close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tabata Labor Pains

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DBradD, Feb 4, 2007.

1. DBradD

DBradD

Well, there's another human in our house tonight. My wife woke me up at 4:00am Saturday and her contractions were 3:00 apart. By the time the doula got here and took her to the hospital (with me to follow--long story...), she was 10cm! Baby was born just before 8:00. All are well, although a bit tired. I think she could log one heck of a WoD for that one, if she was a CFer!

I think I did a really stupid thing Friday night. I did tabata squats at about midnight. I swear, I thought I might pass out right after I finished that last set. Then I get about 2.5 hours of sleep. Weird thing is that my legs aren't sore even though I set a new PR of 22. I wonder if sleep screws up recover time. :rofl:

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Great news Brad, congratulations!

3. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Way to go on the tabata squats!!!!!:banana:

Oh yeah, and the new baby is cool too!;)

4. DBradD

DBradD

Thank you very much--both of you. All are well. She didn't sleep much last night, but she seems perfectly normal.

Hey BCR, I think your dancing banana is actually doing tabata squats.

CalJack, I learned something devious about tabata squats the other day. Check out the video at http://www.crossfit.com/ about 1/2 way down the page, below the two girls going a high-5. They wave their arms to allow another rep or two to be squeezed out. I had to think about why they were doing that. The arms are moving the minimum distance, so the work done by the legs & butt is lessened. The upper body is working too, though, so the total work done by the body is more and now the body has to somehow get energy to parts of the body very far apart (delts, traps, and lats get a good burn, believe it or not). That makes it A LOT more taxing! After I did that last set, I really thought I might pass out. I could've gotten 23 or 24 on all but the last set and I barely made it to 22 on that one.

How some guys get 27 is beyond me! I'm about coming off the ground at my speed.

5. California Jack

The girl in the pink shirt is obviously twisted. She appears to be smiling throughout the squats?

I use my arms for BW squats. It happens naturally. I assumed it was for balance but I think there is something to what you are saying.

6. DBradD

DBradD

I think she always looks that way. I doubt that I do much smiling during tabata squats.

I think it's possible to do more tabata squats with a vigorous arm movement, far beyond what one would do for balance. Think about sophomore dynamics--momentum and all that stuff. If you pull your arms down hard, they exert an upward force at the shoulders. AS IF tabata squats were not bad enough already!

7. California Jack

I agree Brad, I just hadn't thought it through far enough.