Glock Talk banner

Tactical 12 Gauge : Ideal Attributes You Require For Home Defense ?

3060 Views 76 Replies 51 Participants Last post by  glide
In terms of a 12 gauge tactical shotgun used primarily for home defense - what are the ideal attributes you consider necessary versus those which may merely be "tacti-cool" ?
Reactions: Hauki
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

· Premium Member
281 Posts
I have seen a lot more malfunctions with semi-autos than pumps over 30+ years as a shooter, instructor, etc. It is a fantasy to claim the pump can malfunction but the semi works as long as you pull the trigger.

For all practical purposes they are also equally fast, since recovery from recoil has more to do with how fast you can shoot than the speed of manually pumping. Then again, the reason we choose shotguns is that we don't need multiple shots fast.
I agree from a historical perspective - older semis seemed to be a malfunction waiting to happen rather than when - but I believe the better made ones suffered more from neglect/poor maintenance, poor ammo and gunsmith ignorance than any design flaws. With todays semis like the Benelli and Berettas, I trust them completely and feel (at least in my use for 3gun) completely confident. I only use quality ammo, maintain regularly and so far after about 3k rounds in my 2 Benellis no flaws, and about 2.5k in my Beretta same. Whether real or imagined, my M2s have far less felt recoil than my 870s, and I stay on target easier with them.
There is nothing like the sound and drama of racking a round in an 870! And I suspect that sound and sight has diffused a few situations. But if I read the news right, diffusing situations seem to be less and less probable and smooth and accurate more necessary.
I have both types and will never lose my pumps, but in a purely tactical situation I like the time on target, lower recoil, speed and reliability of my semis (Benelli, Beretta, Remington). I am sure there are other models that shooters here feel just as confident in - and to be equally clear, I watched a guy 2 months ago shooting 3 gun with an 870 who beat my (shotgun) score, so the old dog is still in the hunt - but I would give the newer models a slight edge.
Could be that I am a sucker for comfort over speed at this point in my journey too! Probably not a right or wrong decision so much as what is best for the individual shouldering the weapon.

Reactions: MarkCO and Hauki

· Combat Diver
3,770 Posts
Ammo on the gun
Sling
Flashlight mounted on the gun
Fiber optic or night sights
Shorter stock or adjustable stock for shorter length of pull
I will add the light must be manageable at all times during the operation of the firearm. Semiauto shotguns are not an issue, but it is a huge issue on the pump guns, as most lights are mounted forward of the foregrip on the mag tube or barrel.

· Super Moderator
9,039 Posts
Probably not a right or wrong decision so much as what is best for the individual shouldering the weapon.
As long as the shotgun gets shot regularly and the springs changed out. A semi, sitting in a corner for years with a stack of buckshot, much higher chance of a malfunction than if a pump.

· Registered
4,159 Posts
OP/ChrisD46,
I'm seeing many similarly described shotguns in the prior posts in this thread.
I'm wondering if the thread has helped anybody who may not have the shotgun set-up already figured out.
Many folks will have some differences, whether based on training, brand preferences, action preferences, preconceived scenarios; ammo preferences; and some who may not have answered won't like a shotgun at all.

I went from being issued an 18.5" Remington 870 with 4 rounds of double-00 buck ammo, and not much training as to how or when to use the gun (bead sight, no sling);
A new department had much more training.
-to a 20" Mossberg 590A1 (bead sight, no sling, 00-buck and slugs, spare ammo in the stock);
-later, slings were added to the shotguns by the department;
-later, the 20" bead sighted 590A1 guns were replaced with ghost ring sighted guns;
-still later the 20" ghost ring sighted guns were replaced with 14" guns.

If a shotgun is decided upon, get a shotgun. Get training. Outfit your shotgun the way you want it or see fit.
Here's an idea of what some departments/agencies have or used to order if still ordering shotguns:

I like the Mossberg 590A1 and Remington 870. My Remington 11-87P will be totally obsolete if it breaks again and is basically retired from being used. I'm considering a Beretta 1301, Mossberg 940 Pro Tactical, or the yet to be announced but forthcoming Beretta semiauto (I don't know anymore about it). I suppose I'd consider a Benelli M4, but I find it hard to get over it's $2000+ initial buy in and then another few hundred in probable accessories (light, ammo carrier, sling, mounting hardware [personal preferences]). Ammo would be an on-going expense over the years whether the gun was new to me or not, but would want more ammo at first with a new gun to thoroughly be confident with that new gun.

· Registered
1,106 Posts
As long as the shotgun gets shot regularly and the springs changed out. A semi, sitting in a corner for years with a stack of buckshot, much higher chance of a malfunction than if a pump.

How? Both have springs...are you saying the semi springs are weaker than the pump springs...or am I reading your statement wrong?

· Super Moderator
9,039 Posts
How? Both have springs...are you saying the semi springs are weaker than the pump springs...or am I reading your statement wrong?
Yes, they both have springs. But a pump spring can be SO much softer since timing is not an issue. Also, buckshot deforms the hulls (why buffered #1 is a good choice) and leads to feed issues that a pump won't have.

· Registered
18 Posts
Ha! Funny thing... this was an unexpected birthday gift from wifey. Then I went nuts tricking it out. The saddle-mounted shells are 00-Buck. Light is a combo laser (TLR-8).

View attachment 1141602

It seems to maintain zero quite well... though, I have run only 75 rounds through it so far.

View attachment 1141601

It's far easier to shoot that you'd imagine. The "recoil strap" on the grip makes it super-easy and comfortable to control. It's like slipping on a glove.

And it is LOADS of fun!
Your wife got good taste, it's nice. Congratulations dude.

· Premium Member
159 Posts

· NRA Life Member
75,657 Posts
I will add the light must be manageable at all times during the operation of the firearm. Semiauto shotguns are not an issue, but it is a huge issue on the pump guns, as most lights are mounted forward of the foregrip on the mag tube or barrel.
On most pump shotguns I have actually seen used by people I know, the lights are part of the forend - Surefire or Streamlight. The cheap-o lights that clamp on the barrel are usually a budget item popular among the mall ninja class.

· Combat Diver
3,770 Posts
On most pump shotguns I have actually seen used by people I know, the lights are part of the forend - Surefire or Streamlight. The cheap-o lights that clamp on the barrel are usually a budget item popular among the mall ninja class.
I have a surefire on my favorite 870. Sadly, I have grown fond of the Benelli Nova tactical and have not seen such a device for this shotgun.

· Registered
4,159 Posts
POST 73,
This QD mount with opposing Picatinny rail is the only thing I've seen which should work with a Benelli Nova.

Perhaps I shall look into what Benelli's pump shotgun has to offer. I'd never researched this model or considered one.

Edited to add:
Here's a bunch more accessories for the Benelli Nova:

· Super Moderator
9,039 Posts
Perhaps I shall look into what Benelli's pump shotgun has to offer. I'd never researched this model or considered one.
It's pretty good. What I use for Heavy Division in 3Gun. The Stoeger P3000 is a less expensive clone.

Reactions: L-2

· Just sayin'
4,682 Posts
Incorporated in my Mossberg 500 Cruiser 12 gauge shotgun:

Knoxx recoil reducing stock
Surefire weaponlight forearm
Vickers Two point sling
Hi-vis follower
Mesa Tactical side mount shell holder
OO Buck shot shells

61 - 77 of 77 Posts