close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

System Restore. Are my viruses really gone?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Russ in PA, May 6, 2006.

1. Russ in PA

Russ in PA

I've really had problems with my computer over the last month. My ISP has been kicking me off-line every 30 minutes (AOL dial-up. Yea, I know already....) and I've been getting annoying McAfee pop-up boxes every time I start-up the computer. Also, Windows seems to be corrupted because I can't even shut-down the computer reliably (I often need to depress the power button to shut the damned thing off).

Anyways. I've spent literally 10 hours on the phone with Dell & AOL over the last month. Dell even came out, and replaced my modem under warranty (as it turns out...I think they replaced a perfectly serviceable modem) because they didn't know what else to do.

During my last call to Dell, the technician had me do a "system restore". During the restore process, he explained to me that the hard-drive would be returned to the way it was when it was shipped to me new.

Indeed, as promised, it seems that my computer now performs the way it did when it was new! Have I really rid myself of all of the viruses, spyware, worms, and adware that easily? I'm thinking I should do a system refresh every 90 days, just to keep things running smoothly. I don't keep much on my computers in the way of files, and don't load much software (Turbo Tax is about it). I can easily save those to a CD before refreshing the computer. Am I missing something?

2. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

That should take care of any virus problems. Viruses are software and are contained on your hard drive.

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

What happens with System Restore is that you remove the start bits from the apps installed after the restore point you choose.

Just as when you reformat with an XP CD, the files are still there afterwards--it's just that a standard OS can't see the files as there are no longer any start bits leading into them. Thus, they are ignored and can be overwritten--and of course can be deciphered in any number of ways by The Man.

That's another situation where The Ultimate Boot CD comes in so handy...just use 25 passes of 0 and 1 writes using the best wiper app it has and you have guaranteed NSA-proof destruction of your previous OS's data.

The only thing better is melting it down into slag in a foundry.

Anyhow, System Restore works pretty well most times; I always set a manual restore point before I install anything new. That way, if there are major issues you can Undo that sucker pronto in 95% of cases, and in the rest a minor cleanup of some related files might be called for.

Glad it's working better now!

4. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member