Glock Talk banner

Tactical 12 Gauge : Ideal Attributes You Require For Home Defense ?

3060 Views 76 Replies 51 Participants Last post by  glide
In terms of a 12 gauge tactical shotgun used primarily for home defense - what are the ideal attributes you consider necessary versus those which may merely be "tacti-cool" ?
Reactions: Hauki
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

· Premium Member
Lenexa, KS (Kansas City Metro)
763 Posts
I have a Mossberg 590 50788 where the mag tube holds 6 shells that I use for home defense. I don't have a sling because I think I would get "tangled up" in the sling compared to no sling at all. Comments on this are appreciated.

Reactions: NoStress

· Registered
1,429 Posts
We all have a scenario in mind for when a home invasion happens at our place, and that is a good thing to plan for. However, things don't always go as planned and it is important to consider alternatives.

My go to shotgun is a Kel-Tec KSG. It is relatively short and maneuverable and holds 14 rounds of 2 3/4 shells and more of the short Aguilla shells if I so desire (and if that isn't enough, I probably should have grabbed the AR). One tube is 00 buck, and the other slugs. I have a light/laser on it if I need to identify a target, and a sling in case I have to let go of the shotgun and transition to a handgun without anyone else being able to pick it up and use it against me. I have Magpul sight for accuracy when needed.

The scenario in my mind is to be able to deal with the eventualities I planned for, and those I haven't even thought of.

Reactions: Nanuk

· Registered
2,909 Posts
Short LOP stock (I use Hogue).

Ammo on gun (velcro sidesaddle from Vang Comp)

Decent sights (I have ghost rings).

No sling.

Light (Surefire 1000 Lumen forend)

Short barrel (if you want to get involved with NFA....otherwise 18 in.)

· Registered
3,320 Posts
A light on a pump shotgun for me has to be integrated into the forend. Nothing else worked well enough and in fact was a detriment to slide operation and sighting in some cases.

No sling necessary. They can also interfere with operating the slide and loading, and can get in the way of the light beam.

I have a big tritium front sight but at 10 yards or so the bead would work fine, with decent lighting or by using its silouhette against a lit up target.

I have 2 cards with 6 shells each attached but that isn't necessary either. However if the shotgun was all I had I'd hate to not have any extra shells available.

· ****** Viejo
32,849 Posts
I've had death threats as part of the job. I prefer to have a shotgun handy. When I was young a 12 ga worked well. As an old guy I found the 20 ga works well for me. Get what you can handle, add a light, a sling and a side saddle. You should be GTG. tom. 🎅

Reactions: G30 Medic

· Registered
G38.3 G38.3
18 Posts
My Two Cents for a Home Defense Shotgun
My first choice would be a Remington 870, with a Mossberg not far behind.
Barrel length 18-20 with an open choke.

ADD TO LIST:
FIRST Streamlight TL Racker Forend with 1000 Lumen Light so that you can see the target.
SECOND would be a HI visibility front sight.
A Side Saddle Shell Carrier if you can stand the added weight of six more rounds on the weapon.

TRAINING Get familiar with your shotgun.
Take it out and shoot up boxes of shells. Practice loading and unloading it so that you know what all the functions are. Use the Safety so you get familiar with using it. You need to know how to get the shotgun open with a round chambered or just cocked with no round in the chamber. This sounds simple to those of us who shoot shotguns a lot. This may not be so simple to a novice. Learn how to take it apart and clean it.

I store my shotgun with a loaded tube and no round in the chamber. My advice is to check the chamber and make sure you have no shell in the chamber, then pull the trigger so that the hammer is down when stored. You can now just pump the shotgun to get it up and running.
If you stored it Cocked with no round in the chamber you will need to remember to push the slide release to pump the shotgun. That is just one more thing to remember under stress.

Last keep spare shells in a 25 Round Box in the same room that you store the gun in. This will have reloads in a box big enough to find in a hurry.

Just my Two Cents.

Bob R

· Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)

ADD TO LIST:
FIRST Streamlight TL Racker Forend with 1000 Lumen Light so that you can see the target.
A Side Saddle Shell Carrier if you can stand the added weight of six more rounds on the weapon.

Take it out and shoot up boxes of shells. Practice loading and unloading it so that you know what all the functions are. Use the Safety so you get familiar with using it. You need to know how to get the shotgun open with a round chambered or just cocked with no round in the chamber. This sounds simple to those of us who shoot shotguns a lot. This may not be so simple to a novice. Learn how to take it apart and clean it.

I store my shotgun with a loaded tube and no round in the chamber. My advice is to check the chamber and make sure you have no shell in the chamber, then pull the trigger so that the hammer is down when stored. You can now just pump the shotgun to get it up and running.
If you stored it Cocked with no round in the chamber you will need to remember to push the slide release to pump the shotgun. That is just one more thing to remember under stress.

Last keep spare shells in a 25 Round Box in the same room that you store the gun in. This will have reloads in a box big enough to find in a hurry.

Just my Two Cents.

Bob R
*Good pointers ! ... *I love what I see in the Mossberg 590 model - add a light and any other mods you deem important and there is some company out there that makes it !

· Premium Member
159 Posts
My go to shotgun is an 18" FN SLP. I have sling, a 6 round side saddle, and a TRL-HL light. My SLP is for HD so I use full power 9 pellet buckshot. I also have a bandolier that holds 50 extra shotshells as well. I can though it over my shoulder if need be.

· Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

ADD TO LIST:

Just my Two Cents.

Bob R
Depends on what year the Remington 870 was made ? ... Newer ones may have reliability issues !

· Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
We all have a scenario in mind for when a home invasion happens at our place, and that is a good thing to plan for. However, things don't always go as planned and it is important to consider alternatives.

My go to shotgun is a Kel-Tec KSG. It is relatively short and maneuverable and holds 14 rounds of 2 3/4 shells and more of the short Aguilla shells if I so desire (and if that isn't enough, I probably should have grabbed the AR). One tube is 00 buck, and the other slugs. I have a light/laser on it if I need to identify a target, and a sling in case I have to let go of the shotgun and transition to a handgun without anyone else being able to pick it up and use it against me. I have Magpul sight for accuracy when needed.

The scenario in my mind is to be able to deal with the eventualities I planned for, and those I haven't even thought of.
Interesting Bulpup - how is the reliability with your Keltek (especially with the mini-shells ?)

· Registered
1,429 Posts
Interesting Bulpup - how is the reliability with your Keltek (especially with the mini-shells ?)
It has run flawlessly with the mini's and 2 3/4 shell of all brands both slugs and buckshot.

· Registered
3,157 Posts
I have a Mossberg 590 50788 where the mag tube holds 6 shells that I use for home defense. I don't have a sling because I think I would get "tangled up" in the sling compared to no sling at all. Comments on this are appreciated.
Everyone's situation is different. I prefer a shotgun without a sling and with a conventional stock. I dont need a full stock with a pistol grip or a sling getting hung up on something if I am moving around in the dark. There is enough light from clocks and other electronics for me to move about without other lighting and to see my front sight. A white rag tied around the muzzle.
But I don't use a shotgun anymore. No one is forcing their way in without tools and time. I would call the troopers and make some coffee. Should have kept my 590 Mariner but I can handle whatever with a 1911 or a rifle if the troopers take too long to get here.

· Registered
5 Posts
I have a Mossberg Retrograde 590 in the bedroom. The furthest I have to shoot inside is 13 yards. My requirements is a tube full of flite control 00 buckshot. That’s it, stock bead, no slings, lights or lasers. The fight will be inside, up close n personal and over quickly (one way or the other). All the $$ I save on no accessories lets me buy lots of practice ammo. I shoot cheap #7-9 shot doing a lot of practice. I always mix in a few buckshot, but I don’t want to blow through my stockpile of 00. You never know, might not be able to replace it easily

· Registered
180 Posts
in your opinion.
Comparing the best of both platforms which pump in the hands of an untrained or highly trained person will perform better than a semi like the M4 or 1301T? Even with induced stress a noob only has to press the trigger to make it go bang unlike the pump a noob can easily short stroke it. The comparison has to be made with the same person operating the shotguns.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

· NRA Life Member
75,657 Posts
Comparing the best of both platforms which pump in the hands of an untrained or highly trained person will perform better than a semi like the M4 or 1301T? Even with induced stress a noob only has to press the trigger to make it go bang unlike the pump a noob can easily short stroke it. The comparison has to be made with the same person operating the shotguns.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
I have seen a lot more malfunctions with semi-autos than pumps over 30+ years as a shooter, instructor, etc. It is a fantasy to claim the pump can malfunction but the semi works as long as you pull the trigger.

For all practical purposes they are also equally fast, since recovery from recoil has more to do with how fast you can shoot than the speed of manually pumping. Then again, the reason we choose shotguns is that we don't need multiple shots fast.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts