close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

tactical courses for civilians

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by theTactician, Feb 15, 2006.

1. theTactician

theTactician

guys, you know any tactical courses offered by the military, swat, designed for civilians in the philippines? i've heard that armscor offers some tactical courses. i almost attended one but im not sure though if there are really courses like that intended for civilians who wanted to learn and improve their shooting skills and tactical strategies. any suggestions?
    here in the u.s. there are a lot of these tac courses.

2. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

3. casmot

casmot Re membered

I think, Armscor were conducting seminars before for IDPA. But I maybe wrong.

4. i_am_infinity

i_am_infinity Pang Altar

I think ung store ng surefire sa MCS one of the guys there offer training courses...i forgot his name basta malaki katawan and maliit in height...i just overheard him talking to some people when i went there last year...

5. Allegra

Allegra

Try airsoft , they always claim they have the tactics down

6. Benj

Benj

Check out the forums at www.filairsoft.com

There are some users there offering CQB and other tactics courses. Don't know how legitimate they are though.

7. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Pio, you have a new sideline? ;f

8. Kiddo

Kiddo

I dont think that there are formal ala Gunsite schools here in the PH. Aside from LE/military experience, most of the other guys just get their tactics from reading up.

9. theTactician

theTactician

hehehe..yes, airsoft, i've played many times na po diyan sa pinas. i've joined easy company in several occasions. hehehe, well, it was fun..i mean really fun. i have an mp5 as a primary weapon but then i eventually got tired playing...maybe someday, babalik ako kase enjoy talaga. we play at army adventure sa may c5, minsan sa p.u.p, sa may pacific mall, etc..and ang daming wargames site. i love the feel of pellet hitting me...hehehe, masochistic ba? and then seeing that welt, that red bruise on my chest, legs and arms. i love playing with just a t-shirt, a tactical vest, of course, a mask covering my eyes and a neoprene protection for my nose and lips and a bullcap hat. i also, wear maong. hehe..ala f.b.i. but sometimes i wear the complete b.d.u. plus the vest and the mask. i mean, everybody should wear a mask. they will never allow you to play without the mask and the goggles. its cool. i love airsoft. im planning to buy the steyr aug next time or the ak spetsnaz. ipon muna ko then i'll rejoin my team.

10. Alamat

Alamat

input lang...

i knew some friends in the local ipsc shooting who teaches lawmen (police) in this kind of stuffs. ala idpa, ipsc, precision/accuracy styles. so i guess what they teaches are techniques a shooter will learn if he/she regularly join competitions. ika nga over the years of joining competitions you accumulate knowledge and styles which you eventually adopt to your own for both defensive and competitive...

siguro the most that a civilian can train for a "tactical" training would be idpa shooting. i've experienced once in armscor and it was really exciting and enlighting. simulating real world shooting scenarios etc... kakatawa lang kasi lagi kong namimistaken yun sa ipsc kaya in engaging courses marami akong kapalpakan hehehe...

11. rhino465

rhino465

Assuming it's legal for you guys to do such things, it might be worth it for you get a group together and sponsor a few guys to come to the USA to take some classes. Then they could come home and teach the rest of the group what they learned.

Or maybe on the American cousins who visits the homeland occasionally could teach a group the next time they visit?

As far as IPSC and IDPA go, they're great for practicing and and evaluating shooting skills, but the so-called "tactical" training is a little different. The mechanics of the shooting are the same (or perhaps similar, but more primitive in some cases), but they also offer instruction in mindset and tactics.

It's called the "triad" of tactical/combat shooting:

1. Mindset
    2. Tactics
    3. Marksmanship and Gun Handling

While it's possible to work on all of those in IDPA or IPSC, the fact that it's a competition can introduce elements that will distract you from the focus on the defensive skills.

The knee-jerk phrase on the web forums is "IDPA isn't training!," and in the sense of "training" = all-inclusive instruction and preparation, it's true. IDPA and IPSC can be, however, a very valuable training tool in an overall scheme. You just have to keep in mind what you're doing and what your goals are.

12. bulm540

bulm540

13. Alamat

Alamat

14. jasonub

jasonub

mall ninja???;f

15. Allegra

Allegra

dumadami nga eh :)

16. rhino465

rhino465

I surpassed the status of "mall ninja" a long time ago. I'm now a low-speed, high-drag chairborne ranger! We're the elite of the elite keyboard commandos! ;f

BTW ... I've been to a few classes here and there in both pistol and carbine. If any of you guys are ever in Indiana and want to get together to visit and share some of the things I've learned, just let me know.

I've learned some things in carbine classes that you only learn the hard way when shooting in matches. One of those is accounting for the offset between the boreline and the line of sight at close ranges. It doesn't matter where you zero your iron sights on an AR (or similar rifle), because under 15 yards you have to account for that difference and aim higher than you think you need to aim. It takes a while to get the feel for it at different distances. It's not an issue for COM hits, but for upper A zones (heads), it can be a big issue, especially if there is a no-shoot directly below the target's head. Many people shoot matches for years and never realize why they hit too low at close distances, since intuition tells you that you should hit higher the closer you are.

Another thing is that I learned to hold the mag well with my support hand instead of gripping the hand guard in a more traditional rifleman's hold. The reason I do it is because all of my guns are short (short gas systems) and light, which means they move more than a longer, heavier rifle with a full-length gas system. Holding at the mag well and pulling into my shoulder helps me minimize the movement for faster follow-up shots. Since we sometimes shoot three shots per target in our local 3-gun matches, it's pretty handy. The tradeoff is that some people feel you can steer the gun faster (for target transitions) with your support hand as far down the hand guard as you can reach. You have to decide which is best for you. A vertical fore grip can give you the best of both, though.

Some other things I (personally) learned in defense-oriented classes that I might not have learned (at least not quickly) in matches:

* reloads that retain a partially spent magazine (sometimes useful)
    * quick kneeling positions (as opposed to braced kneeling)
    * several prone/supine positions for different applications
    * transitions from the long gun to sidearm and vice versa
    * how to remedy common malfunction efficiently
    * etc.

17. bulm540

bulm540

Rhino, are you attending the 3 gun match here in TN. I am scheduled to go to ALabama that weekend but if the Alabama match is cancelled I will be attanding tha 3 gun match.

18. i_am_infinity

i_am_infinity Pang Altar

i just happened to hear it by accident ;f ;f

19. rhino465

rhino465

Hey, Cousin BM40 ...

I don't have it on my calendar, but it's a possibility. I've heard that it may be a little too physical for me, so that's why I've not been more aggressive in making it happen. I hear it's a great match, though.