Tactical Bolt Rifle vs. Hunting Bolt Rifle

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Short Cut, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Why do you own one or the other, or both? What do you see as the advantages/disadvantages. Certainly there could be some overlap of use, but why would it be better to have the fork for forking and the spoon for spooning?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TerdSlayer

TerdSlayer

I have a Savage FP10 in .308 , When your sitting at a bench shooting it you have a pleasant to shoot comfortable rifle .... Take it into the woods and its weight now makes it uncomfortable to carry for any distance..

3. Short Cut

I wouldn't call a .308 hunting rifle uncomfortable to shoot at the bench. Maybe it would be better to have the hunting rifle as it would be better for the field and competent from the bench as well?

4. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Mechanically they are the same thing, just different aesthetics.

Both will do the job of either, if your Mr. Mallninja you will want the Tactical looking bolt gun.

5. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

Good answer.

hog

6. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

First you have to qualify what you mean by both terms. Some folks will say a .308 with a 10x scope and 10 pounds is the perfect tactical rifle. Okay, I could hunt with that if I had to.

I elk hunt from 5,000 to 10,000 feet in elevations and a variety of weather. My :Hunting" rifles is a .338-06 Ultralight with a 3x9 Burris is good from 5-550 yards (shot an elk at 10 yards this year and 505 yards last year). A 10x .308, no way. First, does not have the RELIABLE energy out to 500 yards, maybe about 300 or so, for a 1200 pound bull elk. Climbing rock faces with a 6 pound rig total vs. a 12 pound rig total is a big difference. It shoots 3/8" at 100 yards with hunting ammo (yes, it is a freak). I went to the .338-06 from a .30-06 to stratch the range from 400 yards to the 550.

My "Tactical" rifle is a Rem 700 blueprinted in an AI chassis. .260 Rem with a 4.5-14 scope. I can hit 6" plates with no wind at 900 yards (so far). But at 14 pounds and supressed, no way I would take it elk hunting. For deer and antelope over a field, maybe.

My "purposes" and budget have allowed me to spread the spectrum and become more specialized for certain tasks.

My next build is a .340 Weatherby for elk at 500-900 yards since the .338-06 drops below my self-imposed energy limits at about 550. But I won't carry it for routine elk hunting, just setting up in a blind for a few specific areas I have scoped out.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  7. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

i prefer the heavier rifles as they tend to be more accurate and lighter recoil. when you carry a gun all day, any rifle will seem heavy after awhile but ill take the heavier one everytime as i can shoot it better. i currently have a M1A scout that is my go to rifle. its around 10lbs or so with no optics and a polymer stock. its all what youre used to i guess.

for a shtf rifle, id want the most robust rifle that will last for a long time. if its too heavy, maybe part of prepping should be working out more?

8. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

I have rifles in both, and think the term "tactical" is badly overhyped. I recommend getting the style, caliber, type of rifle you want that best fits your needs.

9. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

Well, the main advantages I see are that you can pay a lot more for the 'tactical' version and have a much heavier rifle to lug around the wilderness!

10. dosei

dosei

Most of the deer hunting I've done involves a little walking and a LOT of sitting. So I favor the accuracy and smoother swing of a bolt rifle with a heavy barrel. I also feel the heavy barrel is an advantage when walking alot...a heavier rifle is easier to hold on a stationary target and tracks smoother on moving targets when your heart is pounding after walking for miles. I personal enjoy a 10-12 lb rifle when hunting.

11. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

If what you're hunting shoots back, it's a tactical rifle. If the target doesn't shoot back, it's a hunting rifle. Other than that One major difference, I can't tell there is any.

12. SHG21

SHG21

functionally they are pretty similar if not identical. Marketing probably plays the biggest role here.

13. MarkCO

Great advice!

TRUE!

I notice the guys who prefer heavy rifles for hunting often do sit vs. walk, but more than that, low elevation, east of the Mississippi and highly forested. I am doing goats next year at 12,000 feet, want to come along with a 12 pound rifle? NOT knocking the choice, just pointing out what should now be obvious in this thread...The environment in which you will use the equipment and the nature of the "quarry" has a large impact on the choice.

14. farley45

farley45

Rifles labeled "tactical" are generally much more expensive, heavier, and not available in very many calibers.

15. dosei

dosei

Close...

I hunt deer in Kansas. Lots of sitting but when you walk, your walking a LOT. Lots of wide open areas bordered with hedge rows. Shots out to 400+ yards. I've also backpacked over the Continental Divide in Rocky Mountain National Park carrying a lot more gear and weight then I ever take on a hunt, so humping a 12 lb rifle and and some gear at 12,000-14,000 is not a problem.

16. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

wow 1000 yard elk hunting ..

thats a new one to me

17. MarkCO

1000 is far, but long range hunting, while not common, by skilled and practiced marksmen who know their drops, windage and fieldcraft is not new.

Check out: http://www.thebestofthewest.net/

So as to not drift the thread, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Sako M75.

All the accuracy but without the weight of a "tactical sniper" rifle.

19. Short Cut

That's the thing. I find the tactical heavy barreled, adjustable stock, bolt action rifles interesting. However I have a couple of bolt action hunting rifles, a .270 and a .300 Win Mag, that shoot under MOA. I took an antelope with a well placed heart-lung shot this past year in ~15 MPH quartering wind at 506 yards with the .300.

So I'm curious what I'd be gaining by getting a tac-bolt that I don't already have the capability of.

20. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

a smaller bank account and bigger arms

...and you look cooler at the range