Glock Talk banner

Tactical 12 Gauge : Ideal Attributes You Require For Home Defense ?

3074 Views 76 Replies 51 Participants Last post by  glide
In terms of a 12 gauge tactical shotgun used primarily for home defense - what are the ideal attributes you consider necessary versus those which may merely be "tacti-cool" ?
Reactions: Hauki
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

· Registered
28,314 Posts
That it is reliable ---

I used a Winchester Model 12 with a 30" barrel for over 25 years before I got my 870 with an 18 inch barrel.

Since I am not going to go bedroom to bedroom - checking closets and under the bed with it - it simply does not matter.

Now what I am saying doesn't mean you can't add some stuff to your gun - just that because you don't have a bunch of things hanging on your gun it will still put bad guys down -

I have gone back and forth with adding a light - I have one on my G21 and it is pretty nice - if I was adding something I would start with a light and maybe some extra rounds on a side saddle.

· Registered
4,906 Posts
I have a GForce 12 ga semi-auto (made in Turkey) that's been 100% reliable with high brass rounds. IIRC it has a 20" barrel and came with several chokes. I did mount an under barrel light, and loaded with O-O buck it's devastating at close ranges, I'd say 30 yards or less.

· A swamp dude
12,588 Posts
This is all I have…basic, factory setup…reliable, sweet handling. This was a never-issued police shotgun that I acquired when the agency upgraded. If I ever need it, I hope to be hunkered down behind the bed praying that an intruder doesn’t appear in the doorway.
Font Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Rectangle

· Registered
1,279 Posts
Riot length barrel(18-21 in)
Extra rounds on gun(sidesaddle, or butt cuff)
Sling( with single point, or 2 point
Red Dot on top, Hi Viz over bead
Tact light/laser(barrel mount or rail)
Magpul stock(has lower wrist placement)
Don't like pistol grip without shoulder stock( hurts wrist on firing) With stock works
Pump action ( Mossberg, Rem 870, Winch 1200, Stevens 320 all work for me)
Barrel ExtensionCarry, 25 rd bandoleer is ok too.
Practice, clean and lube.

· NRA Life Member
75,701 Posts
In terms of a 12 gauge tactical shotgun used primarily for home defense - what are the ideal attributes you consider necessary versus those which may merely be "tacti-cool" ?
It should have a barrel no longer than 20 inches and shoot shotgun shells. Longer barrels would be OK in a double barrel. 12 gauge is all I would consider, but smaller/weaker people could get by with 20. Nothing else is necessary. Nice improvements would include more ammo and a light, since it's hard to hold a shotgun and a handheld light at the same time.

· Registered
1,833 Posts
Dude, stirred the pot you did. Those look like Brenneke slugs. And in two handed, unaimed, blunderbuss like that, not sure what use slugs are. Maybe that light has a laser on it; I can only image how inconsistent that zero is mounted to the magazine tube. But it looks Mad Max tough, and I'm sure carries some street cred. mega-badassness, so you might not even have to pull the trigger. The sight of it might be sufficient for instilling peace talks with the perp.

· WHAT GLOCK?
137 Posts
I don't need much... The gauge needs to be 12... Pump fed thru a tube, 5 shots or better...

...but then, to be fair, I wouldn't use a shotgun for home defense, unless I was being attacked by doves. I see the draw for most people, but my location allows me to be a little less forgiving when it comes to the bump in the night lead options.

Reactions: Hauki

· Registered
1,833 Posts
To answer the OP's question. Functionality with various types of shells, from non-lethal, to birdshot, to buckshot, to slugs. Some sort of sight for slugs. Sling is good. Ammo on stock is great. 18" barrel with interchangeable choke tubes. Everyone's needs are different, here the street sweeper gets backyard protection duty; bears are an honest and real predator in our yard. They've gotten in the chicken coup three times and stole a front elk quarter out of a cooler in the bed of my truck in the driveway - 4 hours after parking it. I chose an 870 and have it loaded with slug, slug, buckshot, buckshot, buckshot. It holds six rounds. In this manner, I can load a non-lethal round, or birdshot round for the first shot if I want to give the bear a chance. Otherwise I figure slugs for distance and as it approaches buckshot, preferably to the face. Obviously it can serve as a two legged deterrent too, but I prefer a handgun in the close quarters of a house.

· NRA & SAF mbr
6,357 Posts
Dude, stirred the pot you did. Those look like Brenneke slugs. And in two handed, unaimed, blunderbuss like that, not sure what use slugs are. Maybe that light has a laser on it; I can only image how inconsistent that zero is mounted to the magazine tube. But it looks Mad Max tough, and I'm sure carries some street cred. mega-badassness, so you might not even have to pull the trigger. The sight of it might be sufficient for instilling peace talks with the perp.
Ha! Funny thing... this was an unexpected birthday gift from wifey. Then I went nuts tricking it out. The saddle-mounted shells are 00-Buck. Light is a combo laser (TLR-8).

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Automotive tire Camera lens Gas

It seems to maintain zero quite well... though, I have run only 75 rounds through it so far.

Automotive exterior Bumper Bicycle part Musical instrument accessory Sunglasses

It's far easier to shoot that you'd imagine. The "recoil strap" on the grip makes it super-easy and comfortable to control. It's like slipping on a glove.

And it is LOADS of fun!

· Banned
25,596 Posts
I kept it simple, Tokarev 12G with wood furniture, ext. Tube and sling. Maybe I will add a light ? I have a stribog kept close by with a light, RDS, and sling.

· Registered
7,443 Posts
Ha! Funny thing... this was an unexpected birthday gift from wifey. Then I went nuts tricking it out. The saddle-mounted shells are 00-Buck. Light is a combo laser (TLR-8).

View attachment 1141602

It seems to maintain zero quite well... though, I have run only 75 rounds through it so far.

View attachment 1141601

It's far easier to shoot that you'd imagine. The "recoil strap" on the grip makes it super-easy and comfortable to control. It's like slipping on a glove.

And it is LOADS of fun!
I bought a Shockwave just because I wanted one. But after I shot a few times I realized it is more than a guilty pleasure gun. I shoot 1 3/4” 00 buck. It is easy to shoot and with practice, accurate. I use what I think is called push/pull grip, pretty much shoot it like it has an imaginary stock. For me, it’s a good home defense shotgun. I kept mine simple, I do have a sling though (not in the photo).
Air gun Trigger Musical instrument accessory Gun barrel Shotgun

· Registered
9,634 Posts
I have two 18" mossberg pumps with shell cards. One upstairs and one downstairs.

I have a Beretta semi auto and an old Fox side by side for birds/clays. Unlike most defensive shotguns these get used.

If someday I can justify the cost I'd Set up a Beretta like in the vid and go to thunder ranch.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts