Glock Talk banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

· NRA & SAF mbr
6,355 Posts
I kept mine simple
You're missing out on some of the fun!
Mossberg Shockwave
(I have no relation to the company other than being a customer.)

If you get only one thing... This makes a huge difference.

· Huge Member
12,375 Posts
Considering the likelihood of actually having to use a shotgun for home defense, let alone getting in a running gun battle with one is pretty slim... a basic 5 shot 18.5" bbl pump gun is what I use. No lights, slings, ammo carriers...nothing I don't need. KISS.

BTW, I used it in a tactical shotgun class last spring and it worked fine. Whereas Tommy Tactical's extended mag, super duper, Red Dot shotgun with all kinds of crap hanging off it constantly needed attention. Not to mention it's operator ran out of gas lugging it around.

· Stepping down to the gin palace
10,823 Posts
In terms of a 12 gauge tactical shotgun used primarily for home defense - what are the ideal attributes you consider necessary versus those which may merely be "tacti-cool" ?
Shotgun+Ammo= good to go!

· Registered
339 Posts
In terms of a 12 gauge tactical shotgun used primarily for home defense - what are the ideal attributes you consider necessary versus those which may merely be "tacti-cool" ?
  • 100% reliability
  • Tested/patterned with intended defensive rounds (e.g., Federal Flitecontrol 00) in conjunction with evaluation of intended home defense plan.
  • Practice - of course with the firearm shooting, clearing, loading but more importantly with the family just like a fire or other emergency.

Everything else is fluff compared to those. For instance, if your home provides a way to gather all loved ones into a single room and defend it, you might want a gun/choke/buck combo that spreads out a bit. If you will need to clear some space to ensure their safety, a tight group is important, and you might not want that 28" trap barrel.

Still, extras like extended capacity, side saddles, nice controls, stocks, loading ports, etc. are good to have and not pointless, and make the shotty easier to use, to hit with, more versatile, more fun (see above about practice!). Same as any other firearm, basically, just different stuff.

tl;dr fit the arm to your defense plan, not the other way around.

· Registered
39,708 Posts
I'm of the 'basic' philosophy. 12GA pump. I do prefer the shorter forend (wood or plastic is inconsequential), as the longer sporting one can easily catch & pinch/cut skin at the front of the receiver.

My plainclothes shotgun for several years was a reconditioned 870 18" w/standard 4-sheel mag tube, although I had a short side-saddle on it. I didn't attach a standard or other sling (like our Patrol 870's) because my anticipated plainclothes employment of it wouldn't require I be able to sling it. It was old, but it had been inspected and cleaned up, by both the head armorer, and myself when I used it for an 870 armorer class one time.

I'm neither a bird hunter nor a sporting clays shooter, so my personal 12GA's are only an old 36" Topper (gift from my dad), a budget 870 w/standard mag tube (28" vent ribbed/choke barrel replaced with 18" cylinder bore), and a Winchester 1200 w/extended mag tube (another gift from my dad many years ago). I let one of the newer 870 armors go through my budget 870, and updated the mag tube spring.

While a light is not a bad option, I don't feel like using any of the aftermarket forends that incorporate lights, as they usually don't accommodate my pump SG technique preference. Instead of a side-saddle, I simply keep a nicely configured bandolier of the Buck & Slugs I use with the SG's in the safe. Anyway, I spent enough years carrying an extra 5rd box of Buck or Slugs in a patrol jacket pocket, or a 2-shell plastic carrier clipped to my gun belt, to feel particularly 'under-gunned' with only 4-10 shells at hand.

· NRA Life Member
7,268 Posts
I'm also not going to be clearing rooms during a burglary/home invasion. I will stay in the locked bedroom. Anybody that forces that door will get blasted with my HD shotgun.

I like a 12 gauge pump with a sling, weaponlight, and extra ammo attached to the gun. Thats it. I personally use a 6 round side saddle stoked with 00BS, and a 5 round stock sleeve filled with slugs. The gun is loaded with 8 rounds of 00BS.

· Registered
39,708 Posts
I'm also not going to be clearing rooms during a burglary/home invasion. I will stay in the locked bedroom. Anybody that forces that door will get blasted with my HD shotgun.
Yep. Unless I have to go to where a family member is in another area of the house/property, and being threatened, I'd rather be in the position of a violent intruder having to come to me. (This is why so many cops in FoF training involving building searches are 'killed' by bad guy roll-players waiting to ambush them.)

I had to search and clear more residences, commercial buildings and fenced area 'structures' during my career, that I don't want to have to do it on my own. Sure, there were countless times when I had to do such things without cover, but when it comes right down to it, building searches and sweeps are always best done as a 'team sport', and I particularly liked it when the circumstances made the use of a K9 to conform to policy. ;)

· NRA Life Member
7,268 Posts
Yep. Unless I have to go to where a family member is in another area of the house/property, and being threatened, I'd rather be in the position of a violent intruder having to come to me. (This is why so many cops in FoF training involving building searches are 'killed' by bad guy roll-players waiting to ambush them.)

I had to search and clear more residences, commercial buildings and fenced area 'structures' during my career, that I don't want to have to do it on my own. Sure, there were countless times when I had to do such things without cover, but when it comes right down to it, building searches and sweeps are always best done as a 'team sport', and I particularly liked it when the circumstances made the use of a K9 to conform to policy. ;)
Amen brother! No body armor, no radio, no backup, and no family elsewhere in the house to worry about here. And as you eluded to, you have the tactical advantage by sitting and waiting for the intruder to come to you. Just because I clear buildings at work, doesn't mean I want to do it at home without all of those additonal things.

· Registered
39,708 Posts
Amen brother! No body armor, no radio, no backup, and no family elsewhere in the house to worry about here. And as you eluded to, you have the tactical advantage by sitting and waiting for the intruder to come to you. Just because I clear buildings at work, doesn't mean I want to do it at home without all of those additonal things.
There was one time when I was enroute home in my unmarked veh (870 in trunk), and learned that a local county drug task force had just engaged in a shooting incident with some suspects at a rural drug compound, hidden in some hills not that far from our semi-rural community. The nature of many properties not having fences around their properties/yards, and the reported DoT of a suspect who had fled the scene, on foot, possibly armed with a FA subgun/rifle, made it seem not impossible that he might reach our property. Sigh.

First thing I did, while still enroute, was call my wife. Luckily, she was at her church for a choir practice. Grown kids not living at home. No dog. Black as pitch due to nature of community and hills. No alarm.

I arrived and parked in our open car port (no garage in that property), clearing my way to the front door. No sign of forced entry. I was NOT going to go out back and search the orchard or pool house area for armed suspect who just demonstrated a willingness to engage an armed TEAM of cops. Instead, I went to my safe and pulled the AR. Did I forget to mention the suspects were reported to have worn body armor? An issued .45ACP and an 870 isn't up to defeating body armor, right?

Knowing the layout of the old ranch-style house, and each and every one of its normal nighttime sounds (nice creaky floors, even though there was some tile and carpeting in some rooms), I waited at one end of the house, listening to/for anything. Finally, believing I was alone, I cautiously cleared the rest of the house, and detached family room (connected via breezeway), and found all doors, windows and locks intact. Still no way I was going out back to the orchard, pool area and the estate of the neighbor at the rear of our orchard.

Soon learned suspect had been apprehended. Called wife to let her know it was safe to come home. Returned AR to safe.

There have only been a couple other instances where something happening in that semi-rural community, and now the rural community where we bought property, which compelled me to pull the 870 and/or AR from the safe. Still not going to venture far to clear anything anymore. I'm no longer paid or expected to do so. Might change if some exigent circumstance were to (again) occur where the local SO can't respond, or has encountered a nasty incident nearby.

Never say never, but I'd just as soon wait and make any violent threats come to me, nowadays.

Stay safe brother. ;)

· How'smydriving?
2,655 Posts
Size & reliability have to be 1 & 2 IMO.
My shockwave will take on this roll once I finally get it to the range to make sure it's reliable. Someone earlier said a light. I don't necessarily disagree, but now that has me wondering if I should put one on this or not. I have the 14-in barrel version

· Premium Member
281 Posts
  • 100% reliability
  • Tested/patterned with intended defensive rounds (e.g., Federal Flitecontrol 00) in conjunction with evaluation of intended home defense plan.
  • Practice - of course with the firearm shooting, clearing, loading but more importantly with the family just like a fire or other emergency.

tl;dr fit the arm to your defense plan, not the other way around.
Agree!
I like shotguns, but in an emergency I'd like to have options, and a predetermined "plan" for what to grab. I have small kids, dogs, cat, wife all in the house to consider. I have been awakened a few times with noise from a cat, dog or mischievous little person. Important because a light helps in identifying the situation/target. Hard to manage a shotgun and a handheld light, so my "grab and goes" all have TLR2-HL attached.
My shotgun of choice is my M2, 20" barrel is a bit long for clearing a house but with higher capacity tube excellent for a sheltering scenario. I also have an older 11-87 that is stored in another part of the house, tube extension, TLR2-HL as well, Aimpoint pro mounted.

I like "old school" too so, in my truck vault, an old Mossberg 500, pistol grip. All have a side saddle attached with extra rounds - but I think if I am needing more than 8-10 rounds I am wanting my pistol or AR.

The TLR has held zero well - and the 1000 lumens definitely lights up a space. I have TLR8As on other weapons, and a SurefireX400 on one, but found I prefer the 2HL overall. I like the Aimpoint on the 11-87.

I have played with getting the new Berretta or the Mossberg 940 - but I have had my M2 and 11-87 for so long it feels like a part of me! I like the speed and dependability of the semi-autos. I have other options in 12ga but I am "better" with the 11-87 and M2, mostly because I am back on target faster.

Oversized charging knob is a must for me, side saddle as well, mounted light is also a "need" item (mounted so use is optional/tactical), extended tube (highest capacity possible without extending the overall length of the gun). Ideas I am playing with include a mesa tactical stock adapter adding Magpul furniture (LEO® Gen II Telescoping Stock Adapter for Rem 870 (12-GA only)), and Trijicon front sight (M2). Anyone tried these 2 items? Feedback?

· Bitter American
1,941 Posts
Size & reliability have to be 1 & 2 IMO.
My shockwave will take on this roll once I finally get it to the range to make sure it's reliable. Someone earlier said a light. I don't necessarily disagree, but now that has me wondering if I should put one on this or not. I have the 14-in barrel version
I've got the Shockwave and added a Crimson Trace Laser Saddle green laser. It's right on the money and can be fired easily from the hip. The mini #4 buckshot make it pretty manageable.

· Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Not sure why I would require a sling for a HD shot gun ? I agree good front / rear sights could be beneficial as would be additional shells attached to the receiver plus a mounted light / laser on a reliable pump with a 20 inch (or less) open choke barrel and shoulder stock. I'm not against a reliable semi - auto but to obtain a good one can cost $$$ (as in Bennelli M4) . No one mentioned a "bullpup" style 12 gauge yet for HD ?

· Registered
39,708 Posts
Not sure why I would require a sling for a HD shot gun ? I agree good front / rear sights could be beneficial as would be additional shells attached to the receiver plus a mounted light / laser on a reliable pump with a 20 inch (or less) open choke barrel and shoulder stock. I'm not against a reliable semi - auto but to obtain a good one can cost $$$ (as in Bennelli M4) . No one mentioned a "bullpup" style 12 gauge yet for HD ?
Sling?

If the time ever comes I have to fire one of my shotguns in self defense, the last thing I want is for it to be slung on my body (within reach of my hands) when the local SO arrives to start sorting things out. It's not going to be anywhere near my hands/body by the time they arrive. I've been on the 'arriving' side of things too many times not to realize that first impressions (GUN!!!) can be pretty critical in many respects. ;)

· Registered
5,290 Posts
I'm of the 'basic' philosophy. 12GA pump. I do prefer the shorter forend (wood or plastic is inconsequential), as the longer sporting one can easily catch & pinch/cut skin at the front of the receiver.

My plainclothes shotgun for several years was a reconditioned 870 18" w/standard 4-sheel mag tube, although I had a short side-saddle on it. I didn't attach a standard or other sling (like our Patrol 870's) because my anticipated plainclothes employment of it wouldn't require I be able to sling it. It was old, but it had been inspected and cleaned up, by both the head armorer, and myself when I used it for an 870 armorer class one time.

I'm neither a bird hunter nor a sporting clays shooter, so my personal 12GA's are only an old 36" Topper (gift from my dad), a budget 870 w/standard mag tube (28" vent ribbed/choke barrel replaced with 18" cylinder bore), and a Winchester 1200 w/extended mag tube (another gift from my dad many years ago). I let one of the newer 870 armors go through my budget 870, and updated the mag tube spring.

While a light is not a bad option, I don't feel like using any of the aftermarket forends that incorporate lights, as they usually don't accommodate my pump SG technique preference. Instead of a side-saddle, I simply keep a nicely configured bandolier of the Buck & Slugs I use with the SG's in the safe. Anyway, I spent enough years carrying an extra 5rd box of Buck or Slugs in a patrol jacket pocket, or a 2-shell plastic carrier clipped to my gun belt, to feel particularly 'under-gunned' with only 4-10 shells at hand.
I once got the cuff of a Carhartt coat stuck between the long fore end and receiver. Swapped it out not long after that.

Reactions: fastbolt
21 - 40 of 77 Posts