Swords....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Rabbi, Oct 8, 2010.

1. lanternlad

lanternlad Mythmatician

Really?

http://www.swordsoftheeast.com/hanweibypaulchen.aspx

2. bithabus

bithabus

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. These things are dangerously low quality. Let's not start a debate, OK?

3. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

HeY Rabbi,

We have a cutlery forum right here on Glocktalk, and don't you know we just had a discussion bout this very topic:

GlockTalk Cutting Edge: Swords

Some good info on working swords - the inexpensive to the 'collector class' versions...

Another cool place to get answers to blades is here:
    The Knife Network Forums
    Rub shoulders with some of the USA's Top Knife and Sword makers... Don't worry, they keep it real in here.

HTH!

PS - time to buy some new bandaids??? :rofl:

4. lanternlad

lanternlad Mythmatician

Ok, I'll start by not believing what you wrote. I have been a connoisseur of bladed weapons for 20 years, I know the good stuff. I have researched the hell out of it. A friend of mine taught English in China and has actually been to Hanwei's factory and has seen them making the stuff the old fashioned way.

There are different tier of quality at Hanwei. You'll know the higher tiers because they cost THOUSANDS.

As for not having a debate, you started it. All I did was defend my position.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  5. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

EPIC MOMENT!!!!

Goggle is your freind

http://www.google.com/search?q=Battle+ready+swords&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

I finally get to do this to someone who actually matter.

6. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

I like my Toledo swords because they take and hold an edge very well, and they're flexible enough to not snap when cutting cane.

I never expect to use them for their intended purpose, so I may not have the best battle swords on the planet. I just like them for what they are. Show pieces that would do the job in a pinch.

7. inzone

inzone

a whetstone sharpened Machete is a very inexpensive blade of death!

8. metrogruntual

metrogruntual o__O

i'm w/inzone re: machetes

simple edged impact weapons rule

the kind of stuff a gang of 8 year olds on a brazillian beach would attack you with

9. lanternlad

lanternlad Mythmatician

Rabbi, what type of sword are you looking for? Medieval? European? Japanese? It might help if we knew what you wanted, or at least what you were going to do with it. As far as learning, here is a good place to start.

http://www.oakeshott.org/

10. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

There are good and specific reasons for sword designs over the centuries.

A machete would probably fare nearly as well as a Roman short sword, but not under the same conditions.

Personally, I prefer a fixed blade knife. Compact, useful, and deadly.

However, the utility of a sword in certain historical contexts is kind of sweet. Not practical today, but still pretty damn cool.

11. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

12. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

13. 1811guy

1811guy Formerly1811guy2

Rabbi seeks Japanese steel - he has vermin to kill. Or maybe he wants a Toledo Salamanca.

Seriously, if you are looking for a good long bladed knife, this guy knows his stuff:

http://www.cartercutlery.com/custom-hand-crafted-knives

I do not think he makes swords though. Everything he makes is HIGHLY functional though.

14. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

In all honesty, I dont know *what* I want. I just wanted a starting point for real swords to begin learning a little. I was curious what the starting price was for functional swords of various kinds and again, I didnt want to wade through the internet. I figured I would ask here and GT would focus info fairly good, fairly fast.

15. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I am not the person to answer the question about specifically where to buy, but I can say that this will vary widely by what kind of sword you are after. "Real" swordsmiths generally specialize in certain types due to the differing manufacturing techniques.

Without knowing what kind of sword, this might range from "several hundred" to "several grand", and the recommendations on who to buy from will vary more.

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Hi, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.:tongueout:

17. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

Cold Steel.

The cheapest place to buy them I have found is below. (Pricing on Cold Steel varies wildly across the web.) The website looks pretty cheesy, and they have cheap decorative stuff, cheaper stuff that pretends to be decorative but looks like crap, comically absurd fantasy pieces, etc. But they *do* carry Cold Steel, which are decent, unpretentions, non-custom, historically accurate of form, for the most part, modern of construction technique, functional swords.

http://www.trueswords.com/advanced_...ords=cold+steel+sword&search_in_description=1

(These are the kinds of swords you'll be fine with if, like me, you're willing to spend $50-$100 on a decent knife, but more than that seems like you have better things to do with your money. If you are the type who can happily spend hundreds of dollars on a knife, then you need to mosey on over to some sword forums and learn about the "premium" stuff, cuz I know absolutely nothing about "premium" stuff.

I also rescue my animals, paint my own house, collect plastic handguns not known for their accuracy, and buy my wife flowers just to surprise her, but only if they are on sale... YMMV.)

18. treeline

treeline

I've seen Darksword Armory Norman swords used by a Living History group as functional swords for demonstrating the cutting and piercing power of swords. Some of the other guys had the more expensive Albion swords mentioned by a previous poster. Others were used but these stuck out in my mind because they were American swords.

http://www.darksword-armory.com/

19. Uzi4U

Uzi4U NRA Life Member