the temperature never gets below 70 degrees, or you might be wearing a pair of ski boots. You match the sock type to the shoe,tennis shoe, work boot or hiking boot that you buy.

In my situation, I am frugal. I store a specific sock type with a specific boot or shoe and then make a note of which sock is appropriate.

Question: How are you able to wear a boot that is 35 years old when the boot has shrunk and your foot has grown?
Hint: You might consider changing the sock system. Another hint. You study the recommendations of how to maintain your boots.

I do buy sneakers and boots from Goodwill by internet auction.
1. the prices are so cheap that it beats buying new by internet and shipping shoes back.
2. many soldiers buy boots and barely wear them before finding a boot that is appropriate. So, you can get new without paying retail.
3. A number of errors in sizing can be adjusted by the sock system.
4. If the shoe or boot is totally unacceptable, it can be donated back and a deduction taken.

I also shop the sales at Sears (of all places, who would have guessed?), Red Wing, REI, A16

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up going with the Vasque Breeze GTX 2.0. I had a hard time finding the perfect fit, glad I bought locally instead of online. I really like the low lace hook that allows cinching up tighter, makes a big difference in fitment, even in mid-heights. I'm surprised more boots don't have those.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nutnfancy cautioned about EVA insoles and says to stay away from them but the problem is 90% of boots use that now.
That was my first Nutnfancy video back in the day and I've held that opinion of EVA ever since. I'm not sure how true it is, but it always made sense to me.

·
Semper Paratus
28,971 Posts
O boz for what you described

Reactions: Just_plinking

·
Registered
32,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The new Vasque boots fit really well but my left arch needs more support. Anyone have any recommendations?

·
Ham Salad
124 Posts
The new Vasque boots fit really well but my left arch needs more support. Anyone have any recommendations?
Get some SuperFeet insoles. I have them for my hikers, my daily casual shoes and even in my dress shoes. They make a huge difference in comfort and posture.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts