Swords....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Rabbi, Oct 8, 2010.

1. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

2. cranejc

cranejc

3. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil

Mmm, lots of inaccurate information out there (and in here). I don't want to get into any kind of argument, but there is just as much to swords, if not more, as there is to guns. You're smarter than the average flea, which gives you a head start, plus I'm guessing you may have at least a basic understanding of metallurgy and the physics involved with making a good sword. I'd recommendSword Forum International for some light reading. Basically the GlockTalk of swords. There are makers there who range from high quality production to full custom smiths who specialize in exotic materials.

If you're interested in a practical cutter, look at Angus Trim.
    Albion makes good functional historically inspired pieces.
    Christian Fletcher customizes both of the above.
    John Lundemo of OdinBlades does nice fantasy stuff.

There's just too much out there to shake a stick at, it's like asking "what gun should I get?".

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  4. doktor doom

doktor doom

A friend of mine is into Historical European Martial Arts (HEMA), and owns an Albion Constable. It cost him almost a grand, but he swears by it. Definitely not a plaything; treat it like a loaded gun when you handle it.

5. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Fantastic.

Now, not only do I have to try and skip around all the 9mm vs .45 threads, but I have to try and skip all the, "my sword's sharper than yours" threads.

Gee Mo Nee.:tongueout:

6. NeverMore1701

Oh, it's just that bad, if not worse! Been a few years since I was really into it, but it's an interesting and fairly complicated hobby.

7. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

Rabbi

You've opened a pretty good can of worms from the looks of it.

You've got the purists who will insist if you spend less than $5K you're not getting a 'real' sword and on the other end you've got what amounts to close to 'junk' swords suitable for a Christmas gift to a distant cousin

Think HK vs Jennings on a sliding scale...you pick and choose where you and your pocket book want to be. It's all good.

Here's a couple links to help you out. The first one is where I bought my sword.
    http://shop.fencing.net/
    the actual sword I bought
    http://shop.fencing.net/product_p/ca-1032.htm

Purists would insist this is not a 'real' sword but it is suitable for 'real' fencing and that is in fact what it is designed for...that and re-enactments.

Here's is the sword sub-forum on a knife forum I hang out on. If you want a custom made sword this is a starting point. Custom made swords can get quite pricey though.
    http://knifedogs.com/forumdisplay.php?100-Swords-Forum

Swords and Knives are as big an addiction as guns, in fact maybe more so.

Once you decide what genre of sword you are thinking about then you can narrow things down a bit more.

Have fun.

8. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

I think that was a compliment.

9. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

I always liked the sabre more actually.

10. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Ohh....for certain sir. Any adult hobby that's around and survived for a while can be a costly endeavor indeed. Guns are no less such an expense. Not knocking the hobby at all, just a bit amused at all the "turf" elbow shoving that I see going on. Get one of those and you're a "wanna be", get one of these though.....and you're a "real" sword master.

Much like all the gun turf wars I suppose.....hence the 9mm vs .45 comment.

Guess it's just difficult for this old brain to shift gears that suddenly. Ripped out my clutch for gosh sake.

11. NeverMore1701

Oh yeah! Eastern vs. Western, German vs. Italian, 5.56 vs 7.62... wait... :dunno:

12. hoffy

hoffy

I worked at a gun shop for a time starting in the mid '80s and the guy had been in business since he came home from the Korean War. He had about 15-18 Japanese swords, all bring-backs. Some were better than others, one was incredibly old. I have not seen a lot of swords since, but these were works of art, that were tough, we would hang cinder blocks with thick manila rope and the things went right through. You could see how the swords had been folded and hammered many times. He offered me a non com's sword for $400, no scabbard, and I wish I had bought it. They are worth a boat load of money now. I know this probably doesn't help much, but my stint there made me want one of those above all others. Good luck on your search, just deciding on the type is daunting, and I have seen some very crappy swords even my untrained eye spotted as junk. Happy hunting.

13. OldLincoln

OldLincoln

I've always wanted one like Kevin Costner had in "The Bodyguard". Sharp enough to part the silk scarf as it floated by the blade. I assume that was an "in the movies" thing, but never been sure. Can they really make them that sharp?

14. CC Glock

CC Glock

silver stag makes some nice blades but it is more for the hunter. I love them.

15. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

You can spend a lot of money on a quality sword. I've had a couple cheap ones for some time now just for show.
    First one is a Furubushidoo handmade folded Katana.
    Second is a Masahiro MA-008 I believe was either 1065 or 1060 high Carbon Steel Can't remember. Both are very sharp and functional. The viking sword is just a replica.

16. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp